Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Head gasket and timing belt replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't offer much advice as far as the work you are doing but if you want an alternative to buying OEM but you don't want to sacrifice quality ROCK auto parts are really sweet. I have used their parts several times doing work on 22r/22re's and have never had the slightest problem. http://www.engnbldr.com/toyota-3.0-v-6.html . This is where I have always gotten pretty much any type of engine gasket/part I've needed for a toyota. If you are even slightly unsure of what you are ordering, give them a call. They are super helpful on the phone and can make suggestions that will save you time and money in the long run.

I wish you luck with your rebuild! I'd be just as nervous if not more so than you are
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad someone brought up the knock sensor, so glad this forum mentions it in detail. I read about it just in time before mine was back together.

I like the suggestion about being able to walk away too. This engine was def designed to drive people crazy. Good if you can take a break here and there.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was under the idea that my truck has the hydraulic tensioner.... is this correct or does it have the spring tensioner?.... All the parts I look up with my truck info put in show a spring tensioner in the timing belt kits...... just wanted to clear this up....
Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by AW1090
I was under the idea that my truck has the hydraulic tensioner.... is this correct or does it have the spring tensioner?.... All the parts I look up with my truck info put in show a spring tensioner in the timing belt kits...... just wanted to clear this up....

you will find out for sure when you get that cover off......
Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM

hehe.... Yup, I guess I will, but thought there may be a way to distinguish which I have before so I can order the right kit ahead of time.....
Old 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's the original motor, it will most likely have the spring tensioner. I believe they went to the hydraulic style sometime in 93.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm think the hydraulic tensioner came along in 1993....
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the input... I called a few places searching around and came up with the same results. I've put together a little parts list hoping to get input about the various parts (good/bad) and things I might be missing........

Rockauto
Dayco timing component kit with belt - pt#95154k1 $72.79 + shipping = $82.23
Aisin Oil Pump - pt#OPT027 OEM#15100-65020 $73.79 + shipping = $83.06
Gates Thermostat - Pt#33338 OEM#90916-03079 $6.10 + shipping = $9.15

Auto Parts Warehouse
Aisin Water Pump - pt#ASCWPT030 OEM#16100-69225 $55.66 + Free shipping = $55.66

LC Engineering
Engine Gasket kit with MLS gaskets pt#1018037 $149.95 + shipping = $174.03
Head Bolts pt#1024074 $34.95 + shipping = $48.20

1sttoyotaparts
Engine Gasket kit OEM#04111-65011 $289.39 + shipping = $318.33

Toyotapartszone
Knock Sensor wire OEM#82219-35010 $10.46 + shipping = $23.11

Engnbldr
Head Bolts pt#HBT031 $39.00 + shipping = $45.00ish estimate
Engine Gasket Set pt#FGS9500 $134.00 + shipping = $145.00ish estimate

So I've got some multiples.... give me your opinions on these. I'm unsure of the advantages of one t-stat over the other as well as the differences between the head bolts and gasket sets from different companies. I plan on calling this week to clear this up a little more, but the only one I can see a difference in are the gasket kits. The one from LC is multi-layered steel, but I'm not sure of the material of the others. I'm also unsure of the advantages in having the MLS gaskets. It's looking on the high end that it's going to run around $620.00 and on the low to run around $444.00 dependent mainly on advice from here on the parts in question.

On the service end:

Rebel Rebuilders (Local Machine shop) $100.00/ea = $200ish
- Clean, pressure test, resurface heads with valve job to include adjustment
Cruzin performance $18.00/ea x 7 = $126.00 + shipping = $140.00ish
- Fuel injector service with flow testing

The service end should run me around $340.00 making a total so far of $784.00 on the low side and the high side coming in at $960.00. Please give advice about any of this as I'll take it all into consideration. Sorry for the long post.... It's a little bit of the OCD kicking in plus it's nice to have it all in one place so if the wife decides to toss my notes I've still got the info...... Thanks!

Last edited by AW1090; 05-07-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:11 PM

I called today and got a little more information on the gasket kits and head bolts... After some reading, I'm planning on going with the MLS gasket kit from LC Engineering. I asked about the head bolts and was told I had the choice of head bolts or head studs. I haven't read any posts on head studs with the 3vze so I'm planning on going with the head bolts, but probably from Engnbldr as from my understanding they are a heavier duty bolt. I'm still unsure about differences between t-stats so I plan on doing a little more research before coming to a decision about which to purchase and why to purchase that one. This brings the total down to around $473 for parts and with service to the heads and injectors the total comes to about $813.

Last edited by AW1090; 05-07-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 AM

head bolts we got from LC Engineering.
gasket set from TOYOTA
Aisin oil and water pumps from ???
thermostat from TOYOTA
Dayco timing components....Goodyear belt
Old 05-08-2012, 03:51 AM

sweet..... Thanks for the list. I read through your thread more than once and had most of the places you guys got your parts. I used them during my parts price research and found these to be the best prices. The Dayco timing component kit includes the timing belt... Did your kit not?

Did you learn anything about the head bolt/stud subject?.... Which is better and what's the difference between engnbldr's and LC's bolts?

I feel like I've read so many threads they're all starting to blend together, but I work nights at a hospital here so it helps to pass the time.... When reading through your thread I thought you mentioned working in the ER.... Is this right or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Last edited by AW1090; 05-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 AM

nope....ER for 18 years.

really, kinda bypassed engnbldr on this one. then it became a matter of kinda combining purchases due to shipping. needed exhaust studs from LC, so we went with their head bolts as well.

I could be wrong, but I swear the component kit did not have a belt. again, I could be wrong.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 AM

Sorry, thought I read you were working there.... I'm kinda working with the same mindset of combining purchases to keep from paying a ton in shipping and ordering from more places than I need to so I thought since I'm getting the gasket kit from LC I might as well get the head bolts from there. This was as long as there wasn't some major difference between the two such as engnbldr's more evenly distribute pressure.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 AM

no.....I DO work in the ER....for 18 years, plus pre-hospital stuff.

I remember writing an aggravated post about LC and asking for what was included in their gasket set...something like "it's in the picture" but in the same picture it says something like it may not represent the actual contents....in other words, I did not get an intelligent response as to what was included. so that was a huge turnoff. and being that I read in several places that the TOYOTA gaskets were the updated ones I chose to go with the TOYOTA ones. mostly, what I have seen is that you SHOULD ALWAYS go with TOYOTA stuff when it comes to most things (head gaskets, thermostat)...and that's exactly what we did. so that's what I will recommend. as far as other components (such as the clutch, oil pump and water pump) we went with the AISIN since that's what's there to begin with. although I am sure that other aftermarket stuff would perform quite fine, we went with our choices based upon the "THIS IS SUCH A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO DO AND HOPE TO NEVER DO IT AGAIN" idea.....at least on the big ticket or crucial items.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM

that's cool..... I'm a pediatric CVICU RN here in little rock and starting medical school in the fall. It seems like medical is all I know... I figure you feel the same with 18 years under your belt.

I'm still not sure on the gaskets. I think the same way as far as keep with OEM, but the MLS gaskets sound so good and are a little cheap. I don't know.... I've got a little more time before we need them as I still have to get the truck towed to were I'm gonna do the work. Once it starts I'll start posting pics.....
Old 05-10-2012, 02:56 AM

that's cool..... I'm a pediatric CVICU RN here in little rock and starting medical school in the fall. It seems like medical is all I know... I figure you feel the same with 18 years under your belt.

I'm still not sure on the gaskets. I think the same way as far as keep with OEM, but the MLS gaskets sound so good and are a little cheap. I don't know.... I've got a little more time before we need them as I still have to get the truck towed to were I'm gonna do the work. Once it starts I'll start posting pics.....

see..I like the ER cuz my "clients" go away rather fast. med school?? like doctor school?? cuz that's the easy way out. LOL! I've told Joe to make it easy on himself and just go be a Doctor.

if I understand all this correctly: the TOYOTA gaskets were upgraded at some point and that's why we went with them. making sure the heads are not warped is of the utmost importance...having them checked for cracks / damage or otherwise would be a high priority for me if you cannot swear to their condition (as in...if this was your vehicle and you can attest as to how it's been used). the other issue I remember, is the crossover pipe....and the elimination thereof. that's why we went with Doug Thorley headers.....to get all that heat off the back of the motor. made reassembly easier too...especially the top transmission bolts.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:44 AM

lol... Yup, I can see the ER being nice in the fact that no matter if they're good or bad they all go away... I like the kiddos in our CV b/c most of them are vec'd and sedated so they aren't moving while being comfortable. I can focus on the lab and the medical aspect instead of a ton of patient interaction.... not that it's all bad just not a big talker. Yup, I decided to make it a little easier and get out of working my butt off. I'll be starting Dr. school in August. I'm pretty excited about it..... He should go for sure.

I'll keep thinking on the gaskets. I've still got to get it torn down so there's a little time. I think I need to find out all that comes in the kit and look at it from that angle to make sure I have everything and I'm not ordering something I don't need. I thought about headers as well since I've read about the heat build up problem, but not sure I can spend that kinda money on the headers. I may go the elimination route via custom pipes using a shop here. We'll see how it goes..... I'll keep you updated...

Last edited by AW1090; 05-11-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:56 AM

sooooo..... I'm a little confused. Should I get an Engine gasket kit or Head gasket kit?.... I think all this reading is starting to get to me...
Old 05-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
post #482, 521,524, 530, 535, 542, 543,

looks like all in that area I was searching parts....move forward from there.

mind you, his is an 88

crap...I thought I explained it but I did not. I believe it is "valve grind kit" versus "engine overhaul gasket"....do some light reading starting with that post. I just got home and have about a minute here.....
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 AM

yup.... In some posts the gasket kit names are used interchangably, this is a little confusing. The price and part number I posted above is for the engine overhaul gasket kit, but if the valve grind kit has all I'll need to do the heads and timing belt I'll go with that instead. The two kits:

OEM# 04111-65011 Engine Overhaul Gasket Kit $289.39
OEM# 04112-65011 Valve Grind Gasket Kit $269.42

So not much difference in cost, but still would like to know what the Engine overhaul kit includes versus the Valve grind kit....... I'll do some more searching....

Quick Reply: Head gasket and timing belt replacement....