Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Finally rid of stupid key buzzer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally rid of stupid key buzzer!!!

I got sick of not being able to sit with my door open and the key in the ign without hearing that annoying sound. I couldn't find any post that told where it was on a 2nd gen so I did some exploring. I located mine on the back of the fuse box in the driver's kick panel. You will have to pull the fuse box or do like me and remove the lower bolt and bend it up as far as possible without breaking it. i could figure how to get the whole thing out without dissconnecting a hundred plugs. Anyhow, it's on the back side plugged into the main fuse box. Unplug it and open it up.
Inside there is a cicuit board with a speaker box lookin thing on it. This is the culprit. i just desoldered mine and put everything back together. The key in the ign/ door no locky safety feature stil works. Now I don't have to hear the annoying sound anymore. That's it.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:47 AM

I wish there was one for having the headlights on when the car is off.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

nice work on the buzzer! and lucky for us with the newwer trucks, our headlights shut off when we open our drivers door if the truck is off.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 AM

right now the headlight reminder really doesn't bother me but if it ever gets on my nerves then I will have to kill it.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
The buzzer in my 84 use to drive me nuts in the 80's and most of the 90's. Now it takes me back to good times of the good ol days. Makes me smile every time I hear it.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:05 PM

mine drove me crazy enoght that i rammed a screw driver in there and wiggled it around til it stopped. That'll teach it to annoy me.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:35 PM

I would like a buzzer for my headlights, do the newer ones have that? My battery tends to run down when I leave my lights on :rolleyes:
I think a switch that turns the buzzers off and on would be nice, especially one that resets every time you open the door. THen you could have the ahndy reminder, and tell the car to shut up when you wanna sit with the door open , engine off and listen to the radio but not forget in the future.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trythis
I would like a buzzer for my headlights, do the newer ones have that? My battery tends to run down when I leave my lights on :rolleyes:
I think a switch that turns the buzzers off and on would be nice, especially one that resets every time you open the door. THen you could have the ahndy reminder, and tell the car to shut up when you wanna sit with the door open , engine off and listen to the radio but not forget in the future.

So you want the headlight warning buzzer? I believe it was an option in '89. I have it on my '88.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:18 AM

Good to know, I have left my battery to die too many times, I guess I am spoiled from my previous vehicle. maybe my PO ripped it out?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to know, I have left my battery to die too many times, I guess I am spoiled from my previous vehicle. maybe my PO ripped it out?

I don't know. I have the original window sticker for my vehicle and I'm pretty sure it was an option as part of a "power package". Its possible yours didn't come with it having the DLX package.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

If I turn the key to ON, after about 10 seconds, the buzzer quits, and I can listen to the stereo all I want. So I've opted to not mess with mine.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jovis
If I turn the key to ON, after about 10 seconds, the buzzer quits, and I can listen to the stereo all I want. So I've opted to not mess with mine.
I thought that wasn't good for the engine, to be on the "ON" position and not actually running, specially since your ECU is going to be trying to do its thing but the engine isn't running.

Like the OP though when I wanted to listen to tunes or whatever and have the door open I got tired of the buzzing noise, I solved it though. When I wanna work on my rig and need the drive side door open and I wanna listen to some tunes, I take a 10mm socket and ratchet and unscrew the switch right in front of the door, once its no longer grounded out it doesn't make any noise.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:28 PM

On my 1988 4 Runner, I just simply undid the 2"x3"x1"thick black buzzer box that was connected with QuickConnect type connection. No more sound with door open...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by singlo
On my 1988 4 Runner, I just simply undid the 2"x3"x1"thick black buzzer box that was connected with QuickConnect type connection. No more sound with door open...
I guess mine is different. I also had the option of disconnecting a wire behind the driver side kick panel but that would disable my lights. I like it much better this way.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

I think a switch that turns the buzzers off and on would be nice, especially one that resets every time you open the door.
look no further... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=door+buzzer

this isn't precisely what you're after, but close enough that i bet you could make something work.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuki
I take a 10mm socket and ratchet and unscrew the switch right in front of the door, once its no longer grounded out it doesn't make any noise.
ya just dont leaving it dangling there because you WILLL forget you took it out untill about 3 micro sec after you let go of closing the door and get to stand there and cringe as you listen to it crunch into tinny pieces.

ask me how i know!
Old 07-06-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuki
I thought that wasn't good for the engine, to be on the "ON" position and not actually running, specially since your ECU is going to be trying to do its thing but the engine isn't running.

Like the OP though when I wanted to listen to tunes or whatever and have the door open I got tired of the buzzing noise, I solved it though. When I wanna work on my rig and need the drive side door open and I wanna listen to some tunes, I take a 10mm socket and ratchet and unscrew the switch right in front of the door, once its no longer grounded out it doesn't make any noise.
What about leaving it "on" without the engine running, then burping the sound system which pulls the voltage from 12.9 down to 10.2? LOL That cant be too good for the ECU either...lol
Old 07-06-2006, 11:28 AM

Why not just force the button thingy to be down, or just pull it out or something? That way the buzer doesn't come on for the ignition and stuff, but it would still warn you about your lights. I guess the draw back would be that the lights don't come on any more when you open the door. I can live with that though, might even be able to rig something up for that.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

you can disconnect the switch, but as you said the lights won't come on. that's the prime reason i like the switch idea -- you disconnect it whenever you like, and retain the good things the switch does for you when you're not working on the truck or at a picnic for instance and want the doors open to hear your stereo better.