Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is my 4lo working?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is my 4lo working?

Ok, getting used to my new to me '91 4Runner 3.0 Auto, finding out all the stuff that doesn't work, needs to be replaced, fixed or whatever.

So I go out to put it in 4WD, it goes right in no problems, no noises, works great in 4Hi, 4WD dash light comes on and I can feel the slight vibration you get in the steering wheel in 4WD, and can feel the front diff bind up a bit when turning in 4Hi, so I know it's working.

I put it in 4lo and it sounds the same as in 4Hi, I don't get any of that sound or feel the way 4lo usually sounds, you know that really low gear sound and feel, you know what I mean, and I can accelerate at the same speed as in 4hi, which doesn't seem right.

Now this is my first Automatic, I've only ever had 5spds until now, so I am wondering if Autos don't sound the same in 4lo as 5spds do or is there something different I'm supposed to do in 4lo with an Auto, like shift the tranny down to L while in 4lo, although that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

My father has a Pathfinder Auto and I seem to remember when I have had that in 4lo I get that real low gear feel and sound.

So is my 4lo not working or do the 4Runners just not sound any different in 4lo when you have an Auto tranny?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There should be a dramatic difference in engine rpm. The auto tranny 4lo is very quiet otherwise.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 AM

Thanks InternetRoadkill........Yup that's what I mean, that really high 1st gear engine RPM where it basically rips up to 4K in a split second and you barely go anywhere, and the super low gear wine that goes with it.

I don't get either of those, it doesn't feel, sound or act any different in 4Hi when it's in 4Lo. I accelerate way too quick in 4Lo, almost like it's not in 4WD at all.

I don't think it's working, or maybe just not actually engaging into 4Lo. What would be a reason or cause for this?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:56 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You won't hear any gear whine in the auto, but you should definitely feel the gear ratio difference.

My guess is that the linkage is not adjusted right and you're never making it into 4LOW. That's the other big difference with the auto - the shifter isn't direct like it is with the manual transmissions, there's a linkage that goes from the shifter, down along the drivers side crosses over the driveshaft, and then back up the passenger side.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 AM

Thanks tc, I figured it wasn't actually going into 4Low. Any place I can find out how to adjust the linkage? I have a Haynes manual but it's not worth $#*!, not even the torque specs are right in that thing.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think your supposed to put the auto into neutral before you shift into 4lo
Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spence1016
i think your supposed to put the auto into neutral before you shift into 4lo
Nope. You can do it on the fly as long as you're not going too fast. But it does engage with a heavy clunk when you do that.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 AM

I've tried engaging 4Low in neutral and in D, and I get nothing or at least what I think is nothing. I haven't tried it on the fly, but I figure if it was gonna engage 4Low then it would do it stopped.

How tough is it to adjust the linkage?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:51 AM

The manual says you can shift into 4L if your speed is less than 18mph. But it does bang when you do it. It's better to shift when stopped.

The linkage is easy to adjust. You also want to check the condition of the bushings and make sure that there is little play in the joints.

It's unlikely the linkage came out of adjustment on it's own. You may want to check for damage. There is also a shift solenoid in the transfer case that may be sticking. I'm not sure what happens when it sticks, but it may be a possible cause for your problem.

Edit: I checked the FSM and it confirms that a faulty shift solenoid will prevent the transfer case from going into 4L. If your linkage is ok, then the solenoid would be the most likely problem. Fortunately, they are easy to change and not too expensive (about $50 + gasket & fluid).

Last edited by InternetRoadkill; 08-30-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 AM

Wow thanks for that info InternetRoadkill, I appreciate it.

So what would I be looking for on the linkage to see if it's damaged or out of adjustment? Would that also affect the 4Hi? Because my 4Hi works perfect, I've had it on the beach and 4Hi kicked ass.

What would be the adjustment on the linkage if neccesary?

Thanks again for the info.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 PM

Loose, sloppy, or damaged linkage should be self-evident.

Adjusting it is not hard, but it's too hard to describe without pics if you've never done one. Briefly, you put the selector in 2H and loosen the adjustment. The shift lever on the side of the tranny (the transfer case is the rear lever) has detents on it for each of the 3 positions. Just make sure it's centered on the detent. (In 4H, the shift lever should be straight up and down and in the center detent position.)
Old 08-31-2008, 04:30 AM

Thanks InternetRoadkill, I will take a look today and see what I find. Is there anyway to test the shift solenoid on the Xfer case to see if it's bad, or do I just have to assume it is bad, if the linkage looks good?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:05 AM

The fact that it's not shifting is basically the test. It's possible that there is a broken electrical connection to the solenoid or that the control box to the tranny has a fault. But the shift solenoids sticking are a rather common problem. To test the solenoid requires that you remove it first.