Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel line bracket/flange repair (top of tank)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel line bracket/flange repair (top of tank)

Hello all, I have decided since you guys help me out so much I'm going to do a write up/document my process of replacing my rusted out fuel lines coming out of the fuel tank. On an 86 toyota pickup (carb) .. Since I've had a hard time finding a good write up with pictures..

This is what I'm talking about..

I started by removing the rubber fuel lines.. And then I removed the 12mm bolt holding the lines to tank. Then i removed the Phillips head screws holding the flange to the tank.. Mine were rusted something terrible so I used a set of vice grips..

Pulled it out and it looked like this.

Ignore the jb Weld.. I thought for a second I was going to "fix it" like that.. But after sleeping on it I decided against it.. I then made a trip to town..

I got some new machine screws at Lowes m4 x.70 10 seemed to be the right size.. I got some lock washers.. And a couple brazing rods.. (as of now this is how I plan to connect my new lines to the flange) I bought 6ft or 1/4 steel line.. Some 1/4 fuel. Hose and some other random stuff that I may or may not use.

Then I started by taking plenty of pictures.. And even drawing a few pictures... And labeling all the lines and hoses.. You can not over do this part.. I even made an orientation mark on the top of the flange with a file.

Then i took my cutting wheel and went to town.. (one again I labeled the top and bottom half of each line so I could put them back together to use them to make my new lines.)

Once I got all the lines cut off, I grinded the face of the flange until it was flat. At that point the bottom half of the tube will pull right out.

At this point I started bending tube.. It took me awhile to figure out how to bend the sharp 90 degrees I needed without kinking.. But I finally got it after wasting about half my piece of line.. I just kept holding up the piece I'd cut off and bending my new tubing untill I got it close..

That's as far as I got tonight, as tomorrow I will have to pick up some more line.. I will continue this post as time allows me to work on it..

Last edited by Branden Lawson; 02-05-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 PM

So I worked on it tonight and bent the rest of my lines... I then went to my father in laws shop.. He has done autobody his whole life.. I asked him how best to attached the lines to the flange.. We tried mig welding at first.. But it caused the lines to crack..

So I came home went back out to the shop and bent another line since we messed the one up trying to Weld it.. I then went back to the in laws and used his torch to braze the lines like I originally planned..

It's not pretty.. But they are very solid and I hooked a vacuum tested to each line and pulled a vacuum by plugging the back side.. Each line held a vacuum..

I plan on still roughing up my braze and putting a small amount of jb Weld just to make sure no gas sloshes (if that's a word) around and makes its way out of any of the small pin holes I have in my braze.. I could have probably flowed the braze better.. But I was trying to spare to lines from as much heat as I could..

But that's as far as I got tonight.. Hopefully tommorrow I'll get it mounted back on the tank and start it up and check for leaks.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Nice work; I'm impressed.

You DO want that flange to be vapor-tight. Primer/paint might be enough, but if you're not sure, a little epoxy (or JB-Weld) probably won't hurt.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Nice work; I'm impressed.

You DO want that flange to be vapor-tight. Primer/paint might be enough, but if you're not sure, a little epoxy (or JB-Weld) probably won't hurt.
Thanks, yeah my plan is to go around each line with a little jb and then paint the whole base with a few thick coats of paint.. It's all kind of a by the seat of my pants type thing...because I couldn't really find a ton of good information about it.. And when I called Toyota they told me the assembly had been discontinued.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:19 PM

Sorry it's been a few days, I've had a head cold.. Then the stomach bug.. But I got after it early this morning...

Mounted it back on and put a little jb around my brazing joints... Really just for the heck of it.. I don't think it was necessary.. Gave everything awhile to dry (which gave me time to redo my wiring and get it wrapped up and mounted nice..) I then started it up and let it run for about 30 minutes... No leaks.. So then I put everything back together..

It's a nice sight... It's been five weeks of working evenings and weekends on frame rail repair, new brake lines, new wiring.. And so on... So to say and glad it's over is an understatement.
​​​​