Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

In-fender snorkel

Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Nice BAF filter, swampthing... is that an AFE unit??
Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16

Thats what I'm thinking. A bit worried about dust as wheel obviously stirs up a lot of dust. Do you have this issue? Did you add a little vent so air could be sucked it from the wheel well like on the Tacoma?
That was what I was talking about if you were concerned about airflow burtman sells an Escalade style fender mesh vent thingy that could be made functional with a little metal work.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm...This is pretty interesting.

I wonder if you could use a small pipe if you had some kind of booster to force air down it.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Here is 4Crawler's in fender snorkel:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Snorkel.shtml

I can't figure out where it drew air in (where's the cowel?) in the last iteration.
Cowl:
"The portion of the body bounded by the front fenders, the base of the windshield, and the rear edge of the hood."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ition&ct=title

Basically the engine air comes from the same place as the cabin ventilation air does:

I found I got way too much dust and dirt in the air filter with the end of the snorkel above the tire, even with an intact plastic wheel well liner.

And as far as the intake being not a lot higher, that is true (it is 10" higher), but now I would have to have a wave of water roll up over the full length of the hood to fill the cowl with water. And also, moving the intake back (about 3-1/2') helps a lot as you most often hit water when dropping nose first down into a water crossing. Sitting level, the water may only be up to the bumper but drop the front end off the bank and you can stick the whole front end under water for a few seconds. The stock intake (22RE) is next to the headlight and it is easy to get water in there.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 10-08-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 AM

It was like that many many setups ago lol. That's a AFE 20-40044 filter (referenced off a wix 42790). Then I went with a afe torque tube instead of the stock box bendy tube. Now I have just have twins.

Last edited by SwampThing; 10-08-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Cowl:
"The portion of the body bounded by the front fenders, the base of the windshield, and the rear edge of the hood."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ition&ct=title

Basically the engine air comes from the same place as the cabin ventilation air does:

I found I got way too much dust and dirt in the air filter with the end of the snorkel above the tire, even with an intact plastic wheel well liner.

And as far as the intake being not a lot higher, that is true (it is 10" higher), but now I would have to have a wave of water roll up over the full length of the hood to fill the cowl with water. And also, moving the intake back (about 3-1/2') helps a lot as you most often hit water when dropping nose first down into a water crossing. Sitting level, the water may only be up to the bumper but drop the front end off the bank and you can stick the whole front end under water for a few seconds. The stock intake (22RE) is next to the headlight and it is easy to get water in there.
Any issues with water splashing over the hood and filling the cowl area? Is it drained well?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Any issues with water splashing over the hood and filling the cowl area? Is it drained well?
Haven't run into that problem yet, would take a really deep crossing to do that and then I would think other things would start getting wet. As noted on the web page, I did add drains under the air intake (circled in red in the above image) so that if any water does get in, it'll drain out before getting into the intake. I did hear of one guy who runs a similar setup but he sealed his intake passage up tight. One afternoon he was parked on a slight side hill when a brief downpour of rain hit. Enough rain fell to full up that downhill side of the cowl and when he tried to start the engine the water got sucked into it.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-08-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM

Haven't run into that problem yet, would take a really deep crossing to do that and then I would think other things would start getting wet. As noted on the web page, I did add drains under the air intake (circled in red in the above image) so that if any water does get in, it'll drain out before getting into the intake. I did hear of one guy who runs a similar setup but he sealed his intake passage up tight. One afternoon he was parked on a slight side hill when a brief downpour of rain hit. Enough rain fell to full up that downhill side of the cowl and when he tried to start the engine the water got sucked into it.
I doubt the that latter situation caused damage, would you concur?

I like this "cowl snorkel" it doesn't change the factory look, doesn't add aerodynamic drag, yet is almost as practically functionnal as a ARB Safari Snorkel (albeit perhaps not for dust)..

I wonder if the engine would start if there was snow piled up over the cowl? Curious.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

I think the guy had to pull the plugs and blow the water out of the cylinders after than rainstorm. Don't think there was any permanent damage, though.

Not sure if I have run into snow piled up on the cowl, but that is easily brushed away before starting the engine.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:40 AM

I think the guy had to pull the plugs and blow the water out of the cylinders after than rainstorm. Don't think there was any permanent damage, though.

Not sure if I have run into snow piled up on the cowl, but that is easily brushed away before starting the engine.
I wonder if its even possible to damage an engine at idle by hydrolocking it.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:51 AM

heres mine, planing on redoing it. but it goes into the cab behind the fuse panel. i'd like to raise it like 4crawlers
Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 PM

You've just made the only in cab vacuum cleaner. Brilliant.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM

well its behind the fuse panel, then behind the kick panel. with a atv prefilter. i'm not to worried about being a vacuum. anyways didnt 4crawler say "Basically the engine air comes from the same place as the cabin ventilation air does" whats differnt about mine?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Beaniam
If you don't mind the noise you could always run the intake up into the cab behind the dash. No water and no dust, but no benefits of "cold air" however minimal they may be
Originally Posted by SwampThing
X2, was just about to mention that myself.
I think that constant sucking noise would suck. I won't be doing that. This is a street queen most days and I commute 40mi/day now to school and back.

well if other people can think of it obviously i'm not the first one, like u stated before. and FYI.. i dont hear any intake sounds. unless i floor it. and its on my daily driver.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by akaphilly
well if other people can think of it obviously i'm not the first one, like u stated before. and FYI.. i dont hear any intake sounds. unless i floor it. and its on my daily driver.
When you break wind, does your engine power up?

I was just kidding about the vacuum cleaner, although I might be tempted, when bored, once in a while to deliberately drop McDonals wrappers on the floor when driving just to see if the intake would hoover them. I was picturing the intake coming out somewhere visible and accessible.

Last edited by Matt16; 12-08-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been thinking about running my intake into the cabin for a long time (can't run safari snorkel because of my Hanneman fenders), but I may have to reconsider and take a closer look at 4crawlers idea - but I think I might just leave the original cowl drains open (rust prevention)
Old 12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by corax
I've been thinking about running my intake into the cabin for a long time (can't run safari snorkel because of my Hanneman fenders), but I may have to reconsider and take a closer look at 4crawlers idea - but I think I might just leave the original cowl drains open (rust prevention)
My drains are still open, I just used a couple of small tubes in the larger hole and sealed up the rest. This was both to allow water to drain out and yet keep as much dust as possible out.