Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

free truck head gasket

Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
free truck head gasket

Hey all,
I'm doing a buddy a 'favor' by 'allowing' him to give me his truck!

Here is the scoop, its a 90? 4x4, 5 speed, single cab, 22r(e?) motor.
I just looked at it briefly so I'm not super positive on what it is. I'll have the title whenever I manage to go pick it up, and post some pics.

I know NOTHING about how it was driven or if it was taken care of
all I know is that it supposedly needs a head gasket.

I don't really like the idea of just doing the head gasket.

Would you
A: Just head gasket
B: rebuild the whole thing (its only $200ish for the rebuild kit?)

also, it has been sitting for a year or two, if relevant.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
At the very least you should pull apart the bottom end to inspect it. You should just plan on it anyways.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 PM

If its decent shape and you plan on keeping it for awhile I'd do a rebuild. Agree with vital22re just make sure everything is in decent shape
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what kind of rebuild kit does one get for $200.00

Before jumping into this project you gotta think how much is in the budget in real numbers.

I know I have had some that became a never ending money pit that I should have just said no and parted it out.

It was parked due to the head gasket failure having no idea just how hot it got if it was run till it seized .

One of those you never know what your gonna find till it is all apart .

Don`t forget the mouse nest in the intake manifold and the hornet nest in the exhaust system .

I hope this is a labor of love giving you something to keep busy.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 AM

I'd still replace the gasket, just in case...
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just what kind of rebuild kit does one get for $200.00
I'm guessing that's just the gasket set. While you can buy "just" a head gasket, you have to replace all the gaskets on the way in and way out.

Personally, I think that once you get the head off you should at least have a machine shop do a valve job. Unfortunately, they're not cheap (and Philbert determined he could buy a "new" engbldr head for only a little more).

And don't forget that you'll end up replacing a lot of stuff "on the way," like vacuum hoses, induction ducts, wiring, coolant hoses ...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 AM

Yeah $200 is more of a gasket kit. Unless you get the ebay special that included pistons, water pump, timing chain for that price.
There is a company called Titan Engines that has a full rebuild kit that includes an assembled head for $550. Not sure of the quality yet, but could be a possibility.
I know engbldr has a great reputation on here as well.

I would like to be cheap, and only 'fix whats broke' but my main concern at this point is if it was indeed a head gasket and it has been sitting for a while would be the bearings.
If chocolate milk has been resting down there could have oxidized a bit.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM

and honestly I would be stoked if the whole thing cost less than $1000. That isn't too big of a deal for a free car.
Especially when you compare it to my 2jz swap running total. Yikes!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Doing him a favor? I need friends like yours. I've been trying to talk my buddy into letting me haul off his lawn ornament (1985 Toyota with 3" lift and no motor but very little rust) for a year now
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by redbayredneck
Doing him a favor? I need friends like yours. I've been trying to talk my buddy into letting me haul off his lawn ornament (1985 Toyota with 3" lift and no motor but very little rust) for a year now
Hey, In my opinion all you need is a case of beer and good timing to get friends like mine!

Its more of a favor because his wife wants it gone, and this way he gets to vicariously live through my endeavors. He has about 6-7 corolla projects already.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM

wanted to post some photos, finally got it to the house. Looks like it might have tipped on its side, overall in good shape though. engine bay looks good. IT EVEN HAS THORLEY HEADERS!
fired right up! I can't believe it.
From the way it sounds and from research on here I think its probably one of those situations where the timing chain is fudging with stuff and causing the oil and water to mix.

Name:  IMG_1425_zps6a13794a.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  139.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1426_zps61268d74.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  117.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1424_zps17de19df.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  180.0 KB
Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Thats a smokin deal! I'm Jealous, I had to Trade my favorite rifle for my Truck with my friend. Good sign it fired right up. I did a rebuild on a 22r not too long ago, But when it came to the head, I just threw it on with the new gasket, no machine work. It was a gamble and it held up and ran just fine, but could have just as easily gone the other way. Aluminum flexes, Mby you could escape with just lapping the valves and fresh gaskets and get that timing checked.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by crazytexan
Thats a smokin deal! I'm Jealous, I had to Trade my favorite rifle for my Truck with my friend. Good sign it fired right up. I did a rebuild on a 22r not too long ago, But when it came to the head, I just threw it on with the new gasket, no machine work. It was a gamble and it held up and ran just fine, but could have just as easily gone the other way. Aluminum flexes, Mby you could escape with just lapping the valves and fresh gaskets and get that timing checked.
I haven't put a timing light on it yet, it idles a little high but I haven't let it run for more than 60 seconds at a time. At this point I want to pull the timing cover and then pressurize the radiator to see if that is where it is leaking from, hopefully that way I don't have to pull the head..

anyone know what year it is?
front end looks just like my 90 4runner. I haven't got the title yet so not positive. could probably run the vin...
Old 01-26-2014, 07:44 PM

little update. did a compression test, number 1 is down. as you can see from the pictures the timing chain looks new, I can look down inside and it looks like the guides are newer (and plastic). Is this how they are supposed to look?
I pressure tested it and didn't see any antifreeze like I've seen in some posts..
there does seem to be residue suggesting the head gasket is blown, but I was really hoping it was just the timing guides... look at the pictures and let me know what you all think.
how much play should I be able to get out of the chain? like if the tensioner down lower where I can't see is messed up...

Name:  IMG_1546.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  98.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1545.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  72.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1544.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  69.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1543.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  92.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1533.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  132.7 KB
Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 PM

anybody have input?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna say you've got a 92 or 93. Somebody has been in that motor for the head to be that clean. I didn't read all the posts on the page only a couple. If the head gasket is shot and you do have milk sitting in the oil pan and it's been sitting awhile. I would almost assure your gonna need to rebuild the whole motor. Nothing will eat up crank bearings faster then anifreeze.
Do you remember what the compression numbers were on 1,2,3,4?
Your timing chain looks perfectly fine, the chain tensioner is way down on your left side. If you take a flash light and follow the chain down inside the timing chain cover you'll be able to see a small shiny shaft coming out of the tensioner body. It's bolted directly to the front of the block. I love these old 22re and 22r. I ve fully rebuilt 1 22re in a 95 that I use to have that I put 70,000 miles on before selling and have had to do a couple head gaskets here and their on different ones.
Where are you at now with it?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the pictures of the head it doesn't look like the oil and water mixed. Usually the tops of the head bolts will be white and the oil in the head would be milky.

Are you sure the head gasket isn't leaking directly into the cylinder?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
From the pictures of the head it doesn't look like the oil and water mixed. Usually the tops of the head bolts will be white and the oil in the head would be milky.

Are you sure the head gasket isn't leaking directly into the cylinder?
yeah it wasn't as milky as I expected...

Originally Posted by 8784 runner
I'm gonna say you've got a 92 or 93. Somebody has been in that motor for the head to be that clean. I didn't read all the posts on the page only a couple. If the head gasket is shot and you do have milk sitting in the oil pan and it's been sitting awhile. I would almost assure your gonna need to rebuild the whole motor. Nothing will eat up crank bearings faster then anifreeze.
Do you remember what the compression numbers were on 1,2,3,4?
Your timing chain looks perfectly fine, the chain tensioner is way down on your left side. If you take a flash light and follow the chain down inside the timing chain cover you'll be able to see a small shiny shaft coming out of the tensioner body. It's bolted directly to the front of the block. I love these old 22re and 22r. I ve fully rebuilt 1 22re in a 95 that I use to have that I put 70,000 miles on before selling and have had to do a couple head gaskets here and their on different ones.
Where are you at now with it?

so here is the update. Someone did a timing chain kit on this... and did a TERRIBLE job. pretty sucky. Lots of missing parts. So i'm re-doing everything. cal was 60, 2,3,4 were all 160 or something like that.

finally got the front cover off to see that the aluminum fin that is closest to the bottom sproket is completely gone... time to pull the oil pan and find the pieces...

agh...oh checked the vin, guess its a 89.