86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First post - major questions already!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post - major questions already!

Hey everyone. New to the forum and first post.

After looking at a lot of trucks I finally found what I thought was a great condition truck, which I bought. Its a 92 xcab, v6, 4x4.

I took it to my mechanic for the safety, which it passed fine. However, he told me that the head gasket it gone. I called Toyota regarding the recall and it was done on this truck back in 97 so no luck there.

My mechanic suggested another alternative would be to pick up a used motor, either from a wreck or rusted out truck or a jdm import. I told him I'd look into it and let him know what to do on monday.

Just wanted to get some feedback and opinions from people with much more knowledge and experience with these trucks than myself.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you replace an entire motor if the head gasket was bad? Unless you were going to do a 22re swap.

Head gasket job is not super difficult, the expensive piece is going to be getting the head re-decked (if needed) and any machine work to the head and assembly if you are not prepared or comfortable to do that yourself.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, simply do the HG and have the head/valves/seats etc. checked by a machine shop while you have the heads off.
If you're considering the JDM import, be aware that the EPA is really starting to crack down on illegal engine swaps, especially the imported engines.

Fred
Old 08-15-2008, 07:19 AM

How mechanically inclined are you? Sounds like a good candidate for a 3.4 swap.

Did your mechanic give you any idea of how bad the head gasket failure is? If the previous owner ignored the issue and drove it for a while, you could have some bottom end damage that would require quite a bit more work than replacing the hg.
Also, anytime you pull the heads (especially if it's the first time and there are a lot of miles on the engine) it's in your best interest to have them surfaced and pressure checked.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the H/G done with toyota gaskets. At the same time get the heads pressure tested, surfaced and do a valve grind. 3.0's are notorious for burning exhaust valves. Have the seats ground, intake vlaves surfaced, and REPLACE the exhaust valves with new toyota valves. You cant surface the exhaust valves because that only makes them thinner and quickens the burning problem. A typical valve/h/g job done right, will run you about $2600. I have done a ton for friends and relatives and they usually spend about $1600 with me. Its not cheap but its worth doing right. You are wasting money if you try to change motors. Unless of course you are swapping in a s/c 3.4!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Use cuation on how much you dump into a used motor you don't know alot about. It could turn into the proverbial money pit and still leave with more than a broken truck. Just my 0.02
Old 08-16-2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
Why would you replace an entire motor if the head gasket was bad? Unless you were going to do a 22re swap.
His thought was you might be able to get a fresh motor in there for a similar cost. I've been looking at some local jdm suppliers and they are around $1500 for the 3VZE.

Why the 22re? Did a quick google on it and I don't see the point of going to a 4. Pls explain...

Did your mechanic give you any idea of how bad the head gasket failure is? If the previous owner ignored the issue and drove it for a while, you could have some bottom end damage that would require quite a bit more work than replacing the hg.
Also, anytime you pull the heads (especially if it's the first time and there are a lot of miles on the engine) it's in your best interest to have them surfaced and pressure checked.
I wouldn't be doing the work myself, which 3.4 fits?

He didn't tell me how bad it was, no. If we go ahead with the job, he was planning on a pressure test and sending them out for machining. The truck has 323,000 km and I can only assume original motor but who knows.

Use cuation on how much you dump into a used motor you don't know alot about. It could turn into the proverbial money pit and still leave with more than a broken truck. Just my 0.02
That was the thinking behind getting a jdm but I think that doing the hg is the way to go. I just need this thing to be reliable for me as I'll be driving it through a Canadian winter.

Thanks for all your feedback.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 AM

The 22re is a way better engine then the 3VZ. It does not have as much power (close though) but better fuel economy and more reliable. Also you can rebuild the entire engine for under a grand. I will not buy trucks with the 3slow in them.

Remember that it is a Toyota and is still a good engine. I would not hesitate on doing the HG. The rest of the engine is fine at only 327k. Do the HG and timing belt and you should be good.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:48 AM

if it was mine id try my hardest to find a 3.4(5vz-fe) to put in it. More power, fuel economy, and reliability.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kampgnar

This is very sound, IMO. A failed HG and consequently coolant in the crankcase will damage bearings and the crank rather easily.

If you are going to rebuild the motor, check the entire thing. Otherwise, you "could" wind up in tears shortly after only doing the topend. That is if you want it to be reliable and not a gamble.

As well, if you find the motor needing an entire rebuild, getting a replacement may be a better option. 22re or 3.4.....much more reliable. I say that because enough people have had problems with used 3.0's or rebuilding them. That being said, so far I have not. So, it's up to you. Just something to consider.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 AM

If he swaps another engine in there, what happens with the transmission? Does he have to change that, too? What about everything else in there? When you swap the engine, there are other things to consider, too.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 AM

Most everyone knows that, but in many cases adapters are made to eliminate the issue. 3.4's a direct both, though. They use the same trannys.

BTW, the 3rz is an option, too. Again, adapters are made.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:21 AM

Sounds like the 5VZ-FE would be the easier swap with better power/reliability/fuel economy.

What would be a price range for such a motor?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:08 AM

There's a section for the 3.4 swap that should give you some average prices for a motor and the swap itself.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f159/

Last edited by thook; 08-16-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/37

The 3.4 is mechanically more or less a bolt in replacement, since it uses the same style block as the 3.0. There are some minor mods needed, plus the wiring harness, but most of it can be done quite easily.

I have seen complete 3.4s go for as little as $650 to as much as $3000. It all depends on how patient you are. I got mine, which included the A/C compressor, power steering pump, alternator, fan, flywheel and computer for $2000. Figure I put another $1500 into it, sold my old 3.0 for $300 (could have gotten more, but was impatient to get it out of my brother's garage).

All in all, it's a better motor. More power and better fuel economy than the 3.0 and probably similar to the 22RE without the pain in the butt mods that a 4 cylinder would require.

Or take a loss, sell the truck, and go for something newer.

In for a penny, in for a pound is how I look at it.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RobD
In for a penny, in for a pound is how I look at it.
sounds like marriage.

otherwise, very true.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:32 PM

Don't let all the options scare you either. I just went through the torture you are going through now. You will hear bad things with every option you can choose as well. Other than the head gasket being blown, is there anything else happening with the engine? Does it have a knock to it? If so, you're probably looking at machining the crank, and replacing bearings (at a minimum). Where I live, reusable 3VZEs are scarce. Weigh all the options carefully.