Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

V6 chain to gear drive t-case question

Old 01-18-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 chain to gear drive t-case question

I have a 1991 Toyota ex cab v6 5spd and I blew up the t-case. I purchased the trail creeper single case from trail gear with the v6 adapter plate. The new gear driven t-case has a smaller hole for the 4wd indicator then the original chain driveb t-case. I haven't been able to find any information on this and the directions from trail gear state to reinstall the original 4wd indicator sensor... Is there a specific indicator I should purchase that will work or should I just put a plug in the new t-case? I sent an email to trail-gear but I'm impatiently awaiting their response lol. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Plug it for now, then research the sensor. Some reason trailgear tech support has been lacking lately.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM

Thanks muddpigg!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM

So I'm having problems and I hope someone on here can help. I have searched the forums and not finding an answer.
I have a 1991 Toyota Pickup v6 5spd. I started a chain drive to gear drive t-case swap. I purchased the trail gear creeper single gear drive case and their v6 adapter plate. The t-case with plate bolted up to my tranny but that is when the problems started. The directions from trail gear state to reinstall your original 4wd sensor, speed sensor, and cross member with mount. None of those original parts work with this new gear drive t-case. My 4wd indicator sensor is to large to thread into the hole on the new case. My original non-electric, mechanical gear speed sensor is to large to fit into the hole on the new case and the cross member mount doesn't line up with the bolt holes on the new case... The direction state to reuse all the original so I started this swap not expecting to have all these problems... Has anyone done this swap that can help? I purchased the TG crossmember mount that supposedly will mount to the new case but now I don't know if that will bolt to my v6 cross member (haven't got the mount yet to see). Now the truck is held up I'm the shop and I need to get this rolling again! Lol any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might need to source 4 cyl transfer case parts and mounts.

You are swapping two different transfer cases so it wouldn't surprise me that parts and mounts do not interchange.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:43 PM

Now I'm finding out that my factory front driveline doesn't line up with any of the patterns in the triple drilled flange on the trail-gear tcase... Anyone have any ideas other than swapping out and using my old flange from my old chain drive or buying a different driveline?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 AM

Scratch that last post. Apparently I didn't try every single pattern like I thought. I decided to try one more time and eventually I found the right pattern and it worked.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, any help greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:53 PM

Are you swapping a gear drive t-case in your Toyota? I got it pretty much competed now so any questions I can probably answer. A few things I discovered that I didn't see mentioned in trail-gear directions were the need to cut down the shift rail that has a hook at the end. Don't cut the hook completely off but just enough for it to clear cause it won't shift otherwise.

I had to locate a 4wd sensor, speedo and transfer case mount from a '79-89 Toyota Pickup 4cyl with the gear drive case. A little cutting in the floor at the base to make a little more room for the t-case shifter helps but isn't necessary. I didn't cut mine but its tight. If you have any specific questions let me know!
Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Yes, I have a trail gear 4.7 single case going in. I am having an easy time finding the electronic speedo vss but I can't find a mechanical one and i definitely need the mechanical one. I also don't know what 4wd indicator to buy, the one I have is too larger to fit in the threaded hole. Part numbers would be extremely helpful but even the correct name would be helpful as my searches haven't turned up much except pictures of what I want.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:08 PM

I just got through going through all of this lol. Trail gears instructions say to reuse your 4wd indicator and speedo. I had a 91 so I didn't need the VSS converter but my original mechanical speedo and 4wd indicator didn't fit! No mention of needing these with this swap in the instructions so that was frustrating!

So apparently you need the mechanical speedo from a '79-90 4cyl pickup and the 4wd indicator also from the 79-90 4cyl truck. So I had a really hard time sourcing these. No one sells them. Every junk yard I called stated they sold them with their t-cases. I ended up doing a craigslist search to find individuals parting out a truck that met this criteria. I found them but had to drive an hour east for the 4wd indicator and then an hour west for the speedo! But the both worked great. You will also need the t-case mount from the '79-90 4cyl truck. Your V6 cross member will work fine though. I would recommend looking on craigslist for the speedo and sensor and see if you can find someone parting out a truck that will sell them. I got the speedo for $15 and the 4wd for free from a guy I know. All the rest of your parts should work fine though. Might need to do a little sheet metal cutting in the floor where the t-case shifter comes through. The rear side of that hole, if trimmed about 1/2" would be helpful but mine worked without trimming so either way.

Oh also if you haven't installed the case make sure you cut down the shift rail with the hook at the end. The directions from TG again didn't mention this but turns out the shift rails don't line up with the indent on the tranny with the new gear drive case. I installed the whole thing just to find out it won't shift. Had to take it back out and cut it down but now it works great!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help. Sorry I don't have part numbers. All the parts stores I called didn't even show a part number or part available and I didn't call Toyota as I knew the price there would be painful! lol
Old 02-01-2016, 05:19 PM

Thanks so much for the info. Wow, that is pretty ridiculous that they sell these thing without any mention of those issues. If it wasn't for this thread I would have installed it and it wouldn't shift and I would have had to pull it back out as well. I'm doing an auto to manual swap at the same time as this so you have no idea how much time and frustration you have saved me!

I am assuming that you have to grind the shift fork flush with the adapter plate. Is that correct?

Thanks for confirming as well that those parts are just about impossible to find. I have seriously searched for a couple of hours on eBay Amazon rock auto auto parts warehouse and I haven't come up with a single part for the 4wd indicator and the mechanical speedo.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Ya that sounds like a big job! I ground mine flush with the adapter when fully extended which should leave the hook still. This keeps the shift fork from traveling to far into the case.

Ya I understand your frustration on sourcing those parts. I searched all those places as well but nothing. I found another guy with the sensor and speedo on craigslist in Walla Walla, WA. Not sure where your are located but he had both and said he would sell both for $55. Hopefully you find something locally.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 AM

Do you know if the 4wd indicator had one wire or two wires coming out of it? Apparently there were a couple versions of it.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:13 AM

My 1991 Pickup came with a two wire sensor originally. The one I found was also a two wire but it was broken. I got it for free to just plug the hole. I thought it just controlled the dash 4x4 light but I was wrong lol. When I got it all together my 4wd didn't work. I thought somethkgn was wrong in the t-case but I put it in gear and looked under the truck and the front driveline was spinning so I realized the 4wd sensor is what triggers the automatic differential disconnect to engage. I disconnected the vaccuum lines under the hood on the passenger side and connected straight to the intake and it works lol. Planning a solid axle swap hopefully in the near future!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:13 PM

Well I tracked down the parts from the dealer for a W56 transmission. Not too bad, 75 bucks a piece. I pick them up in the morning, hopefully they work. I will post part numbers for those in the future that fall into this hole.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:11 PM

I tracked down the manual speedometer part numbers.

3348239135 speedometer gear. $41.72
3340435010 speedometer sleeve assy $32.64
3348530020 plate to hold speedometer assy in place $3.24

I also ordered the transfer case 4wd indicator for a 1990 4Runner 4cyl with a W56 transmission.

8422235050 transfer case indicator switch $76.79

This gave me a part that matches the threads but it was too short to engage the shift rod by 5/8" so I came up with a fix. I machined a copy of the end of the sensor to ride on the shift rod and the back end of it now depressed the switch on the sensor. I made it out of 304 stainless so that I can pull it back out with a magnet if needed. I tested it with my volt meter and it works.

Here is a picture of what I mean:
Attached Thumbnails V6 chain to gear drive t-case question-photo33.jpg  
Old 03-30-2016, 07:04 PM

So my V6 transfer case mount off the chain driven Tcase is way too narrow to mount to the gear driven 4cyl Tcase but Marlin sells one that fits all gear driven tcases from 79-95 and trail gear sells one that first 82-95 and is the same as the V6 apparently. So what do I actually need because none of this is actually making sense.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Lots of helpful info here. I'm building a single gear drive case to go into my '95 Runner in place of the chain drive case. Did you guys have to do any driveshaft mods to fit your single case retro-fits??
Old 07-06-2018, 05:28 AM

If you are just changing the Tcase and not lifting or solid axle swapping it then you don't need a different drive shaft.

Last edited by Yotard; 07-06-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 chain to gear drive t-case question