Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ISR Mod Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh........that explains it. I never watched that show.

Well enough, Freak. I've been home.....mostly....working. Much to tend in the winter months. Plus, I have a new-to-me Pug (Peugeot) I've been tinkering with to get it running well Thank the Mistress that I've learned all I have thus far on the Toy's or I'd be totally lost. The French did some different things with there designing, but not much. It's all Bosch based, but the mechanics of all is basically the same.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, well you know the french......lol! Glad to see that your still around, the forums haven't been the same without ya. Glad to hear everything is good. I'm not liking the winter up here in Wa, nothing like So Cal.....thats for sure.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM

I'm keen on the French, mate. I like the elegant styling and simplicity of the vehicle. Plus, anyone who'd bash a MacDonald's in protest and ban GMO garbage is alright by me. They make good wine, too.

Northern winters would be more than I'd want to deal with. I can only imagine from what I'm told of them, but the distinct four seasons we have here is quite nice. I suppose SoCal would be okay were it not for the population and pollution. Been there a couple of times. Enough to know it ain't where I'd live. You should move here....hehe. It's mid fifties right now. Warmer than usual for the time of year, but I AM NOT COMPLAINING!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 AM

If I remember correctly "Cookie, Cookie lend me your comb" was from a song back in the 50's by Edd Burns. He later was on 77 Sunset Strip a Private "I" TV show in the late 50's or early 60's.

Now guess how old I am.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 AM

I'm guessing late 50's/early 60's. Okay.........59? Old enough to remember ice boxes, anyway.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by vj95
If I remember correctly "Cookie, Cookie lend me your comb" was from a song back in the 50's by Edd Burns. He later was on 77 Sunset Strip a Private "I" TV show in the late 50's or early 60's.

Now guess how old I am.
True, very true. But I'm not that old!!!!! And that was part of the Married, With Children episode......lol
Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Here is the final fab. i ended up reversing the pipe, putting the bend on the other end. i don't think it matters much. You can almost get away with a straight pipe, if that tb connection was a little more forgiving.

So, here was the run down of the parts I used:

Carlon 45° Belled end elbow (Lowe's)
Help! part # 42330 PCV Grommet (Advance Auto)
HELP! part# 47032 PCV Elbow (Advance Auto)
3" silicone Coupler with clamps (Autozone - too expensive IMO)

Total: about $10

I don't know exactly how much the Carlon piece was, cause i just looked at my receipt and they didn't charge me for it!

One note on how I did this. The PCV elbow is 1/2" on both sides. The grommet I got was nice and deep, and I wanted a good seal. It was also 1/2". I ended up grinding the barb off on both sides of the elbow, and thinned it even more on the hose side. After removing the barb from the grommet side, it fit real snug. The grommet needs about a 3/4" hole for it to fit. The hose is definitely not 1/2", it's smaller. I managed to make it work for now, but will probably adapt that elbow down to the proper size for the hose. I may also pick up a new length of hose for the valve cover breather, I might even get an oil breather instead. I didn't think of trying to pull the dipstick, but it looks like I won't have a problem there.

Here are the fabbed pics. I'll paint it black eventually, so it looks stock.

BTW, isn't that another silencer on the left of the airbox with the larger hose going into it? couldn't that just be removed with a longer hose attached to the afm?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM

It's a collector or resonator, as it's called, for the pair reed set up. Air is drawn in through it from the filter box to the pair reed valve under specific conditions..............conditions in which I forget at the moment.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Alright then, that will stay where it is...
Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 PM

That's what I did. There's no need to remove it.......particularly if you'd like the pair reed valve to operate.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 AM

That looks like a pretty clean setup. If the main tube came in black PVC, that would be nice.
I want to do this to my 95, but I want to make sure it would be easy to return to stock condition(in case I sell it and it is not wanted, or if I move to an area with smog restrictions). Also, there seems to be some difference of opinion as if to this ISR mod has any performance benefits other than sounding cool.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by GorgeRunner
That looks like a pretty clean setup. If the main tube came in black PVC, that would be nice.
I want to do this to my 95, but I want to make sure it would be easy to return to stock condition(in case I sell it and it is not wanted, or if I move to an area with smog restrictions). Also, there seems to be some difference of opinion as if to this ISR mod has any performance benefits other than sounding cool.
Well, I had it out today to the office and back (about 40 mi. round trip). I didn't hear much difference, might be because I have all the windows up and the heat on. But, it did feel just a little more peppy. Not much, mind you, but enough to notice that I didn't have to wait as long for the RPMs to come up. If I wanted to hear it more, I think I'd make it out of something that resonates better, like aluminum.

And this one, as well as the others can go back to stock without a problem. Granted if you drill holes in the deckplate (which I haven't done yet), it wouldn't be easy to put back to stock, but then again, who would know until they changed the air filter.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Has anyone considered just replacing this piece with just a piece of pvc?..

Because I honestly don't want to have to deal with any sensors...
Old 12-10-2008, 04:35 PM

I didn't hear much difference, might be because I have all the windows up and the heat on. But, it did feel just a little more peppy. Not much, mind you, but enough to notice that I didn't have to wait as long for the RPMs to come up. If I wanted to hear it more, I think I'd make it out of something that resonates better, like aluminum.
Plastic would probably deaden any sound a bit more than aluminum or other metal. As far as performance, given the low cost of this mod, any improvement would be worth the cost and effort. Too bad it doesn't improve the gas mileage; even a 1% improvement in MPG would be great with this gas guzzling V6.
Granted if you drill holes in the deckplate (which I haven't done yet), it wouldn't be easy to put back to stock, but then again, who would know until they changed the air filter.
If the holes were drilled in the bottom of the air box, I doubt even an air pollution inspector would pull the air filter out to have a look.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by jason724
Has anyone considered just replacing this piece with just a piece of pvc?..

Because I honestly don't want to have to deal with any sensors...
There are no sensors to deal with. You're removing that piece, along with the "y" in front of it that goes to the silencer that is mounted below and to the left of the deckplate. All I needed to do was add a fitting for the hose that normally goes into the silencer.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberman
There are no sensors to deal with. You're removing that piece, along with the "y" in front of it that goes to the silencer that is mounted below and to the left of the deckplate. All I needed to do was add a fitting for the hose that normally goes into the silencer.
Ooo.. Sorry, I didn't feel like going out and checking under my hood because it was pooring rain here. I guess adding that fitting is the hardest part, not like this mod is very hard at all... how long did it take you from start to finish?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberman
Here is the final fab. i ended up reversing the pipe, putting the bend on the other end. i don't think it matters much. You can almost get away with a straight pipe, if that tb connection was a little more forgiving.

So, here was the run down of the parts I used:

Carlon 45° Belled end elbow (Lowe's)
Help! part # 42330 PCV Grommet (Advance Auto)
HELP! part# 47032 PCV Elbow (Advance Auto)
3" silicone Coupler with clamps (Autozone - too expensive IMO)

Total: about $10

I don't know exactly how much the Carlon piece was, cause i just looked at my receipt and they didn't charge me for it!

One note on how I did this. The PCV elbow is 1/2" on both sides. The grommet I got was nice and deep, and I wanted a good seal. It was also 1/2". I ended up grinding the barb off on both sides of the elbow, and thinned it even more on the hose side. After removing the barb from the grommet side, it fit real snug. The grommet needs about a 3/4" hole for it to fit. The hose is definitely not 1/2", it's smaller. I managed to make it work for now, but will probably adapt that elbow down to the proper size for the hose. I may also pick up a new length of hose for the valve cover breather, I might even get an oil breather instead. I didn't think of trying to pull the dipstick, but it looks like I won't have a problem there.

Here are the fabbed pics. I'll paint it black eventually, so it looks stock.

BTW, isn't that another silencer on the left of the airbox with the larger hose going into it? couldn't that just be removed with a longer hose attached to the afm?

sorry for the very late post but im about to do this mod and i was wondering what is the diameter of the pipe, 3 inches?