Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99-00 Transfer Case swap onto 96-98

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99-00 Transfer Case swap onto 96-98

A similar thread was created back in 2003, but no one came up with a definite answer. My question was can a transfer case from a 99-00 be swapped on to a 96-98? I would like the ability (like the 99-00) to have full time 4WD capability on my 97 4Runner Limited.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

I dont see why it couldnt? The auto tranny's are the same from '96 to '02. and I am pretty sure that all of the X-fer cases are the same. They just changed something internally for it to have the AWD or whatever, but the flange where it bolts to the tranny, the input shaft are the same. Dont take my word for it though, I havent even owned my '98 a week, but then again I have been reading on here since '02!
Old 01-28-2006, 04:44 PM

Does anyone happen to know the transfer case model numbers for the 96-98 and 99-00?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The trannys aren't the same, the older models with part time 4WD had the A340H and with the full time 4WD they use the A340F. From what I understand the transfer case on the A340H cannot be seperated from the tranny. They share the same fluid and the transfer case is hydraulically controlled. The A340F uses a manual controlled transfer case, though actually on the newer 4Runners it's electrically controlled. You may have to do a swap of the tranny as well.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:13 PM

I just found out that the A340H were used in the 95 and older 4R, and starting in 96, they started to use the A340F model. My orginal question was about swapping in a 99-00 transfer case to a 96-98 so my 97 can have full time capability. The T-case for the 96-98 is called the R100 which is obviously part time, and the T-case for the 99-01 is called the VF3AM which has full time capability.

Last edited by 4RUNN!N; 01-29-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 99 "multi-mode" xf case is longer than the sr5 manual case (same from 96-00 on sr5's and on 96-98 limiteds).

it would probably swap in, but you have to get the xf case and the 4wd ecu. also, if you have a rear e-locker, then you need an ecu for multimode AND elocker. you might also need new driveshafts, and then you'd have some serious wiring to do since it's basically an elocker in the xf case. on top of that, you have some indicator lights on the dash for the multimode that aren't the same for the sr5's.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Would you be able to get the body harness from whatever truck has the "multi mode" and put that in your truck. Wouldnt that simplify the wiring issues?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:53 PM

I was looking through my Haynes Repair Manual and they have exploded diagrams of both the R100 (part time) and VF3AM (full time) and visually they look very much identical except the VF3AM has an extra cross member, a dynamic damper, two 4WD position switches (for 4HI open and 4HI locked), and a center diff lock indicator switch connector.

So from what I see, I THINK what might be needed for the swap are the VF3AM transfer case, multi-mode 4WD ECU, multi-mode 4WD wiring harness, the No. 4 cross member, 99-00 gauges, and transfer case shift assembly. From the pictures, you can clearly tell the transfer cases are different in length only slightly, but not size, but the driveshafts both front and rear look to be the same for both models. If anyone else has any comments, please feel free to post.

Last edited by 4RUNN!N; 01-29-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:15 PM

I just found this thread. I have investigated doing this and thought I would add my two cents. According to the fiche parts catalog all the xf cases used in the 3rd gen 4r are the same case. The only difference is the internal components. There are three basic models. One, for models without ADD, one for models with ADD and the one with the internal differential. The shifting lever is the same between the latter two and the electric motor is, like on the rear, used to open and close the diff. The chain, flanges and most of the internal parts are the same. So form what I can tell the multi mode xf should bolt right in. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to wire up a switch and some lights in the dash. The 4x computer will restrict when you can close the diff. Again just my two cents so take what you will.

Last edited by nfenwick; 02-22-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

multi-mose case is longer from what i gather - they're non-crawler friendly where all the other XF cases are...
Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM

Hey, did y'all have any success with this swap? I'm considering it right now, but I'd like my ducks in a row before I start taking things apart.

STICK
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 AM

I have a VF3AM transfer case on my garage floor, what would you like to know?

Unfortunately, the truck I was going to put it into was wrecked just recently.

Also, I have all the parts for a manual transmission swap.

Further to interest anyone, the transfer case does indeed bolt to the manual without any issues. I'm confident that the engagement between the trans output and tcase input is as intended... it's been a while since I had them bolted together though.

I have all the OEM wiring harnesses and ECU's related to the project. It can be done, but I had lost interest in doing the wiring myself; Dr. Tweak at Pheonix tuning was certain it could be done easily though.

As far as I can tell, the driveshafts would need to be custom length and the trans/tcase support would probably need modified.

If anyone is interested in all the parts I have, PM me over at http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ same user name.

I bought an '05 Limited V8, so it'd be nice if someone would take these parts and document the swap.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 AM

Maybe...

Keros,

The ECM that came with the manual trans is not looking for any kind of signal from the VF3AM t-case, so the truck should not even know it is there.

I know I have seen tutorials for adding an e-locker to a non e-locker axle that do not involve a computer and I think the e-locker only needs an electric signal to actuate.

So if the actuator for the t-case is the same as the actuator for the e-locker we should be in business starting with a manual truck and swapping in the full time 4WD t-case.

That is unless the t-case uses different actuator electronics or if the t-case needs some other info. Could the truck computer thinking it is in real 4WD when really it is in AWD confuse the TRAC/VSC? But then again I don't think TRAC/VSC were ever available with the manual transmissions, at least not on 3rd gen 4runners.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater
Keros,

The ECM that came with the manual trans is not looking for any kind of signal from the VF3AM t-case, so the truck should not even know it is there.

I know I have seen tutorials for adding an e-locker to a non e-locker axle that do not involve a computer and I think the e-locker only needs an electric signal to actuate.

So if the actuator for the t-case is the same as the actuator for the e-locker we should be in business starting with a manual truck and swapping in the full time 4WD t-case.

That is unless the t-case uses different actuator electronics or if the t-case needs some other info. Could the truck computer thinking it is in real 4WD when really it is in AWD confuse the TRAC/VSC? But then again I don't think TRAC/VSC were ever available with the manual transmissions, at least not on 3rd gen 4runners.
4Runner 5-speed ended in 2000. TRAC/VSC started in 2001. So yes, they were never together from the factory on 4Runners.

Last edited by TheDurk; 04-03-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Maybe...

Link to actuator wiring info. No computer data connection required, only several signal wires and grounds.

http://http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota...ectric_locker/
Old 12-10-2021, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Keros
I have a VF3AM transfer case on my garage floor, what would you like to know?
Resurrecting This long-forgotten Thread as my first post to the Forum. Hello everybody. Quick question, has anybody actually done this yet? I'm looking at putting a 2000 VF3AM from a Limited in my '97 SR5 with an A340F. The 97 has the factory e-locker but I dont know if the donor had an e-locker.

With the donor t-case ECU and harness, is this basically plug and play? Instead if swapping instrument cluster I'm just going to wire a simple LED to indicate when the actuator is engaged. I assumed since the switch for the actuator is in the shifter it's basically a simple matter of ensuring that switch has power. But Lord knows I've been wrong many times before.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:18 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
They pretty much sum it up above, I think you will need the ABS module, 4wd module, cluster and the complete wire harness, the cluster is digital so that is going to be hard to work out the PRNDL and odometer and you will want to know when AWD & 4H are working properly as displayed in the cluster, I guess you could use 2 LED’s to indicate these positions. I think the elocker could be hacked into the new abs and maybe the old abs could be hacked into the new 4wd module, and you should be able to depin the ECU to accept the new abs inputs, that I’m unsure of, the multi mode uses the ABS for safe AWD shifting reading the speed sensors to insure the tires are all spinning at the same speed in order for it all to work as well as the cluster to satisfy the multimode logic. And you will need the drive shaft, sounds like a bit of work, be easy to go from multimode to standard J shifter, that’s been done lots.

Last edited by Malcolm99; 12-10-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolm99
They pretty much sum it up above, I think you will need the ABS module, 4wd module, cluster and the complete wire harness, the cluster is digital so that is going to be hard to work....
I think I would bypass the cluster entirely. Indicator lights could be an LED. Of course my 97 has an electro-mechanical odometer and the gear settings are displayed in the shifter, not in the cluster.

the rear e-locker could be made entirely independent of the rest of the system. I know when I put an e Locker in my second gen 4Runner, it was a standalone circuit. Of course it didn't have the safety feature preventing engagement in 2/4 hi but as I'm the only driver that doesn't concern me.

I never thought about the ABS element. I'm not entirely sure how that plays into all of this. Can anyone expand on that?
Old 12-10-2021, 03:58 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
The Multimode AWD portion(CDL unlocked) uses the speed sensors(ABS module) to insure the tires are all spinning at the same speed before it shifts to AWD. So without that wired you won’t be able to use the AWD portion of the multimode system your trying to install, as it needs to see all the wheel speed sensors operating at the same wavelength at the multi mode 4WD module. Now maybe you could feed it with a 5v reference and it not know your moving?, I’m unsure, you would think there would be someone who has tried this by now if it was straight forward. I didn’t know this was a thing either until I had to limp outta the bush with an undersized spare tire, the only way it would shift to AWD,..or maybe it was only 4x4, was by shutting the vehicle off, starting it up and engaging it while parked.

For your addon rear diff lock you could send the speed signal from the dash or ABS to the rear diff lock module so it won’t engage above 5mph as designed.

I realize I’m using AWD and 4x4 descriptions to describe this, hopefully nobody jumps on me for that, I should be calling it part-time 4WD, H4Locked and L4Locked.

Last edited by Malcolm99; 12-10-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolm99
The Multimode AWD portion(CDL unlocked) uses the speed sensors(ABS module) to insure the tires are all spinning at the same speed before it shifts to AWD. So without that wired you won’t be able to use the AWD portion of....
that's good info. Now my next question is has anyone actually done this and confirmed the 97 speed sensors are compatible? I ask because as I understand it multimode was available in other markets prior 1999, so one would assume that the same speed sensors and four wheel drive module were in play throughout the production run.

Last edited by Theironyuppy; 12-10-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 99-00 Transfer Case swap onto 96-98