86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent Reverse Lights Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Reverse Lights Help!

Got a '91 p/u xcab, 22RE, 5sp. Just recently I noticed my reverse lights weren't working...well, all the time. We replaced both bulbs a month ago and they still work, we traced the wiring as far as we could and everything looks okay. We located the reverse light switch on the tranny(G58) cleaned the connection and/or contacts so what now? I noticed that when I'm backing up my driveway that is on and incline they light up especially when the rpm's are above 1500 or maybe more like 2000. And the only reason I was revving higher was because it's got a few inches of snow down so there's slip. As soon as I let off the gas they go out. Is there some sort of correlation here? There is potential for them to work but if I'm backing out of a parking spot in a mall let's say, I'm not going to be revving that high so they won't work. Any suggestions? This is really annoying!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 PM

I have the same problem with my 94 4Runner v6 5spd. I think its the switch because:
I disconnected the switch and connected the two wires and my lights went on.
So i took the switch out and hooked it up to an ohm meter. With the ball pushed all the way in the conductivity was low, and kept jumping around.

Unfortunately i haven't replaced the switched so i don't know for sure, but i'm quite sure thats both our problems.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Ya eh? I'm wondering if the switch is just gunked up and being lazy too. Hmmm. Hopefully I can just clean it up from the other side and not have to buy a new one. I do want them working for safety reasons.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 AM

Bump...any other ideas? How is it wired from the switch? Does it split between power and rear lights? Or the switch just to power then....?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The switch is just like any ordinary switch. It makes or breaks the circuit when activated/deactivated by shifting. It sounds like when you're on the throttle heavier the alternator is spinning faster and generating more current so then the light works better. How it's wired exactly I'm not sure. I've never really traced down wires...I've never had a problem. You could run a wire that you know is in perfect shape from the battery to the switch and see what difference it makes....just for testing purposes. If the lights still behave the same, it's probably the switch burning out. But, if it works perfect then I would fault the wiring or fusing....not carrying current well. Then, maybe you have bleed off somewhere.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 AM

We were just checkin out the fsm online and under the G58 tranny exploded view it shows the switch with a washer or gasket that can't be reused. Is this for sure? If it's in the fsm you'd think so. We want to check the switch by taking it out. Here's the link:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...10componen.pdf

I don't think the alternator would have anything to do with this...just by the way it's on or off. When the truck was in reverse it was a little choppy because of all the snow so it seemed to be affected by that just as much as the gas. Could be a coincidence though, may as well check it out too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:59 AM

Mine did the same thing, it was the switch.

With the ignition on, put your trans in reverse then push the shifter outward (toward the passenger side) and upward (toward nuetral) and you will probably find a spot where the reverse lights will come on.

You are most likely seeing them work when backing up your driveway due to the extra torque required to spin backward uphill putting pressure on the shift fork/detent in the trans. which in turn puts pressure on the switch just as I described above.

The part is less than $30 at the dealership.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats what mine does ^

So I just wired up aux lights, turn them on when im in public and have to reverse.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Awesome, thanks guys! At least the part is cheap or I'll get those lights that Jay has. So is that a gasket in the diagram too?...more curious than anything. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my lights dont work sometimes either...

i put my tranny in reverse (5spd) and took the tail light cover off and wiggled the reverse bulb in its socket, light flickered on and off.. so hopefully ill get away with cleaning the contacts. but worst case senario ill have to buy a new socket.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 PM

Hmmm, tried that thing with shifting into rev. and then pushing outward and up like 93Del suggested and it was a no go. I'm wondering if the cold has anything to do with this....again so many things have happened at one time it's hard to tell what's affecting what. The mystery goes on....
Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Play with the shifter. Have your key at the run posision, you will be able to see the battery guage go down when/if you get the reverse lights on.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:04 PM

So I've found a way to activate the backup lights...not efficiently though. As stated above it's when I'm on the gas BUT more so when I release the clutch. I backed out of my garage and my lights weren't on because of the incline so I more or less coasted out. I put on the brakes to a full stop, kept my foot on the brake and slowly released the clutch and right when it was "grabbing" the lights went on. I kept hard on the brakes and didn't budge so it was right at the point where it was about to bog down. I can see the lights because of the reflection of the windows of the house across the street. So it's not only caused by accelerating in reverse but more when the clutch is fully or nearly released into gear going in reverse. Odd eh? I have so much on my plate right now so I might leave this for a couple weeks but if there are any more suggestions, please feel free to comment. I think what everyone above suggested is on track so thank you.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:34 PM

i just bought the reverse sensor from napa, seems to fix my reverse light problems.
Bought it for like $38
Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 AM

Was the sensor you bought the 'switch' type thing that screws into the tranny and activated when put into reverse? Does it come with that little gasket/washer m'bob too? Glad you got it to work and it's fairly cheap too eh?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, mine seem to work when they want to also. I've learned to deal with it, but I keep a 4 cell maglite just in case I need to see where I'm reversing.