86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The GF rolled my Runner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SigEp4Runner
Looking at the blue book it says my runner is only worth about $2300!!?? That's with the tires and all the goods? Knowing from experience I doubt I will get much more than that for this thing. Its pretty crazy because I couldn't even buy one on craigslist for that much? I guess I'll just have to wait to hear from the insurance company and see if they're going to base what my truck is worth off of KBB or off of what theyre going for in my area. I'm sure it will be what ever is the cheapest they can find. It kinda sucks the way it works, if i were any other person that only had one vehicle and wasnt able to do the repairs I would be SOL. If the damage was enough that the truck didnt run I would be out of a perfectly good vehicle, maybe this is why we have so many wrecking yards!!

Hopefully I dont get ripped off, but either way I need to get cracking on the beast to get it ready for fall (oregon rain). Hopefully I get enough for SAS. If not I can seal it up, get a new door and a new windshield and keep the rest to do something fun to it or add it to the Supercharger fund for the RSX.
KBB is missing some important aspects: SUPPLY & DEMAND. Of course, those cannot be set in stone, since they depend on many, many factors.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:21 PM

Started working on the rig today:

Getting the door off was a pain in the arse!! It took forever because I took everything out of it in order to get the wires out. Why couldn't they have made a plug right on the inside of the kit panel??? I am going to get the full door from the guy I'm buying parts from in the morning, is there some sort of disconnect I missed? I think I may just cut the new door harness and make some sort of quick disconnect to put it back together. There is no way I'm going to take everything out of the new door, I don't know if I could get it back together. Quick disco could be useful in case I decide to get some tube doors in the future. Working at fastenal I should be able to find some sort of plug set up that could make for a nice harness disconnect.

The window frame looks worse and worse as i dig deeper and deeper into the runner. Its going to take a lot of work to get it straightened out. My old door is pretty bent up, but it makes a good candidate for a half door attempt, I just have to get the opening mechanism put back in right so I can get it to work.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Got the new rear quarter window in and the windshield out. I also checked the wires on the new door and thankfully they match the ones on my rig, I had some worries that I was going to have a nightmare getting the new door to work.

The Butyle tape to seal the rear windows up is some pretty cool stuff, its not easy to find though.

Getting the broken windshield out was one of the hardest things I have had to do to a vehicle. I'm glad I wasn't trying to take out a good window, I would have broke it for sure.

Oh and I picked up a cool gas door from the parts rig I got everything else from, it came with a great sticker! It will be coming off when I get this thing finished, I don't know if I am cool enough to keep it.

The rig looks 10 times better with a rear window in and the bad door off, it almost looks new again. I laid down a thin coat of flat black paint on the bare spots to keep it from rusting until I can prep and throw down some real paint. I'm thinking I will either truck bed liner the whole thing or go with flat black. The paint wont be anything special since I don't plan on doing any body work to the rig.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 PM

Subscribed!

I love it!
Check out the camo paints at ace hardware!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive been following this for a while, so i might as well subscribe. lookin good excited to see the final product.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Looking good. Go bedliner. I just started doing it to my rig. Started doing rocker panels and liked way it looks so gonna do whole truck. Using dupli-color bed armor. Its good.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM

If I do bedliner I'm gonna go with raptor liner, I used it on my bumper and I liked it. The raptor liner also has some that you can mix with any color paint you want so I think I'll go tan or something along those lines.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Tried getting the door on today and I ran into a pretty big alignment issue!!!

This is how far in the frame was bent from landing on the side. The top hinge is almost 3/4" off on the top. The bottom hinge lines up fine and the door sits pretty good except for one spot:

There is about a 6 inch section above the top hinge that doesnt even touch the truck, you can see the light coming through in the picture.

I am going to a wedding tomorrow so I wont get to work on it then, but sunday I am going to get a come-a-long and make a bracket to bolt to the hinge. I am going to try to heat up the area that is pushed in and pull it out with the come-a-long attached to a tree! Once I get it to seal and the hinge to line up I am good to go.

Besides the one door issue, everything is looking pretty good.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Everything was going great, got everything together and had the door wired back up. Took the beast in to get a windshield put in today and they can't do it!!! They held the window up in the frame and showed me exactly why they couldn't do it and it is way off! Things went from great to horrible with the beast. I could take it to a body shop and get some quotes, but I'm thinking it's going to be expensive or impossible. Time to start looking for a 84-85 runner again. Atleast I have the rig and didn't spend too much money on it to get to this point.

Last edited by SigEp4Runner; 08-31-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
throw a high lift inside and fix yopur window frame. the glass is alot smaller than the hole so you should have some wiggle room. a high lift jack makes a good body tool ha ha
Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM

ill sell you my complete 92 that needs a valve job for 700 bucks and you can body swap it and have tons of extra parts
Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM

just an idea find just a first gen body, all of the mounts line up except two close to the back. in one long day you could have a new ride at a small price.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 PM

I like the body swap idea. Already put time and money in to it. Body swap would be cool.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Have you considered putting in a lexan windshield? You could use screws and butyl tape to seal it, and tons of silicone of course

Had a buddy do the same after a flop that crushed the top corner of the windshield frame. He used a HiLift to get it back "pretty close" to the right size/shape and had the lexan cut to fit.

Don't let one little issue cause you to give up on this one! Plenty of potential in that 4runner!

Last edited by *darcy*; 09-08-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm curious, how much would a lexan windshield cost?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 PM

That looks great! I have looked into this, but I'm concerned with it getting scratched up from the wipers. How did it hold up to scrapes and wind? I would rivet mine in if I did this. I'll post picks of the gap I have in mine, it's pretty large. What thickness of lexan was used on that rig? I've also seen people put a coat of black paint around the edges like the stock glass to make it look pretty much like a stock window, I think I may have to go this route if it will hold up to the wipers. I was just going to build up glue on the side with the gap and hope it didn't leak, but the lexan would look way better.

Last edited by SigEp4Runner; 09-08-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 PM

So here is the gap i'm trying to fix:

As you can see, it is close to an inch wide and it spans the entire passenger side where the window sits on the pillar. I think a polycarbonate/lexan window is my only option since it would bend to fit, but I have my concerns.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
you could try fiberglass. Really any kind of filler. I think lexan is the way to go. If nothing else it will give you something to get you by until you can do a body swap or find a really good body shop and save to get it fixed. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I don't think Lexan would hold up to a winter of the wipers being used all the time with the weather we have in the PNW...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 AM

true but if you had to make a new windshield every summer thats not so bad. i had one in my 92 yj, please dont hate, and the frame was so rusted the glass company wouldnt touch it. lexan from home depot worked great but had to be replaced in the summer.

Quick Reply: The GF rolled my Runner!