86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Yota, Strange 4wd issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Yota, Strange 4wd issue

I finally have gotten my first yota, I've always wanted one and finally was able to find a decent deal on a decent one that suites my needs. It will see snowy days and hot summers and hopefully be a hearse for many game I plan to get over the years.
Anyways if this has already been posted somewhere or gone over then please direct me to the proper forum but as I have researched I could not find my particular problem-

The car will drive in 4wd no problem, shift and accelerate, when I put it into 2h, the car does not move, and when I push down on the accelerator, it just revs and you can hear a whining noise from the front end (It sounds like the diff, maybe one of the gears isnt engaging) The brake light is on, and check engine light. The code that came up was code 42 for the speed sensor. The speedometer seems to be functioning correctly. Could it be a sensor not disengaging the 4w? I don't suspect it to be a tranny issue since it drives and shifts fine while in 4w. (luckily if it is, It came with a spare tranny and t case)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What year ??

Just what are we working with Manual Auto ??

Engine ?

I think you might have your transfer case in neutral .

How did you get it home??

How was your test drive prior to reaching for the check book

Last edited by wyoming9; 06-26-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:41 PM

It's a 91, auto with the v6
he wasn't too far away from my house and had a buddy tow it over.
Drove it around the block, didn't over heat or have any glaring issues and the price was right considering the condition of the body, and all the parts, I can easily make my money back parting it out.
Anyways, you think my t case is in neutral? Is this due to one of the solenoids not engaging properly? Anything I should check to elimate the possibility of the t case being stuck in neutral
Old 06-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The type of transmission you have is written on the door pillar. If you have the A340H, there is no "neutral" position for the transfer case (though the transfer case could certainly malfunction, so that your driving around is just on the front driven wheels). Code 42 (you've got to read the whole description!) is "SPD signal is not input to the ECM for at least 8 seconds during high load driving with engine speed between 2,750 rpm and 4,000 rpm." So revving the engine with the transmission or transfer case disengaged would probably throw that code.

At a minimum, assuming you have an A340_, you should check for TRANSMISSION codes. http://web.archive.org/web/201408161...31diagnosi.pdf
Old 06-26-2018, 03:39 PM

I have the a340h, I ran the transmission test as per the instructions via your link. It came up with the same code.... 42
when I put it into h2, rev up the engine say 2.5-3.5k rpms theres a loud moaning/whining from one of the front drivetrain compontents. I'm beggening to suspect one of the solenoids is locked.

*edit* since I had the spare tranny sitting around I decided to swap out the solenoids to see if that made any difference - it did not.
I finally was able to get a second person to help me, and had them accelerate while in 2h. The mysterious clunking is coming from the passenger side rear, axle. It gets louder the more you try and accelerate. So I think the problem lies within the rear end, not the front end or the tranny. I'm thinking it is the axle shaft or another component in the rear drivetrain. I will be getting it jacked up tomorrow and inspecting it thoroughly.

Last edited by thenumber88; 06-26-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Broken axle if your lucky
Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
You might try to do a little more problem isolation. If you can, put the vehicle on a lift with all 4 wheels off the ground. Have a helper start the engine and slowly run the vehicle in 2wd and 4wd. Observe the front and rear driveshafts when in 2wd (rear only should be turning, along with rear wheels) and when in 4wd (both should be turning along with all 4 wheels).
Old 06-28-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR
You might try to do a little more problem isolation. If you can, put the vehicle on a lift with all 4 wheels off the ground. Have a helper start the engine and slowly run the vehicle in 2wd and 4wd. Observe the front and rear driveshafts when in 2wd (rear only should be turning, along with rear wheels) and when in 4wd (both should be turning along with all 4 wheels).
Simple, basic, free. This^^^