Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Head gasket and timing belt replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I found that out too about the diagrams.

go to www.toyotapartseast.com and input your VIN....pick what category (ALL,TOOL-ENGINE-FUEL,POWER TRAIN-CHASSIS,BODY,or ELECTRICAL)then what parts (IE:ENGINE OVERHAUL GASKET KIT)then press the "MORE INFO" blue button near the top left, and the diagrams will pop up.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice!... I'm going to put this to a lot of use... Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:14 AM

you are welcome.

that example is actually really good to use for reassembly because (as you have or will find out) the gasket kit is a bunch of loose, unlabeled parts for YOU to figure out where they go.

so much frustration during our 2 builds (and what provided the reason for making my THREAD "B") of getting parts or reading instructions(FSM,HAYNES) that are geared towards people who already have an intimate knowledge of mechanics rather than the do-it-yourself home mechanic.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 AM

Yup... I was concerned about getting a big bag of gaskets and not know what to do with them. It'll be nice to have these to compare everything to.... I've been reading about how to do a ring job. There's honing involved and all kinds of stuff... I know you don't know much about ring jobs, but do you think this is doable or should I start considering buying another engine to drop in?.....
Old 05-31-2012, 05:40 AM

arrg.

this is territory I have no clue about.

everything is do-able, but at what expense?.....money and time.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 PM

alright... I've been thinking and with all the work that would go into doing a ring job and my lack of experience I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to take on this challenge. I was planning on the HG and timing belt being the challenge here. The pistons and a ring job seem to be on a another level with honing and deglazing.... I don't want to screw anything up, but I was thinking that I could still come out of this with a good experience... After searching the web, I found a short block that I could drop in and start from there with my heads and original plan. I know it isn't the route most would go, but I'm overwhelmed as it is.... take a look at the link and let me know what you think and confirm I'm looking at the right one for my truck... Opinions and advice are always appreciated...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-88-95...item20be330a28
Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 AM

BUMP for ya.

this question is beyond me.

my only thought is to ask the machine shop where you are getting the heads done, what they think would be the best route. just seems this is about to get really expensive.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 AM

I'm planning on doing that once they open this morning... I'm stuck at work right now so been doing a little research. It seems if they can get it done for me under $650 it'll be a deal otherwise I can buy the short block above, drop it in and continue on with the rebuild. They seem like really good guys so we'll see. If I'm not careful it will get real pricey very quick. Man, I didn't think it would get this expensive... I thought I was going to swap out the hg and a couple of other parts to call it good. I meant to ask you if you guys did anything with the motor mounts. I don't remember reading anything, but I could've forgotten.

Last edited by AW1090; 06-01-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 AM

see "pandora's box". seems appropriate right about now.

I now I've seen plenty of "throw a 3.4 in there" comments peppered across the forum and rightfully so, but in the end you still have a motor of which you know very little about it's history. unless you can score one that was from a wrecked vehicle with low miles I would hesitate.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 AM

lol... I feel the same way. I agree about the 3.4 and it might be it my future at some point, but I'm lean towards fixing the 3.0. I looked at the 3.4 swap once I saw how bad everything was on my engine, but I can't wait around for one with low miles to show up... I'll see what the guys at the machine shop can do and go from there. I'll let you know how it goes....
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just got doe ging thru your thread. I am ot much help on the 3.0 but have done some rebuilding and such. Some suggestions I could make as I seen sandwich baggies mentioned about labeling bolts. For example put the bolts into the parts that dont have to go to a machine shop like the hood bolts. You can do the same for the intake,power steering and so on. It makes reassembly so much easier. You will get alot of baggies that go to the same area and can get confusing.

Another thing I do is use tote bins. On for the fuel sytem, one for each head or heads in this case. Keep each part with the nuts and bolt in the same bin and keeps from getting lost and you know it goes to that system. I am a cheapscape, I have found most of my bins on the road side but they can be bought a stores for a cheap price and are actually really tough. I have a whole block (22re) in one and can pick it up without it falling apart.

To bad you werent closer. I would be glad to help. If you follow the manuals step by step, you will eventually get it running. I was in your shoes several years ago on a 289 '68 Ford Mustang with no knowledge at all and no funds but didnt have a choice. Still remember sense of accomplishment and what I could do when I put my mind to it. Think you will have the same satisfaction when it is done. You will ge there with the right determination.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks Terry!.... I wish you were closer . I've been talking to the machine shop here and will be talking to them more this coming week when I take the heads in to be done. I'm going to take sunday and start cleaning things up including the block to gain a better assessment of the situation. The guy from the shop said with that much oil it sounds like something got clogged and started pouring oil into the intake. We'll see how it goes.... On a more positive note, I woke up today after sleeping, work nights, and my gasket kit was here. I didn't have time to snap any pics, but plan to tomorrow when I get off of work. I've gotta start figuring out where everything goes...

Last edited by AW1090; 06-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Gasket kit!.... I think you guys said it best with holy hell.... There's one big bag of gaskets. I'll have to figure out what's what and lay them all out. The last pic states there's been a change to the torque spec for the fuel rail bolts. Does this sound right or should I use the spec out of the manual?

Last edited by AW1090; 07-16-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:08 PM

I used the specs on the sheet....I think....or not. not sure.

no leaks though.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 PM

cool... I'll do that then as well. I'm planning on posting a pic of all the gaskets. I'm goiing to try and figure out where they all go, but was hoping to have a little help from everyone here as well. I thought it'd be helpful for everyone to have this gasket kit in a thread with all the gaskets labeled. I picked up a steel cup brush for my drill and a steel wire brush along with some acetone, purple power, and orange goop to clean the block with before determining if I need to give up and take it to the machine shop. Will any of this hurt the block in any way?.... I've been told purple power and orange goop both don't leave any residue, but I thought I'd go back over everything with acetone just in case.

Last edited by AW1090; 06-03-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 AM

for the top of the block i just used acetone and razor blades...very carefully. the sides, use whatever you want.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Acetone it is then.... I've got a very more pics of the rest of my injectors before I send them off. I was wondering which parts from the gasket kit to send with them to witchhunter....

Here are the six excluding the cold start injector which I posted earlier

I'm wondering if these are the same parts.... They don't look quite the same, but I don't have anything in the gasket kit that looks like the one on the injector. I looked at the diagrams and it shows an insulator and a spacer so I wasn't sure because this is how they came out of the engine. Were they missing one or the other?

Another shot of those parts that I'm wondering if they are the same.....

A pic of the parts I'm sending to witchhunter to use unless there is more in this kit I'm suppose to send to him.... hopefully you guys can help me out with this.... Thanks!

I'm planning on posting some pics of all the gaskets and o rings in the kit identifying what is what. I hope it will help others in the future with this as this gasket kit feels like a jumble of gaskets and o rings.

Last edited by AW1090; 06-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok don’t send any O-Rings or gaskets in just make sure you send the injectors with all the old seals, 0-rings, gaskets so they can match them it’s all part of the service. Read the shipping info http://www.witchhunter.com/shipinfo1.php4 it will tell you how to ship them and what to send good luck these guys are the best.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 AM

I'm sending the injectors with all the old o-rings/seals, but I wanted to make sure the injectors in the pic with all the parts are everything and a part didn't get stuck in the engine when I pulled the injectors out. I read that they replace everything, but I'd like to send whatever o-rings/seals I have for them. I don't have any use for them other than this so they'll just be sitting here..... I rather they be used.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 AM

nah...just send them. they will replace everything needed. you will end up with some unused stuff from that kit.

Quick Reply: Head gasket and timing belt replacement....