Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mystery Starting Problem

Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery Starting Problem

91 Pickup 302K 2wd 4cyl

Cold start - fine
Every once in a while, after driving, the truck won't turn over and has to be push started by popping the clutch. There does seem to be some sound coming from the starter, so I think the solenoid is working but I'm just not sure. Battery is fine, I replaced it recently and it measures 12.6 V when the problem is occurring. I'm looking for any and all suggestions, especially things to do when the problem occurs again to help diagnose the issue. I just went outside to check the problem out. The truck has been sitting all night and it started just fine. Yesterday I had driven it around, including a little twenty mile drive, and it had to be push-started each time after that.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Next time it won't start tap on starter and try again.

Starter contacts or bad starter connection.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by barnswallow
There does seem to be some sound coming from the starter, so I think the solenoid is working but I'm just not sure.
Always check for good, clean connections.

Then verify what's causing the sound. Better that you verify than us to guess remotely. Have someone try starting while you listen to/feel starter solenoid (piggy-backed on the starter motor).

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Next time it won't start tap on starter and try again. Starter contacts or bad starter connection. :wabbit2:
If solenoid clicks but no crank, yes most probably solenoid contacts.
If solenoid clicks after you give it a tap- could be stuck solenoid, or voltage drop in circuit from battery to solenoid coil, causing not enough power to move solenoid plunger.

If after solenoid clicks, starter groans, trying to turn, and you're absolutely sure battery is fine, could be bad starter winding, bad starter brushes (not sure if starter has brushes- haven't opened one, yet).
If tap makes it work, possibly mechanically stuck starter.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Verify the click you hear is the solenoid and not the starter relay. In diagnosing my truck's starting issue's I thought I was hearing the solenoid click but I was actually hearing the starter relay click. A quick temporary by-pass of my starter relay told me the relay was no good.

Since your truck is having a heat related starting issue the problem is pointing to the starter and its solenoid.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Sounds like your loosing voltage somewhere between the ingition switch and the starter solonid ! I've seen this before and have solved the problem with a seperate solonid switch that when wired correct will bring 12 volts direct from the battery to the starter solonid . This will work if you can't find were the voltage drop is . One place to check is the netural safty switch . Hope this puts you in the right direction !