Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 T4R not passing emissions.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 T4R not passing emissions.

I finally got my 4Runner running again over the long Labor Day weekend (had to change the passengers side cylinder head due to a burnt exhaust valve), and I took it this evening to attempt Texas State Inspection. Which it didn't pass (didn't pass before my dad gave me the 4Runner either). My 4Runner sat for 15 months before now, I did put some Sta-Bil in the gas, but that was over a year ago. I haven't drained the old gas yet, just haven't gotten around to it. Also, the engine oil is synthetic (can't remember what brand) and it had approx 1,300 miles on it when it was parked. Plugs are NGK, and I replaced the stock fuel injectors with gray top blue flame fuel injectors. The catalytic converter is a Magna-Flow high flow unit that's nearly new. I did check fuel pressure before it was parked and it was just a tiny bit out of spec per the test requirements I don't think fuel pressure is whats causing the issue. Timing is set to 8% BTDC, 10% seemed to have a very hesitated acceleration. 8% still has hesitation but not as bad as 10%.

The CO reading was just a few points over spec after the high speed test.
The CO2 was way high, from idle through low and high speed tests. I can't remember exactly because my brain is about fried, but I believe allowable was 1.20% and my 4Runner was putting out on the low side 4.5% and it only got worse from there.

After getting back from the shop, I checked vacuum coming from the two hard lines before they go into the EGR Vacuum Modulator, at the hard line before going into the top of the EGR, and at the top left side port of the EGR Vacuum Modulator. All ports had vacuum when I hit the throttle.

I did also do a vacuum check at the top vacuum port of the EGR with the engine at idle and the engine would stumble and almost die, so from what I have read the EGR valve should be good.

Too me, I would guess that the high CO2 is due to rich fuel. No black smoke though.

Now I do plan to drain the bad gas and put in some premium. Maybe Seafoam it. Engine oil change with some conventional oil. I'd like to do and ISR mod with a high flow filter and maybe get another air flow meter and tune it to lean out the fuel a bit and try to get it to pass that way.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas right now. So I'm turning to the forum here for some hopeful help with some trouble shooting ideas. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Boomer8404; 09-09-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:08 AM

take that magnaflow out and put the stock back in.... "high flow" means a big ass hole in the middle letting everything by...... might even need to put the stock injectors back in to pass, then put the other stuff back in. it's only like 2 years to get it checked, right?.... i belive your biggest inspection problem is the cat, though.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:47 AM

TSI is every year, man how I wish my T4R was a 1990 so I didn't have to worry about emissions. I put the high flow cat in because I though the stock cat might be dead. I took it in for a retest after and I still had the same readings. Even though the new cat is high flow, I would have expected it to read a little better than a non working stock cat. Also, I had to change the injectors to the blue flame units because I had a couple of the stockers that had given up the ghost. But before the stock injectors went bad and after the new injectors went in, the readings were the same. I guess I can try to find some stock injectors that I can clean up and put back in.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer8404
.... I can't remember exactly because my brain is about fried, but I believe allowable was 1.20% and my 4Runner was putting out on the low side 4.5% and it only got worse from there. ...
Take your time, get your brain un-fried, and tell us what the numbers are. Otherwise, we're all just guessing.

There is NO standard for CO2 (you should be putting out about 15% or more anyway). I'm guessing (there's that word) you failed on CO (though 1.20% to pass is incredibly high).

Since everything influences everything else, we'd need the rest of the numbers (including the limits) to make much sense of what you're doing. Here's the chemistry: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/...taTech/h56.pdf As you can see, the "most likely" cause is running too rich. So if your numbers match up to that, you'll want to check your learned fuel trim.

And like AKHeathen, I'm pretty skeptical about any "performance" catalytic converter, especially one that promises "high flow."