Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just want to get rid of the sag

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just want to get rid of the sag

Have a '91 Runner, has the sag, but not as bad as some I've seen.

I want to put coils in it and am gonna put shocks all around, but I don't want to really lift it, not gonna do anything to the front except the shocks, no BJ spacers or anything, just want to replace the rear coils and get rid of the sag.

I don't need anything hardcore, as I only go down the beach a little bit and tow a boat twice a year, so all I really want to do is even the rear out and keep it from collapsing when I put the boat on it like it does now.

What is the best way to go here? I don't know all that much about what kind of coils are out there or even shock for that matter.

So any advise on what are good replacement springs to bring the rear back up and maybe slightly higher than stock, but won't too stiff of a daily ride, and also some decent all around shocks.

I HATE the way the sag looks and want to just get the back evened out and keep it that way.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can:
a) replace the coils
b) install spacers on your worn coils
c) air-shocks

I'd probably do B.

and if the boat is putting that much stress on the rear, a load-distributing hitch is the best way to keep it from screwing up whatever you do to fix the sag.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep - those are your options. I did "B" above and really didn't like it. Then I did "A" and was really happy. I picked up a set of Moog springs from RockAuto.com for cheap. I tow a 5X10 enclosed and towed a bayliner capri before it was sold and they ride great.

here are some pics
Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the advise. I definitely want to replace the springs, it doesn't look hard to do and I know the stock ones in there are shot, they have 200K on them.

Just looking for advise on what kind of springs would be best for just getting rid of the sag and evening out the rear.

Wardriver, the Moog's look good on your runner, are they just basically stock replacements with no extra lift?

Also any good recomendations for decent replacement shocks, nothing too hardcore. Was thinking maybe Bilstein's but they may be a little too much for what I need. I guess basically a stock shock would be good for all 4, but I don't want to buy crap shocks.

My main concern is getting rid of this sag, evening out the rear and keeping a decent ride, although I don't mind if it gets a little stiffer.

So Moog's are considered good springs?

Last edited by mmcpeck; 10-27-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:15 PM

I found the Moog variable rate springs, are they the same as the progressive springs you used wardriver? Also did you have to use a coil spring compressor to get them out/in? I have a claw type strut spring compressor, would that work?

Thanks for any help, I don't know all that much about springs so any guidance for which ones are the best for fixing sag is appreciated. Also any advice on good shocks is welcome, as I don't know a whole lot about what's out there for shocks either.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I lean towards the Old Man Emu shocks and springs. I'm running their medium rate springs with Nitrocharger shocks and love their ride, especially while the 4Runner is loaded.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 AM

I have the c) (airlift). Just bags you put in the springs. Works fine, and you can fill them with more air if you have a heavy load.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
I found the Moog variable rate springs, are they the same as the progressive springs you used wardriver? Also did you have to use a coil spring compressor to get them out/in? I have a claw type strut spring compressor, would that work?
Yep - those are the ones I have. They are pretty much the stock height but carry a greater load. Old Man Emu's are nice I just didn't have the coin for those.

I use a long pry bar to get mine in. I tried a claw type compressor when I helped put a lift on a buddy's heap and I thought they were scary. There is another type out there that I'd use but it can be done with out one.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...&cid=19&sid=28

$150ish for Performance Products Progressive 1" lift coil springs.

i highly recommend them.
BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 10-28-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 AM

wardriver...How do you use the pry bar to get them in, just set them up in there and pry down on them to squeeze them in? I guess it will be pretty self explanatory when I get under there huh? What shocks did you use? I have to do them all around also.

I like the Old Man Emu stuff, but it just seems too hardcore for what I need. My runner has 200K on it, original engine and tranny, so I'm just driving it until it won't go anymore, so I don't really need to drop performance parts into the rear suspension, just want to get good replacement springs and shocks and take care of the annoying sag, it's embarassing to drive around with that sag.

Belize.....I saw your job on another post, looks really nice. Did you have to fab that extension for the LSPV in the back or did that come with a kit? Looks fabbed. What kind of shocks did you use?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

mmcpeck, the LSPV extension came with the coils. the shocks are Rancho RS5000, but im looking to go with OME HD shocks shortly.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 AM

Belize, how is the ride with that setup?