Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel line from fuel pump in tank?

Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel line from fuel pump in tank?

Ladies and Gents,
i was wondering if I can use a heavy duty rubber fuel line to attach to the metal line from the fuel pump in the fuel tank in my 89 pickup . It looks like the previous line was mended at one point and as I'm replacing the fuel pump the origanal fuel line is discontinued . I have bought two 5-16 unions and hard line but man it's tough to get the two to mate up and there is not much flexibility in the line for obvious reasons. But want your advice I know there have been a few that have ran into this .
Old 09-26-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hookerpilot47
Ladies and Gents,
i was wondering if I can use a heavy duty rubber fuel line to attach to the metal line from the fuel pump in the fuel tank in my 89 pickup . It looks like the previous line was mended at one point and as I'm replacing the fuel pump the origanal fuel line is discontinued . I have bought two 5-16 unions and hard line but man it's tough to get the two to mate up and there is not much flexibility in the line for obvious reasons. But want your advice I know there have been a few that have ran into this .
EFI pressure is 55psi, so finding fuel line rated for that shouldn't be a problem. But mating to hard lines might be a different story.

I found Japanese metric to AN-6 adaptors and replaced all soft lines on from tank to fuel rail. Was a lot cheaper than Toyota lines. I used braided SS from Jegs.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:51 PM

Boom

Hey thank you very much I never thought of that ! Good point thanks brother .

Originally Posted by muddpigg
EFI pressure is 55psi, so finding fuel line rated for that shouldn't be a problem. But mating to hard lines might be a different story.

I found Japanese metric to AN-6 adaptors and replaced all soft lines on from tank to fuel rail. Was a lot cheaper than Toyota lines. I used braided SS from Jegs.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The Toyota fuel line is metric and I believe it's 8mm od, which is .3149", just .0025" larger than 5/16"(.3125"). That's probably enough of a difference to make it incompatible with 5/16 compression fittings. However, you can use 5/16" id fuel hose to join two sections of Toyota's hard line. Just be sure to use hose clamps designed for fuel lines. Most auto parts stores have everything you need.

The last 12 inches of the hard fuel line on my truck, Where it connects to the fuel pump bracket, is rusted out. The rest of the line going forward to the filter and then on to fuel rail is in fine condition. I was also looking into the metric/AN fittings and braided lines from suppliers like Jegs to give me back that last foot. It looks like a good solution.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 09-26-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:21 AM

Thanks gents I will test it out today If all goes well
Old 09-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
It’s been well over a year since I did the fuel lines plus i’m deployed and didn’t bring computer I did research for fittings on. This may be the site I found the metric to AN-6 adaptors with inverted flare https://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_v...dProduct=30271 please research thread counts to verify. There was other adaptors needed for AN-6 to fuel filter. I also removed fuel pressure dampener, it was eliminated on later model 22RE. I had to relocate fuel filter only because I got stra
ight AN-6 connectors.

Was gonna post pics but everything is on photobucket which won’t add.

Search this Thread