86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lockers or re-gear??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lockers or re-gear??

I just read the thread that was posted by: ThorMX17 Locking rear diff?
I sorta have the same question(s).
(I apologize in advance for how long this is.)
I want a locker (who doesn't?). After doing a ton of reading/research here, I think what I want the most is a selectable locker. Yes, I know they are the most expensive. That's my curse...expensive taste. After replacing the my engine once and every other part in it, there is no way I could ever sell it for what I believe it's worth. So, from here on out, I try my best to put nothing but the top-o-the-line parts in my truck. I am married with a family and a HUGE mortgage payment. Not only that, I am constantly busy re-lanscaping my property and upgrading the inside of my house. Now, with all that said....most of you can relate that my wants exceed my needs and getting the approval from the wife to spend that kind of money on a selectable is slim. But, I'm very persistent so, I have a goal set forth.
I just bought new tires (Toyo's). They're heavy. I have lost considerable mpg's. I live in the NW. Snow has never been a problem in my truck, but I WANT better traction, better mpg's to accommodate my tires and the instant ability to go wheeling wherever I want.
I have been told that I can just re-gear with 4.56's to even out my tires and lift. But, I am worried that I would be wasting money in the long-run if I did that and then got the approval to buy a selectable in the near future.
What would you do? Re-gear now and benefit from that immediately or hold out for a selectable? I could stash away enough $ to buy a selectable by next summer or I could re-gear within a month or so.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would wait, it will cost way more to have gears setup twice!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, well there are a few ways to re-gear for CHEAP but still get quality parts.

For your 33" tires you want 4.88 gears. 4.56 gears would be suited for 31" tires (came from the factory like that).

So, you need 4.88's. Now 1992-1995 toyota pickups and 4runners with:

- 31" tires (big tire package) from the factory!!
- 3vze
- automatic

Will come with factory 4.88 gears. You can simply grab the rear third and front diff and swap them into your truck. Thats how I re-geared. I bought the diffs for 350 bucks (I overpaid), added a locker and sold my 4.56 diffs for 250 bucks!

Also, my truck was only down for a few hours, and I was able to do the install in the driveway.

I would find a set of used 4.88's and swap them in, then save up for a locker.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
id re-gear now... prolly to 4.88s... i mean, i would want the gas mileage, and if you think about it, saving money on gas would prolly make the wifey a lil bit happier too...

EDIT: DANGIT JAY!! you beat me... but you also had more info...

Last edited by space-junk; 10-29-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
EDIT: DANGIT JAY!! you beat me... but you also had more info...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM

id buy a 4.88 e locker if thats availible from a junkj yard and a used front doff and switch them out for under a grand bingo bango!

im putting my welded rear in my old trail rig to my new trail rig this weekend only takes bout half hour per truck..
then ill have 2 spare open 4.10 rear diffs
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be glad your not driving a 4runner on stock gearing like me!

Actually its not too bad imo. Mpgs went down 2-3mpgs once i put the interco's on
Old 10-29-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess i wouldn't buy bigger tires unless I could afford new gears. Lockers can come later.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:26 PM

4.88's huh? I'll start looking for those right away. I think my mpg's dropped to around 11-12 mpg!! Pretty sad. My wife knows that my truck is my baaaaby, yet she keeps telling me I should sell it because of all the money I sink into it. Blasphemy! She doesn't think it's funny when I tell her that she should sell all of her Coach purses. Everything on my "Christmas list" are items for my truck. She thinks it's sad, I think it's an investment.
I have the $ to buy gears now. I would've had the $ to buy the whole she-bang, but I have already started too many expensive landscaping projects around my house. Now my wife got a sweeeet job at Real Networks and makes a ton more $ than I do, so she feels that every expenditure needs to have her stamped seal of approval. (I hope all of you single guys are taking note of this....resist marriage as long as possible!)
I'll start doing some searching around in my area for 4.88's, but if I run out of luck I'll be starting another thread to ask if anyone on YT has one for sale.
Thanks guys!!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowtruck
4.88's huh? I'll start looking for those right away. I think my mpg's dropped to around 11-12 mpg!! Pretty sad. My wife knows that my truck is my baaaaby, yet she keeps telling me I should sell it because of all the money I sink into it. Blasphemy! She doesn't think it's funny when I tell her that she should sell all of her Coach purses. Everything on my "Christmas list" are items for my truck. She thinks it's sad, I think it's an investment.
I have the $ to buy gears now. I would've had the $ to buy the whole she-bang, but I have already started too many expensive landscaping projects around my house. Now my wife got a sweeeet job at Real Networks and makes a ton more $ than I do, so she feels that every expenditure needs to have her stamped seal of approval. (I hope all of you single guys are taking note of this....resist marriage as long as possible!)
I'll start doing some searching around in my area for 4.88's, but if I run out of luck I'll be starting another thread to ask if anyone on YT has one for sale.
Thanks guys!!
It never is...never unless the vehicle is 100% unmodified and simply restored.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt16
Lockers can come later.
That's what I thought.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:17 PM

lock atleast the rear if you plan to wheel the truck...
every married guy tells me the same thing you said and my father who was happyily married all of his lift R.I.P used to tell me that since i was a kid...

and ive seen marriage take down many a better man than I..
i say finish the truck how u want and keep it... if its done right you wont want or need to sell it for a long time!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM

The truck is an investment for sure, but not a financial one. It's an investment in yourself. You love it, it makes you happy, it makes sense to dump tons of money into it to buy stock in your own well being and happiness. Women don't have to understand it anymore than they have to understand the rest of the silly stuff we do.

And as for marriage, I have a perfect wife that I wouldn't trade for anything. The only mistake I made in marrying her was waiting 6 years to do it. We've been together 14 years now and we still get along like we did when we first got together. Marriage is like a truck, you get out of it what you put into it.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
The truck is an investment for sure, but not a financial one. It's an investment in yourself. You love it, it makes you happy, it makes sense to dump tons of money into it to buy stock in your own well being and happiness. Women don't have to understand it anymore than they have to understand the rest of the silly stuff we do.

And as for marriage, I have a perfect wife that I wouldn't trade for anything. The only mistake I made in marrying her was waiting 6 years to do it. We've been together 14 years now and we still get along like we did when we first got together. Marriage is like a truck, you get out of it what you put into it.
Even a mint dual ARB BJ40?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive

I hear ya! I love my truck, it makes me happy and I do plan on keeping it. I can't wait to buy a 4Runner though. First, I need to buy the wife a new Rav4 so that she has a new car to make her happy. Ironically, I thought all of the shoes, clothes and purses made her happy. I keep telling her that replacing worn out parts and upgrades are by far cheaper than a $400/mo car payment. I love my wife, she's a great woman....much better than the first one (lying, cheating wh***).
You guys out there with the Yota supporting wifes are very fortunate they support your passion. Mine is coming along just fine. I just sometimes have to butter her up with a new purse. (I think she's a bit jealous of my how much love I show my truck).
Back to the main topic: I want to re-gear soon, hopefully before the weather gets worse. If any of you see or hear of anyone selling some 4.88's for a decent price, by all means send the info my way. If it appears that I have no other choice but to buy a new one, I'll pop back in here and ask for everyone's advice.
As always, I truly appreciate everyone's advice!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:47 AM

get an E-locker in 4.56 or 4.88. - 4.56 was almost impossible for me to find, and 4.88 will be even tougher. If you are willing to spend close to a grand on the re-gear/locker anyways, just buy 'em new like I did.

If you do ARB you will not get a full set of gears... just the locker.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Don'T get over optimistic in getting the rear third in and out in 1/2 hour. In a perfect world where nothing is stuck maybe. But figure on about 2.5 to 3 hours. That way if it is faster you are pleasantly surprised. also figure half a Saturday or better on replacing the front third. That being said I just replaced my 4.30 thirds with 4.56 thirds this week. i am currently running 31 inch tires and plan to go to 33's. the feel difference is awesome. The RPS are in a much stronger range. I would do it again in a heartbeat. 4.56 gears should not be too hard to find, but 4.88's may pose a little bigger challenge. Good luck. And I suspect you will enjoy the benefits of the re gear much more than the locker, unless you are wheeling all the time. Who wouldn't want to feel like their truck has an extra 50 ponies. I stress the point feel. you wont actually have any more power, but it will feel like it. I can now take off in first with no skinny petal, before I had to damn near floor it.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Here is a post in MARKET PLACE that fits just what your looking for

ARB4Runner

Tires, Lockers, 3" lift for 3rd gen 4Runner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

local pickup or buyer pays shipping cost.

I can get pictures of whatever u need.

Open to offers or trade.

$75 REVTEK 3" rear spacers

$75 ToyoTech 3" front spacers.

$150 ARB compressor with aux hose connect.

$1300 Front and Rear 3rd's

I'm taking out my rear axle and front ifs setup. It is geared 4.88 and has ARB lockers. The rear was rebuilt about 800 miles ago. not sure exact milage on front. But i go run through Uwharrie, NC about 3 times a year and thats about it. So it didnt get used much.