Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hard to start the first time on a hot day

Old 05-26-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to start the first time on a hot day

I've found lots of help and great info on this site for past issues but finally need to register and post a question for a very specific starting problem on my '86 22re 5 speed 4runner.

When it gets up to about 85 degrees out before I start my truck for the first time of the day it takes several tries to start up. Its got a new starter and rewired relay so turns right over and the engine seems to get get going but almost immediately sputters and dies. I normally give it just a bit of throttle as I turn the ignition but when this problem is happening the throttle just doesn't seem to respond. After a few start attempts it will sputter for a few seconds and then eventually the throttle will respond and the engine will get going.

Once it gets going I can basically turn it off after a few seconds and it will start right back up again and start fine the rest of the day. Also starts fine in moderate and cold weather.

I've poked around a bit and it doesn't seem like the throttle cable or the flaps in the maf and efi are physically stuck.

There's one other weird temperature related thing going on that could be related but I don't know enough about how the engine and efi work to figure it out.
I'm leaking just a bit of what I think is coolant at some point late morning as the day heats up. Not enough to have a noticeable effect on my fluid level though. I think its coming from the end of a coolant line under the efi I can't reach to tighten without taking apart more than I'm comfortable with. I've assumed it was either something pressurizing and/or rubber and metal expanding at different rates allowing a small temporary leak.
Could it be something else leaking? Could coolant be leaking out of somewhere that prevents a sensor from working right away?

Thanks for any help or ideas you have.

Last edited by fenster8; 05-26-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
This might be the first time I can point out that TSB to someone...where it might actually apply. What TSB you ask? Hold on...let me find it for you.

Here it be: http://www.toyotapart.com/22R-E,_22R...T-EG011-89.pdf

On the coolant leak question, no. Couldn't possibly be related, in any way that I can possibly imagine. But you should take care of that ASAP.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-26-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info

I'll check to see if those have already been updated.
Yesterday I would have said I'm not sure which of the 2 problems in that bulletin apply, but this morning I started it once early, then a while later I turned it on and moved it around the corner to load something, and then 15 minutes later it took three tries to start. That doesn't usually happen so now I'm really stumped.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Before you start replacing temperature switches, you might step back a step and look for something obvious. As MudHippy suggests, it does sound like a vapor-lock issue, which the pressure-up is designed to address. So check to make sure all the relevant vacuum plumbing is in place. You might use a multimeter to check whether the existing temp switch 2 is closed on those warm mornings.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM

Yeah, i'm not in a rush to replace anything but want to at least check figure out if I have the old or newer parts.
The vacuum line diagram is too faded to read on my truck and i've been told that it has a newer efi, or maybe even newer model engine, and so the diagram may not be accurate anyway. So I don't know how to make sure all the vacuum lines are correct. I've checked lines for leaks had the truck looked at by several mechanics who didn't point out any issues. But they also haven't solved my starting problem.

Could you give me some details on exactly where and how to test the temp switch. I have and occasionally use a multimeter when following instructions but don't really understand a lot of what I'm doing.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ne/41fuelp.pdf

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...40engineco.pdf