General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Has anyone ever run a % of E85 to help pass emissions in an older vehicle?

Old 09-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone ever run a % of E85 to help pass emissions in an older vehicle?

I'm having troubles getting my 95 T4R to pass emission (excessive CO & CO2) right now and I'm just thinking of ideas to help get it to pass for the mean time so I can drive it again. I'm considering draining what gas I have in the tank for now and putting in 1 gal of E85 w/ 2-3 gallons of fresh 87 octane. Taking it out of a good 20-30 min drive and then taking it in for the tail pipe sniffer test. Then get home and drain it out and run some fresh gas through the fuel lines.

I know the E85 is a higher octane then the 87 regular, but at that low concentration I done think it would matter that much, as I'm not having trouble w/ high HC. My ignition components seem to be providing enough spark to get the burn done. My theory in thinking is that the E85 would just be there to help things run cleaner. What do ya'll think? Has anyone ever tried this?
Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That will not help. It just raises chance of damage.

Why not do a tune up to try and correct the issues? Clean your intake sensors with appropriate sprays, replace air/fuel filters, inspect or replace worn ignition components like plugs and wires? Most people underestimate a good set of ngk plugs and wires on an engine with good bit of miles.

HEET the red bottle not the yellow one is just isopropyl alcohol it will help significantly in an emissions test. It's used to reduce water in fuel. We use it to clean fuel sampling bottles in the Air Force too. It's only about $2 at Walmart to. I have personally seen vehicles that failed yoder the table emissions test past with a bottle of HEET. It didn't pass with flying colors but for $2 everyone was really impressed. I'm not a snake oil guy too. The HEET is just over priced isopropyl alcohol but it really does reduce water on automotive gasoline.

Last edited by user 82300; 09-15-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Try a new cat.

E85 seems to make old trucks run like dooky sqaut
Old 09-16-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jloffermann
Why not do a tune up to try and correct the issues? Clean your intake sensors with appropriate sprays, replace air/fuel filters, inspect or replace worn ignition components like plugs and wires? Most people underestimate a good set of ngk plugs and wires on an engine with good bit of miles.
It has always been my goal to get whatever the issue(s) is that's causing it to not pass emissions fixed. It had been broke down for 15 months because of a burnt exhaust valve. I just recently got it fixed and have just really missed driving it, and was looking for a "quick fix" to get it past the emission hurdle so I can drive it again, while I continue tuning/repairs. My dad bought in Feb of 2009, and it has never passed emissions. My dad and I suspect that's why the previous owner was selling it.

The motor doesn't have high mileage on it. When my dad bought it, it had a rebuilt motor in it. Then 4 months later the crankshaft broke and we went through what all had to be replaced and drove it for 4 years, probably didn't put anymore than 36K on it. Then I got it, keep in mind it's still not passing emissions, I thought a new cat would help, so I put a MagnaFlow High flow on it, didn't change the tailpipe readings oddly. Then it started having a miss which at first was a bad injector, so I put the gray top blue flame units in it. Fixed the miss, I put fresh NGK plugs in and the wires, cap and rotor were maybe a 1.5-2 years old at the time. Still wouldn't pass, no improvement from earlier readings. Then another miss aka the burnt exhaust valve.

I pulled the Cold Start Injector the other day and it sprayed as it normally should at start up, but no dribbles of fuel (which I was hoping to find). Maybe it still does leak when its installed with engine vacuum applied. I need to go have emission run with it out. I hadn't think of cleaning the air flow meter, but I will now, and I'm considering getting a spare air flow meter and tuning it to run a little leaner mix. Also, I still need to run an ohm check on the temp sensors. And also, new fuel filter with some of that HEET you were telling me about, the air filter is good. Wires, cap and rotor still look decent, don't wanna pony up that $100 until last minute if I can hold out on it.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you just throw the ngk plugs in like 99% or didnyounactuaky gauge/adjust the gap first? I have actually seen a difference even with cheap autolites. (I did it to my own rig)

Have your checked your egr?

Have you checked adjusted your valves?

Do you have a Haynes or chilton for your year? They have a basic trouble shooting guide for emissions and I would go old school. Check each system at a time.

Ignition-igniter,Icm,plugs, dizzy, cap,rotar, timing

Fuel- remove and clean each injector, check injector wire/harness, fuel filter, fuel pump/ fuel pressure

Adjust valves, check timing chain, is your dizzy a tooth off? And so on etc...

HEET will help some during a test also run a higer octan fuel at least not the minimum cheap stuff.

Last edited by user 82300; 09-17-2015 at 08:01 AM.