86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LCE Headers for 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LCE Headers for 3vze

I just found this on the LC Engineering site: Ceramic headers for the 3vze.
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...0-BD3461454C49

Now I noticed they also retail Downey Headers on their website found here:
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...B-53749C805AA8

But if you look at the parts numbers, they Downey headers listed (and noted as such in the description of the above bottom link) have a part # with "DOR" in front of the numbers, where as the top link above just have straight part #'s. So these are headers for the 3vze by LCE, made by LCE?

EDIT - Also note on the next page of my search I found that they also sell Downey Ceramic headers as well for just over $100 less than the LCE headers listed above: http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...2-F9B043EB6DB1

Understanding LCE's reputation for high quality products, I wonder how these headers would fair, and does anyone know of anyone with them?

Also, I'm guessing the Downey Intake for the 3vze is just a glorified K & N FIPK ? Or is it something better?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 04-13-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my luck. I find a thread with my exact question and there are no replies.

I am looking into the header in your first link. The reason it is more than the Downey is that it includes all the clamps and tubes to crossover under the truck and bolt to the cat. I contacted LC and they assured me it included everything I would need. Did you end up buying one yet? This is one of the last things I need for my engine (aside from putting it back together) and it's going back in.

Jason
Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the downey headers, and a K&N intake. I've seen the Downey intake, and it appears to be just like if you made one yourself, but knew exactly what you were doing. You could probably come real close to duplicating the downey intake. As for the headers, they're great. I'd reccommend some for anyone who likes more power, and better MPG. Sounds killer too. Installation is not AS BAD as everyone says it is. It's bad, but not that bad. You better put the kids inside when you install them because yer gonna be swearing pretty bad most of the install, unless you have a body lift of more than 1 inch.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM

The downey intake also comes with a smog legal sticker so you dont have to put the stocker on to pass smog everytime.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I have the downey headers, and a K&N intake. I've seen the Downey intake, and it appears to be just like if you made one yourself, but knew exactly what you were doing. You could probably come real close to duplicating the downey intake. As for the headers, they're great. I'd reccommend some for anyone who likes more power, and better MPG. Sounds killer too. Installation is not AS BAD as everyone says it is. It's bad, but not that bad. You better put the kids inside when you install them because yer gonna be swearing pretty bad most of the install, unless you have a body lift of more than 1 inch.
Sorry for bumping an 'old' thread - but hey - I used the search button!!!

I've got both the Downey headers and the Downey intake on my '89 w/ a 22RE. The header install wasn't that bad, but the header has rusted out over the past couple of years, and is pretty much junk, IMHO. I'll get the ceramic coated one next time for sure, but that wasn't an option from Downey when I ordered mine.

The intake is total junk, as well. After I opened the box it came in, I was really disappointed, because it look like it was essentially cut from crush pipe, and it has not faired well (appearance and durability-wise) over the years on my truck.

I now have a '94 w/ a 3.0 and I'm looking for headers for it, and I'll likely not buy Downey based on my prior experience with them. I'm sure they make great parts, but I don't feel I got two of them. LCE will likely be the way to go for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I just found this on the LC Engineering site: Ceramic headers for the 3vze.
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...0-BD3461454C49

Now I noticed they also retail Downey Headers on their website found here:
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...B-53749C805AA8

But if you look at the parts numbers, they Downey headers listed (and noted as such in the description of the above bottom link) have a part # with "DOR" in front of the numbers, where as the top link above just have straight part #'s. So these are headers for the 3vze by LCE, made by LCE?

EDIT - Also note on the next page of my search I found that they also sell Downey Ceramic headers as well for just over $100 less than the LCE headers listed above: http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...2-F9B043EB6DB1

Understanding LCE's reputation for high quality products, I wonder how these headers would fair, and does anyone know of anyone with them?

Also, I'm guessing the Downey Intake for the 3vze is just a glorified K & N FIPK ? Or is it something better?
Downey actually had that intake design first.

I called them and asked how it compared to the KN... I got my ass reamed by the guy i was talking to.

Its pretty funny.... call and ask.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Squeebs
Downey actually had that intake design first.

I called them and asked how it compared to the KN... I got my ass reamed by the guy i was talking to.

Its pretty funny.... call and ask.
You know what's funny - the same thing happened to me when I was ordering my parts from Downey via their catalog... the guy I talked to was not nice to me at all.... the only reason I continued with the order was that it was several years back when I did my build, and there wasn't as much to choose from as their is now, and I needed the parts they had.... all things considered, I wouldn't order from them again, but that's just me.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM

i have a new set of downey ceramic coated headers for sale!! pm me or check them out on ebay
Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If they had the balls to ream me out I wouldnt pay them to put their junk on my truck. Wait... I still wouldnt because their products suck.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Living in California Downey is great. They have the CARB exemption sticker (SMOG legal) for their intakes and headers. As far as I know they are the only ones who do for the 3.0L 3vze engine, at least for headers. I can't speak for their intakes but their Ceramic headers have held up nicely. If I didn't live in Cali I probably would have gone a different route for my headers, but I try to follow the law....most of the time!

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Stickers???

I live in SoCal and I have a custom made mandrel bent aluminum intake on my 94' 4Runner, I also have Downey headers and no compliance stickers at all. The guy at the "test only" place I took it to never even asked me any questions. The only thing he said to me was "This truck is in really great condition for a 94'".
Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM

i got my thorley headers through summit for 500. and they came with everything that those come with and are ceramic coated. ive been running them for over a year now and have had no problems at all.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM

the carb sticker is why i've been eyeballing the downey intake.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM

TRD makes some really nice looking and well engineered headers but I am uncertain what makes and models they cover. They carry a high price tag but I consider them OEM quality for those who demand that type of product. This is not an endorsement.