Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Morning Start/Hard Cold Start/Fuel Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ajetski07
Thanks everybody for being so quick to assist me, I truly appreciate it.
... usually only happens to me in the morning or rather just the first start of the day, my first thought was the cold start injector, but the CSI seems to be working my guess was that maybe it was gunked up and maybe not closing all the way, leaking gas into the intake manifold causing a flooded type situation. But, the truck had even done it to me at work at around 1:30 in the afternoon. Still certainly going to check the temp sending unit for the CSI this weekend maybe sooner if I can get to it. Is there any other temp related sensors that I should look at?
CSI could be leaking. FSM has a simple test procedure for it.
Temp senders that could affect starting and idle are on my post here
How CSI system works is here.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAD Thanks for those links, I have read some of your stuff before and I love your posts, they are always so detailed and have been very helpful to me. I will update my thread with my findings as soon as I can get some driveway time this week.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:57 PM

Jumpered the diagnostic pins today to pull codes comes back as normal. This weekend I will have time to pull a few things apart and clean them/check them. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Hey RAD, I was wondering what you used to clean your temp senders and vacuum valve? Just a steal brush, or did you use a Dremel type tool or anything?

Also, just an update on the problem, since the weather has changed here in northern California the problem has been almost non-existent, we have a had a lot of 90+ weather lately so in the morning its already in the high 60's to low 70's and it has been starting right up no problem. But we have still had some days dipping back with only highs in the 70's, on those days when I leave for work it will be in the 50's only a 10-degree difference but I have noticed that those days the cold start will show itself again.

So I have not found the exact issue yet, but this is good news because that means it is "clearly" related to temp.

Thanks everybody, I will update as soon as I can.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:29 PM

Hey RAD, I was wondering what you used to clean your temp senders and vacuum valve? Just a steal brush, or did you use a Dremel type tool or anything?
Just soaked in vinegar then hand-brush with steel brush. It went pretty quick, that's why I stress to those having temp-related issues to just do it and eliminate doubts on the senders. Don't forget to clean the thread of CSI timer switch to bare metal. I used battery terminal brush used to clean I.D. of battery connector. As soon as I put things back together, TA-DA-VROOM!
Old 05-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Just soaked in vinegar then hand-brush with steel brush. It went pretty quick, that's why I stress to those having temp-related issues to just do it and eliminate doubts on the senders. Don't forget to clean the thread of CSI timer switch to bare metal. I used battery terminal brush used to clean I.D. of battery connector. As soon as I put things back together, TA-DA-VROOM!

Thanks RAD
Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 PM

Thanks RAD
With pleasure, Sir!
Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 AM

So I haven't been having my cold start issues lately, thank you for the cleaning tips on the temp sensors RAD I really think that helped a lot. Yesterday though I stopped for coffee between work and class and I went out to my truck and turned the key and nothing. I did hear the click from the COR, but there was no constant clicking noise as if the starter was not getting enough power to it.

My first guess is that it is the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch, I shifted it into neutral and tried to start it and nothing still, got it towed home tried it a few more times at home and nothing. Went out to my truck this morning and it fired right up. I have had a car before that had a bad NSS and it was intermittent, I am wondering if there is a way for me to test for the ignition and the NSS even if they are not exhibiting the issues that particular day since it seems to be intermittent.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I have no information on the NSS, however, you might want to read thru RAD4Runners posts and look for the starter relay fix. I believe 1987 should fall under the same issue as my 1988, Ray would know for sure. Bottom line is that a lot of us have experienced the click but no start issue, and for me, doing Ray's mod has eliminated the issue.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Thanks coryc85, I was actually looking over that thread earlier reading up on some things, you said that you had the click no start issue, when you did was yours intermittent, like one day its fine then out of nowhere it does it? I think that I may do the starter relay mod just to be safe regardless because I think that you are right about the starter relay and the dates.

As usual thanks guys for any and all support.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
I have no information on the NSS, however, you might want to read thru RAD4Runners posts and look for the starter relay fix. I believe 1987 should fall under the same issue as my 1988, Ray would know for sure. Bottom line is that a lot of us have experienced the click but no start issue, and for me, doing Ray's mod has eliminated the issue.
yes, 1987s have the same wiring issue that eventually cause starting problems. i performed the fix that ray outlines in his "repair thread", even though i didn't experience intermittent starts. later, i did, but it was directly attributable to the contacts in the solenoid that get worn out by the plunger. that is a physical wear issue, not a current path issue.

wally
Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Thanks coryc85, I was actually looking over that thread earlier reading up on some things, you said that you had the click no start issue, when you did was yours intermittent, like one day its fine then out of nowhere it does it? I think that I may do the starter relay mod just to be safe regardless because I think that you are right about the starter relay and the dates.

As usual thanks guys for any and all support.
Yep, very intermittent, but always at the worst time! And when it was acting up, sometimes I could just try a bunch more times and it would eventually kick over the starter. I swapped out starters, I bought new battery to starter cable, replaced the starter contacts, all sorts of things and still randomly it would happen. With Ray's mod, it has never happened again.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:01 PM

it is moderately simple to check the contacts in the solenoid for wear, and it is free. i'd do the mod anyway, but i'd check the contacts, too, since the mod will not fix worn contacts.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:08 PM

1986-1988 trucks/4Runners with auto transmission do not have starter relay, either. Click-only problem may also occur on them.
Examples:
Those made earlier than May Like richiegrich's Feb, and KidV's do not have starter relay.
For these models, I highly recommend adding a properly-wired starter relay.

My starter is fairly new but I will double check the points for sure. I am wondering if there is a thread about installing a Starter Relay into an auto that doesn't already have one?

Last edited by ajetski07; 05-17-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 PM

My starter is fairly new but I will double check the points for sure. I am wondering if there is a thread about installing a Starter Relay into an auto that doesn't already have one?
Good idea to check your contacts. Also inspect/clean the neutral safety switch. There's a post on that somewhere here on the forum.
The wiring is still flawed; it subjects the NSS to high current and sends power to the starter solenoid coil over a loooong path. Just fix it this way. (more details in this post)...

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-17-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:43 PM

Good idea to check your contacts. Also inspect/clean the neutral safety switch. There's a post on that somewhere here on the forum.
The wiring is still flawed; it subjects the NSS to high current and sends power to the starter solenoid coil over a loooong path. Just fix it this way. (more details in this post)...
RAD, you are sincerely RAD!!!! once again you have just made my day and life so much easier and now even though I was pretty sure just by reading all of your info and looking at wiring schematics for my car it will for sure be done correctly.

I am still going to inspect and clean up my NSS just because it does look rather filthy after looking at it(since that was my first guess because my old Jeep had one the was intermittent and gave the same basic symptoms.)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 AM

...I am still going to inspect and clean up my NSS
Yes, like the temp senders, those things need to be cleaned at least every 30 years - LOL!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you need an OBD 1 code reader, I got one I can sell, like on eBay. PM if you're interested. Amazing those 1st gens are still running around.
Looks like its electrical after all. Does it still intermittently turn off when going into reverse?

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 05-19-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
If you need an OBD 1 code reader, I got one I can sell, like on eBay. PM if you're interested. Amazing those 1st gens are still running around.
Looks like its electrical after all. Does it still intermittently turn off when going into reverse?
that would be a waste of money, as first gen 4runners don't require an OBD 1 code reader to extract the codes from the ecu. a simple paperclip jumped between the proper ports in the diagnostic box, and following the FSM directions, will result in the CEL flashing whatever codes are stored in the ecu.

unless you were proposing to sell a paperclip; if so, carry on.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Guessed on that one. OBD 1 for younger model yrs up to 96 then. Nevermind.
Paperclip is no doubt the better way.