86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The GF rolled my Runner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GF rolled my Runner!

Well it wasn't her fault which is the exact opposite of what I was thinking when she called me, but now I need to figure out what I'm gonna do with the rig.

car that hit her is to the right of the runner in this pic.

She was driving home from work today when a couple that had just moved to Oregon from Texas ran a stop sign and nailed her right under the drivers door (no offense to texans, they just weren't familiar with portland). Now I could be mad that this is my 4Runner, but things would have been much worse if she was driving a car. My runner cleared the hood of the car and the rear wheel road right over their hood causing her to spin and roll on the side.

The funny thing about the wreck is that the side that the car hit her on doesn't even have a scratch, but the passenger side is now wrinkled to crap and missing all of the windows. Oh and no one wanted to help her out of the runner. Everyone backed up as soon as coolant started leaking out because they thought it was gas and the thing was going to blow up (freaking movies are turning people into wimps). The guy that hit her ended up running over and pulling her out through the drivers window after she was screaming for a while.

By the time I got to the scene the runner was already flipped back over and on the tow truck. I didn't get a chance to see if it still runs, but I'm sure it does. The windows are an easy fix and I can replace doors that may be beat up too much, but I'm concerned because the police report says that there was damage under the truck. I just got a new car and the 4runner was going to be a project, so now I can really get crazy with it . Do you guys think this thing is still worth it?

I am going to go take a look at it tomorrow and get a better idea of the damages. What kind of damage could have really happened under that section of the 4Runner that the car hit? I really think the cops just checked the box for underneath damage for the hell of it. If this thing still runs is it worth buying back from the insurance company?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so shes ok? its probably going to hurt tomorrow. health first, vehicle second. but that really sucks. make sure their insurance company doesn't screw you.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
^^ x2 on that. we kid about "truck comes first", but we all know it doesn't. hope everyone is well, and if not, hope they get well soon.

aaand i say: if the frame ain't bent, trail rig!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad to hear she's okay man, god was on her side!

and hell, if its totalled buy it back, worst case scenario your out a couple hundred bucks, but i can all ready see some parts i'd be willing to take off your hands if you catch my drift.

ive seen people plenty of times repair stuff after a bad rollover, and its all turned out just fine!

and if you wanna make a trail rig, go for it, bent frame or not. since you dont have to worry about driving it on the road, that gives you a more direct route to mods. if you wanna choose something, just go for the biggest baddest you can find, since you dont need to worry about street driving.

though, i must say. my 85's frame is tweaked about 1/4 of an inch, and whenever im in a tight trail, going forward and reverse, the truck moves over to the right, even if the wheel is straight, wich is a pita.

for example. if i was parked along side a cowpen fence, about 5 feet away. and the wheel was straight as an arrow, if i just went forward and reverse a couple times, i'd end up about 1 foot away. wich sucks because factor in tail swing, and theres no way to get away from the fence without hitting it one way or another.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Wow they backed up when they saw coolant and left her screaming in a rolled over vehicle? Jesus christ. Im sorry, but I wouldn't been seriously pissed off about that. I cant believe no one checked to see if she was ok at the sight of the scary red/yellow/lime green fluid... No one should be operating a vehicle if they dont know what gasoline smells or looks like.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 PM

if i happened to be there, and noticed it was a girl driving (same goes for elderly people) i would sure as hell put my life at risk and just run up there to rescue her. now if it was just some guy, i'd help, but i'd walk up alittle bit more cautiously and carefully.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
sucks about the wreck dude. And its freaking oregon! DAMN HIPPIES!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 AM

Get the settlement, buy back the salvage and fix it.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
That sucks...where in portland did this happen?
Sounds like your GF is ok, cool...check the truck closely..I doubt the frame side that took the imact is gonna be damaged, possible the rear suspension got tweaked on the DS...good time to learn body work
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Holy man. I'm with some of the other guys on here. Everyone around should have been running to your girlfriends aid...unbelievable!

I don't know if you guys have this law in the States but, up here there is a law called " The Good Samaritan Act". It protects those who choose to serve and tend to others who are injured or ill. It is intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death. In the province of Quebec, it's against the law if you DON'T stop and try to help. If someone gets your plate number and reports it to the police, you can be charged. It's the same way in a lot of European countries as well.

Hopefully your girlfriend was too banged up and won't be 'gun shy' of getting back behind the wheel. Always sad to see yota's on their side.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
x2, I'm with everyone else, glad she appears to be ok. Get the settlement, buy it back and start some body work. Build thread forthcoming?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 AM

Thanks guys, she is going to be fine. The paramedics were trying to take here straight to the hospital before she even got any of the other drivers information, but she was firm on waiting for me to show up. I took her to the hospital after to make sure things were fine and she is just going to be a little stiff for a couple days.

Originally Posted by vital22re
sucks about the wreck dude. And its freaking oregon! DAMN HIPPIES!!!
Haha, yes all these Duck lovers up here!

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
That sucks...where in portland did this happen?
Sounds like your GF is ok, cool...check the truck closely..I doubt the frame side that took the imact is gonna be damaged, possible the rear suspension got tweaked on the DS...good time to learn body work
Right over the bridge from downtown, 7th and Washington. I guess that intersection is really bad, all the people in the surrounding businesses said it happens all the time.

Last edited by SigEp4Runner; 08-05-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 AM

Being an ex-firefighter, I'm already hitting the 4 ways and blocking traffic before I even start thinking about it. Glad to hear someone finally put their big boy pants on and friggin helped her. this crap really pushes my buttons.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Glad to hear she is ok. That looks like it had to have hurt...
Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad your girl is ok. With a welder, some come-alongs, and ingenuity, you can have even the most tweaked of chassis straight again.

Regarding people not helping your girl- shame on them. I was raised to always help those in need, especially in a situation like that. I wouldn't be thinking of myself in that instant, but rather help that poor girl who's trapped in a rolled vehicle!

My brother pulled a lady out of a burning vehicle a few months back. Both doors were jammed shut, and the windows were rolled up/locked. He ended up using a Leatherman saw to cut the windshield out of the car to pull her through. Newspapers wanted his name, etc.. etc... He just said he did the right thing, and that he'd rather not be recognized for it and to have a good day. That was the last of it. The lady, though thoroughly shocked, ended up being ok.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 AM

one picture?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Can we see pictures of the rig rolled back over on all 4s?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats a flop !
Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM

To be safe you might want to pull the plugs before cranking it ,in case it has oil in the cylinders. It is good that your gf wasn't hurt to seriously.

Last edited by swampfox; 08-05-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Sorry for the one pic guys, by the time I got there it was all loaded up on the tow truck. I was more concerned with getting the info i needed from the cops and a card from the tow truck driver. The paramedics were also in my ear about getting her to the hospital so I didnt really have time to snap any pics, my girl actually took that pic while she was being tended to LOL. I think she knew that I would need a pic for this forum since she hates how much attention I give to my vehicles. I took a half day at work, I just got home and am getting ready to fill out the report and head to the tow yard to assess the damage so I dont get ripped off by the insurance. She said the truck was running while it was on its side for a bit, but turned it off before she got out, I was concerned about the oil since it was on its side. How much damage could that cause? I am going to bring my plug socket and some extensions so I can take one plug out to check, but I think they had the thing rolled up right and out of the intersection within 15 min.

I am going to bring a jug of water to top of the radiator as well, just in case too much coolant leaked out, but from the pic it doesn't look like it. Is there anything I should check before I try to start the beast? By the way, I am going to start calling it the beast since my Acura is Black Betty and the runner has one ugly side now, Betty and the Beast.

I think I finally have an excuse to chop the back off and have my buddy make a canopy top for it.

Edit: Ill snap some pics while Im at the tow yard for you guys, I'm really interested in seeing the frame where they hit.

Last edited by SigEp4Runner; 08-05-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: The GF rolled my Runner!