86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mounting tube on rack..need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting tube on rack..need ideas.

I'm building an awning for the 4runner, for trips out to Eastern WA where shade is a necessity. I figured I would use a 4" PVC tude to act as a carrier for evrything, and also to use for mounting one end of the awning to.

I have a yak rack with basket. There is extra load bar extending from the side of the basket to rest the tube on, but now I need to think of a way to mount it. I was kinda thinking large u-bolts to secure to the basket. Or smaller u-bolts to secure to the load bar and then use tie-downs to secure to the basket. Maybe large pipe clamps? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused... Are you trying to attach the basket or build the awning? Pictures?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:39 AM

no pics yet. tryin to mount the tube to the side of the basket. basket is already mounted. awning will attach to tube.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

I'm confused as to why you need the 4" pipe. I'm assuming this is to store the awning? I suppose that is okay, but unnecessary in my opinion. Why not just have a tarp, some parachute cord, and 2 poles, and 2 stakes. Use the parachute cord to tie directly to the rack, through the tarp, the tarp is held up by the two poles, and tension is created by stretching the cord and attaching to 2 stakes.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
baja taco has an artical about his shade awning (although its not up on his site yet)
http://bajataco.com/4x4stuff/4x4stuff.html
you might drop him a note and see if he would share some details.

ive seen articals in the past about some conduit they stick onto the ends of the "yack" rack type cross bars that extend those out 4-6 feet with a tarp on top and some support polls...
Old 04-10-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchmonster
I'm confused as to why you need the 4" pipe. I'm assuming this is to store the awning? I suppose that is okay, but unnecessary in my opinion. Why not just have a tarp, some parachute cord, and 2 poles, and 2 stakes.
The reason for the tube, aside storage for awning and fishin' poles, is to extend the useful width of the awning. If I only used the rack to tie off the tarp, I would only get about 4x6 of covered space (barely even big enough to accomodate two people with cooler). By using the tube, I can increase the tarp size to 8x10. This is all still in the planning stage so it could possibly change.

Originally Posted by snap-on
baja taco has an artical about his shade awning (although its not up on his site yet)

ive seen articals in the past about some conduit they stick onto the ends of the "yack" rack type cross bars that extend those out 4-6 feet with a tarp on top and some support polls...
I've seen this as well. Not a bad idea. I could see it useful in giving pitch to the tarp, so there's no pooling of water, say, when it rains.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Not to be smart or anything, but you could just have 3 poles and and 3 stakes, using the yota for one corner. Maybe a pole with a tennis ball on one end for the center post for water shedding. Then you could have any size tarp you want. What about one of those free standing quick canopy things?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:01 PM

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Require one more pole...one more tie down...one more stake. The fewer parts the better. Don't wanna nit-pick tho.

Perhaps what I'm lookin for is a large hose clamp.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

They make huge zip ties too. When I say huge, I mean like 3/4" wide and 3 feet long. Maybe you could find some of these, and they would be black too so they would match up with everything and, no rust!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:21 PM

I mounted two yakima axe and shovel brackets pn. 7070 to my load warrior.
then an 8' piece of 2" aluminum tube, with two stainless screws protruding 1 inche thru and above the tube, tarp grommets fit over screws then 2 large stainless washers with wing nuts hold it to the bar, two adjustable tent poles with ropes and sand anchors hold the front down to the beach. If you fish the beach as much as I, shade is a premium during july and august, plus cost of a 8x10' tarp is minimal, will shoot some photos tomorrow, if I'm not drum fishing and post tomorrow evening.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by snap-on
I thought I saw bajataco's rig somwhere. Must be an older shot tho.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...ma/awning.html
Old 04-11-2006, 05:05 AM

I saw a similar idea on a Volkswagen bus. They used some pipe hangers, basically a 1" x 2' strip of galvanized steel that is quite bendable. They wraped it around the PVC then ran a bold through the strip then the other end went up to the load bars around and bolted. They oriented the PVC pipe perpendicular to the load bars so they tubes looked kinda like bazooka pods on the side of the vehicle. It was a rather neat idea, since with end caps it is very sealed. Since the tube and bars are perpendicular the straps have a twist in them, but they looked fine. I imagine you can pick them up at lowes or something.

I thought about making some for storage rather than building a platform in the vehicle to sleep, but even with 8" PVC pipe you just don't get that much space and will probably end up buying a roof box.

JJ

Last edited by TexJJ; 04-11-2006 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:08 AM

Yakima comes through again. They really do make something for every need. Well, with the help of these two items. I'll be able to complete the awning. I was lucky enough to find the yak carriers on sale for $20... .

These will secure the tube to the load bars

These will secure the awning to the tube

Evrything is on its way, should be able to put it all together by next week. I'll post some pics when I'm done.