Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

KC Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KC Lights?

I used this wiring diagram today to hook up my Kc daylighters, and they wouldn't work.
Is this diagram any good? I didn't have a power tester thing at my friends house to see where there wasn't getting power to, but decided to check to see if this was a good diagram before I start working on it again tomorrow.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails KC Lights?-foglite.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
that's right

check three things:

1) that your in-line fuse is good
2) that you have a GOOD SECURE ground for both the realy AND the lights (I just chased down a bad ground in my tails lights after 3 days of screwing with it...)
3) are you CERTAIN that you 12v ignition source has power? is shown indicator light coming on?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
that's right

check three things:

1) that your in-line fuse is good
2) that you have a GOOD SECURE ground for both the realy AND the lights (I just chased down a bad ground in my tails lights after 3 days of screwing with it...)
3) are you CERTAIN that you 12v ignition source has power? is shown indicator light coming on?

1.Checked in-line fuse while I was checking for simple things when the lights wouldn't come on. Fuse is good.

2. Good ground for relay, possibility bad ground with lights, will mess with it tomorrow.

3. Pretty sure its getting power. The wire I put into the ignition fuse is getting power because the switch I have has a little LED light that turns on when you flick it to the on position (as long as power is getting to it of course).
Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

are you sure the relay is any good too? lol

it should make an audible "click" when the switch is thrown; have a friend stand by it and listen when you throw the switch

if it doesn't click, then there's a break in the constant power to the relay, the ground to the relay, or the switched input to the relay

if it does click and the lights don't come on, then there's a break in either the hot output wire going to the lights, of the gound isn't good for the lights

if all else fails, try a different relay could do the same thing with a basic 4 pin relay as well

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-08-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
are you sure the relay is any good too? lol

it should make an audible "click" when the switch is thrown; have a friend stand by it and listen when you throw the switch

if it doesn't click, then there's a break in the constant power to the relay, the ground to the relay, or the switched input to the relay

if it does click and the lights don't come on, then there's a break in either the hot output wire going to the lights, of the gound isn't good for the lights

if all else fails, try a different relay could do the same thing with a basic 4 pin relay as well

Relay is good, I just bought it yesterday, unless it has some sort of defect..
Umm pretty sure I was hearing a click.. Don't know if it was coming from the switch or the relay though.. lol
Also, when you connect that wire to the battery, is there some sort of special way you have to connect it? Also.. I used speaker wire to ground the relay and the lights.. Ha, it was all I had at my friends house. Figured I would just change out the wires to nicer ones if it worked, when I got home. Could the speaker wire be the source of the problem?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

ummmm, what gauge speaker wire are we talking about here?

whatever size wires is coming off of the lights, you DO NOT want to use wire that's any smaller than that, from the battery to the relay, and from the relay to thelights

for the ground on the relay itself, and the input from your switch, that can be a little smaller; all it's doing is acting basically as a signal wire to trip the relay
Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 PM

I don't know the gauge of the wire, but its definitely smaller than the wire thats supposed to power the lights!

So don't use the smaller speaker wire for the ground on the lights correct? Oh and the wire that is going from the battery to the relay, I ran out of big wire so I butted it into a size smaller wire. Thats fine right?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

OH NO NO NO, you want to use equal to, or LARGER wire as the wire that's coming off of your lights for:

A) from the battery to the fuse, and then to terminal 30 on the relay
B) from terminal 87 of the relay to the lights
c) from the lights to their ground

Too small of wire cannot carry the current for the lights. They might come on for a minute or too, but IT IS NOT SAFE AT ALL; the smaller wire has a higher resistance to the high amp draw, and will heat up and melt, and cause a short, or even worse a fire!

The ONLY place it's safe to use smaller wire is from your ignition 12v source to your switch, from the switch to terminal 85 on the relay, and then the ground for the relay; terminal 85 to ground. Also the wires for you LED indicator light can be a little smaller too; LED's draw hardly no curent
Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Thank you for the help. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dwnhiller93
Thank you for the help. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
alrighty

best of luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 PM

Forgot to update. The ground wires in the light was not fully plugged in. Took apart the lights and fixed it. Everything works now!