Gear drive transfer case onto 3vz-e manual tranny - YotaTech Forums

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear drive transfer case onto 3vz-e manual tranny

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #1  

Gear drive transfer case onto 3vz-e manual tranny

Anybody got personal experience with this mod???

I'm gonna put a single RF1A into my manual tranny 3vz-e 1995 4Runner using a Trail Gear adaptor.

Just wondering what driveshaft and t-case mount to cross-member mods may be required so that I can decide how much downtime to expect for the case installation. Thanks for input.
millball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #2  
RJR

I've studied the same thing, but got a good deal on dual cases and decided to go that route instead. Here's what I figured out for a single case RF1A swap.
- The tcase will move back by about 3/4-1 inch (the thickness of the adaptor). That may make the rear drive shaft too long - in my case the rear drive shaft is already compressed almost all the way, so doesn't have much room to take up that extra inch. My front drive shaft is also compressed fully, so would likely stretch enough to not need lengthening.
- With the tcase moving back, I suspect the crossmember mount wouldn't line up any more, and would have to be modified. Budbuilt sells a couple of different crossmember mounts to handle a single RF1 case with V6 adaptor, or a dual case setup behind the same V6 adaptor. Their mounts are expensive at ~$300, but they do provide significantly better ground clearance under the tcase and better protection for the case than the stock setup. (I see you are already using their crossmembers).

Are you going with a 4.7 low-range in the RF1A? I considered doing that but felt the 4.7 would be too slow for a lot of my offroad driving, so decided to go with duals instead for more flexibility. I'll post up later this winter when I get around to making the swap. I'll be interested in your experiences as well.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
Are you going with a 4.7 low-range in the RF1A? I considered doing that but felt the 4.7 would be too slow for a lot of my offroad driving, so decided to go with duals instead for more flexibility. I'll post up later this winter when I get around to making the swap. I'll be interested in your experiences as well.
Yes, That is the reason for changing out the T-case.

The 4.7 gears are in the mail. I already have a single 4.7 case in my first gen 4Runner, and I like it. 5th gear low range is about the same as 1st gear high range.

Although there would be a little more flexibility with dual cases, I don't think that I really need them for the conditions I operate in, although I did buy a dual case crossmember, just in case, and I'm using it in single case configuration in my '87.

I'll post up when I get anything done. I have to build up the 4.7 case first.

Last edited by millball; 06-11-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #4  
RJR

I did seriously consider going with a single 4.7 case, but I do a lot of driving on backroads where I'm going up and down steep hills, running 5-20 mph. That's perfect with a 2.5 ratio, but the 4.7 would mean 4000 rpm at 20mph, and high range (1:1) is often too fast on the steep hills. I'm excited to try the dual cases.

I measured the distance from the front mounting surface of the VF1A case back to the first mounting bolt, and that distance is almost exactly the same as the RF1A with the V6 adaptor bolted on the front. So, it looks like the VF1A crossmember might fit the RF1A with V6 adaptor and no mods.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
I measured the distance from the front mounting surface of the VF1A case back to the first mounting bolt, and that distance is almost exactly the same as the RF1A with the V6 adaptor bolted on the front. So, it looks like the VF1A crossmember might fit the RF1A with V6 adaptor and no mods.
Great news, thanks.

I am more optimistic that the swap can be done without major changes to other components. The trail gear rep I talked to was not very knowledgeable.