Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How many cranks before start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many cranks before start?

How long does it take your 22re to start?

I twist the key, it cranks, turns over two or three times and then starts. Seems longer than it should be - but maybe I've got high standards.

Any comments?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How many cranks to get to the tootsie roll center of my 22re..lets see....one...two...three......ahh three.

One rotation...she fires right up. Like whir.whir boom. lug lug lug lug.

Youu taking a long time to crank? Oh I see yo are a little. Tune up and clean cold start injector will help.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:58 AM

when its cold out, can take a good second or two, but when the engines warm already, or its just warm outside, nearly instantly..
Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Ta-da-VROOM

Like ^^^, if all's good, with cold engine it should go "Ta-da-Ta-da-VROOM"
With warm engine it should go "Ta-da-VROOM"
If it doesn't, gotta look at many things. If problem only occurs while cold, the Cold Start injector is one of the simplest and probable causes. I had an intermittent issue and was in the process of checking mine out (resistance/continuity checks at known temperatures, see FSM), when I found a connector that was no on properly- that was it.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-01-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: edited details
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
roger brown had a similar problem, check out the 4crawler page for all of the troubleshooting.

if it's not that, the remote possibility is a bad check valve in the fuel pump, letting fuel drain back.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

As soon as the first piston fires it is running .

I think it sat since like last March when I transferred 100 gallons of fuel to the shop tank
Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine starts immediately. No prolonged non running cranking no matter how long I let it sit. Just started driving it again after 2 months of sitting on the battery tender and it fired off as it always has.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Every 22RE I've had did the same thing.

I also thought it was odd until I understood what was happening. The fuel pump switch for the 22RE is located in the VAM. This means that the fuel pump won't start running until the engine is cranked because the engine vacuum is needed to open the VAM door to flip the switch. The engine takes a couple of cranks to get going because it takes a couple of seconds for the fuel pump to build pressure.

At first I thought this was a crap design but then realized the Toyota guys actually thought this out. Because it takes a couple of cranks for the fuel pump to build pressure it also gives the engine some time to build OIL pressure. This means the engine will likely not fire until some oil pressure has been built which goes a long way to improve the longetivity of the engine

If you don't like to crank the engine I found that if you crank it once and release the key (to build fuel pressure) and then crank it again it will fire up immediately
Old 10-31-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Innocent Fool
Every 22RE I've had did the same thing.

I also thought it was odd until I understood what was happening. The fuel pump switch for the 22RE is located in the VAM. This means that the fuel pump won't start running until the engine is cranked because the engine vacuum is needed to open the VAM door to flip the switch. The engine takes a couple of cranks to get going because it takes a couple of seconds for the fuel pump to build pressure.

At first I thought this was a crap design but then realized the Toyota guys actually thought this out. Because it takes a couple of cranks for the fuel pump to build pressure it also gives the engine some time to build OIL pressure. This means the engine will likely not fire until some oil pressure has been built which goes a long way to improve the longetivity of the engine

If you don't like to crank the engine I found that if you crank it once and release the key (to build fuel pressure) and then crank it again it will fire up immediately

This is a 22re. He has fuel pressure as soon as he turn key to run. You are totally wrong,
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM

C.O.R. powers fuel pump before airflow

Originally Posted by HighLux
This is a 22re. He has fuel pressure as soon as he turn key to run. You are totally wrong,
To be specific, as soon as ignition switch is in START position, circuit opening relay coil 1 in this post energizes, closing the C.O.R. contacts that provide power to the fuel pump, before any airflow closes AFM contacts.

The C.O.R. is the thing you hear clicking behind the glovebox when attempting to start.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
... You are totally wrong,
Easy with that. Not necessary, and kinda embarrassing for you when he's actually correct. (yes, I learned that the hard way)
Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 AM

Your fuel pump energizes when you turn the key to run. It is pumping fuel? no. But it builds up pressure so the cold start injector can squirt some gas in...when you turn to start.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
In my Honda, the fuel pump kicks on as soon as the key goes to IGN. Our trucks have the pump come on at STA like RAD4Runner says. Due to this, my truck takes a few turns before it starts. But after starting it will restart almost immediately because it already has fuel pressure.

Some of this may also depend on how fast your starter kicks over.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 AM

Thats pretty funny cause I can go turn my key to run and hear my fuel pump energize.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe it's different for the 22R? You don't have an AFM, right?

Could it be your main relay you're hearing click? Or is it a whirr like a pump running?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 AM

22re Ill eat my words and apologize if Im wrong. But I could swear it energizes on run.
I know the vafm door opening is what make circuit complete to fuel pump to cycle and get fuel to injectors....but I thought for sure run energizes system for initial pressure for cold start.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM

mine takes about 5 cranks if its been siting for a week
Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 AM

Where is the "Run" Position?

Originally Posted by scope103
Originally Posted by HighLux... You are totally wrong,
Easy with that. Not necessary, and kinda embarrassing for you when he's actually correct. (yes, I learned that the hard way)

Amen, Scope103!

Highlux,
Maybe wrong on your 22R, but correct on OP's 22R-E
You gotta remember, there may be differences in how fuel pump is powered between your 22R and the OP's 22RE. If you can show us schematic for 22R, then we'll have the final answer.

See 22RE schematic below and look for Circuit Opening Relay "Coil 1"

Where is the "run" position? Maybe the 22R has that, but not the 22RE.
On the 22RE, ignition switch has the following positions:
  • Off
  • Accessories (ACC in schematic)
  • ON (IG1 & IG2 in schematic))
  • Start ((ST1 & ST2 in schematic) this is momentary, goes back to Ignition when key is released)

Name:  COR_MAF_Fuel_Pump_Notes.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  96.4 KB

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-31-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added details
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 AM
osv

Originally Posted by Innocent Fool
the check valve in your fuel pump is probably defective; it's allowing fuel to drain back, and you are having to wait for the fuel to be pumped back into the fuel lines.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM
osv

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
Mine starts immediately. No prolonged non running cranking no matter how long I let it sit.
that's how it works for you, me, and others as well.

these people that are seeing 3-5 seconds of cranking before it'll run probably have bad check valves:

"An outlet check valve is incorporated in the discharge outlet to maintain residual or rest pressure when engine is turned off. This reduces the possibility of vapor lock, and improves starting characteristics."

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h22.pdf

Quick Reply: How many cranks before start?