Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re oil getting into intake after rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 22re oil getting into intake after rebuild?

I've got the engine back in my 4runner. Its got about 800 miles on it since I got it back together. Its smoking when its rev'd up... I've pulled the spark plugs and they are all evenly wet looking... Its got almost 175psi in each cylinder. timing is at 5*. Runs great, no oil in water or vice versa... At first I was just thinking its the chromoly rings taking a while to seat. But when I took off the air intake tube going to the throttle body there was oily slude inside of the T.B. which I cleaned very well... I replaced the PCV valve and made sure nothing was cloged up. But I think its sucking oil out the crank case into the intake from the pcv valve and thats what is making it smoke... Anyone else ever seen this? Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Couldn't it be because poor ring seal is allowing over-pressurization of the crankcase, i.e. blow-by?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Any fix for this? or just deal with it?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
check the power steering fluid. Sometimes the vacum solenoid on the pump leaks and the pwr str fluid gets sucked in through the vacum lines. It happened to me.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:19 PM

Hmm... Never heard that before. My power steering pump has always looked wet like its got fluid coming out of it from somewhere but the fluid level is never low??? I'll Take a look at it though.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:40 PM

Blow-by is a ring issue. I don't know that this is your problem, I'm just going by what you said and that you feel that it might take a long time for your new rings to seat. I think that a leak-down test is probably the way to determine whether or not you've got a problem with the rings. My guess is that the most important thing to look for when doing a leak-down test in this situation is that all cylinders are behaving about the same.

I am lucky in that I have no personal experience with a newly built engine smoking. It doesn't seem to me that after 800 miles it should be, but that's just a feeling.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:14 PM

Has anyone ever tried to use a different PCV valve or even used two of them in a row to try and stop this? Any luck?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you're getting oil at the throttle body, it's not getting sucked through the PCV valve... the PCV valve is towards the rear of the valve cover and vents into the intake plenum.
the oil must be coming up through the fresh air hose between the throttle body and valve cover... but that implies the PCV valve isn't venting properly.
... or the baffle on the underside of the valve cover isn't working as it should

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-18-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Question Oil into intake.

I had that problem whit my 22ret, the oil was comming from the weak turbo. (do you have one of the few?).
Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 AM

where did u buy rebuild kit???? That problem sounds familiar, Ill check some notes and get back to ya!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM

I had that problem whit my 22ret, the oil was comming from the weak turbo. (do you have one of the few?).

No, I wish...

where did u buy rebuild kit???? That problem sounds familiar, Ill check some notes and get back to ya!!!

Its pieced together. I've built a few of these and had alot of left over parts. What I didn't have I got from the local auto parts store.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM

What is the part number of the PCV valve you replaced? There was a technical bulletin about PCV valves on 22res:

September 1994
TB 1149
Revised PCV Valve on Toyota 2.4L Engines
To help improve the effectiveness of the positive crankcase ventilation(PCV) system on Toyota 2.4L engines, a revised assembly is now available. The assembly has been installed on all engines built after build number 1574042. There is both a PCV valve material and rubber hose assembly change, which provides longer life and better sealing.
On this engine, an improperly operating PCV system has been the single most common cause of oil consumption. Any design improvement in this system should ultimately reduce the number of possible oil consumption related complaints. The revised PCV valve is available under Part #12204-35040 and the new hose assembly is Part #12261-35011.
The AERA Technical Committee
Portions
Old 01-20-2009, 11:30 AM

That sounds about right. I'm going to check the part number tonight. I replaced the PCV valve with one from autozone so its possible its not the newer assembly. I'm betting the hose is probably original. Not sure why the hose would matter but its worth a shot.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Thumbs up

rebuild kit? never found it, took it to a turbo shop, and the guy said, there were so many cracks on the housing. there was no way to got it fix. my son found a rebuilded one on E-bay. kind of expensive part, but man it worths every single penny.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 PM

??

Did you try that out? I thought that I need to replace my engine but I now hope it has to do with using an autozone PCV valve. I use a lot of oil...
Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PCV valves are very particular and every engine has its own different one. If you just got any random PCV valve theres your issue. Get one for "your" motor. Try one from toyota. Compression is 175 on all cyl's? IF its not the PCV then either its blow by or the valve cover baffle is either gone or damaged.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 AM

I tried a few different pcv valves but none of them helped. My engine has good compression and runs great, it just smokes and burns oil. I drive it about 100-125 miles a day mostly interstate. If I only drive around town it uses little to no oil but on the interstate I have to put about a quart a week... sucks....
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok i want to know now the history of the engine. Is it rebuild by.... you? Or someone else. Is it brand new? What parts? Whos parts? How about your valve stem seals?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 AM

Yeah by me. I've built several 22r motors, this is the second one I have had do this with chromoly rings. Between my friends and the 4 toyota's I have had with the 22r motor I think I've rebuilt 6 total... I used chromoly rings in the first one of mine and this one. I used cast rings in the rest. the cast rings have always seated well. I use engine tech "I think" parts I get from a local engine rebuild shop. They also so any machine work I need to get done. Both motors that had the issue with the chromoly rings had blow by, they both had great compression but the oil rings just never seated. Yes, they were installed properly... Basically when the engine is rev'd up little dots of black oil spit out of the exhaust on the ground.

I just take this as a loss and put a quart of oil in it every other fill up which is about 450-500 miles. I use the cheap stuff so I just pretend it takes an extra half gallon of fuel... cost wise... Its really not too bad.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well i have a 94 toyota... that i bought a brand new shinny in a box engine from japan moters... and mines doing the same kinda thing.. but when im driven mostly up hills on dirt roads. (i think its cause the engine is working harder on the soft roads) The truck will start smoking like a frait train. ( or if u ever seen a nascar car blow up) but it smokes for like 30 sec's then it clears up... beteen my self and a couple close friends weve had probably 50 toyota 22r pick up... and NEVER seen one do this.. and i also took out all the plugs thinking it was a ring problem... but if it was it would have to be the back 2 cylinders cause the plugs were both oiley... so im thinking it maybe the PVC problem.. as it dumps into the intake between the 2 cylinders.. but i to bought a advance PVC and its probably no better also. what would be causen excess pressure in the case?

Quick Reply: 22re oil getting into intake after rebuild?