86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

In-fender snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In-fender snorkel

With snorkel-fever on yotatech, I was wondering if anyone has I know 4Crawler did this, but I'm interested if anyone else has done this. I want to keep my truck looking stock, while increasing the fording depth.

The FJ Cruiser has a neat design, where air is taken from the fender, which vented at the top of the wheel well. I wonder if a lot of mud and duck gets in there though.

FJ C intake:

Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it doesent seem like the intake is any higher in the wheel well than it is in the engine compartment, the point of a snorkel is to mount the air intake to a higher level. most comonly up to the roof, or some like the hummers have it a foot or so above the hood.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Assuming you have a precharger filter lining those slots, your still going to get mud or dirt caked inside and up under there. It might be a different story because it rains like 500 feet a day here and theres always mud, its alot drier in some places.

But basically giving it that port will do nothing, if not make it worse. The object of a snorkel is to get the intake up out of the water and spray, so you put it ontop of the truck. If your truck drowns, well then you drown too.

That intake looks lower if not the same height as stock.

Last edited by NwRunner; 10-07-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by NwRunner
If your truck drowns, well then you drown too.
Now thats hardcore love for yotas... lol...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Now if you are talking about inside the fender above the plastic liner then that would be slightly higher then the stock intake location just below the left headlight and would be somewhat protected from mud and debris. I used to off-road my 87 through some serious gumbo mud construction sites and never had an issue with mud getting up there. If you set the end of the intake pipe nearer to the upper door hinge area you'd be pretty well protected at the expense of increased cabin noise.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 PM

I should have explained better. The air is taken from the top of the fender. the fender merely has a vent that allows air to enter the fender some 27" off the ground. That way, the bow wave caused by the bumper doesn't go right into the stock intake location beneath the headlight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7LZ-jrPZCA&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Now if you are talking about inside the fender above the plastic liner then that would be slightly higher then the stock intake location just below the left headlight and would be somewhat protected from mud and debris. I used to off-road my 87 through some serious gumbo mud construction sites and never had an issue with mud getting up there. If you set the end of the intake pipe nearer to the upper door hinge area you'd be pretty well protected at the expense of increased cabin noise.
That's where I'm thinking for the actuall intake connected to the air box. I just wonder where I should put an opening so that air can enter the fender. I don't want the engine to really have to pull hard to pull in any air.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by NwRunner
Assuming you have a precharger filter lining those slots, your still going to get mud or dirt caked inside and up under there. It might be a different story because it rains like 500 feet a day here and theres always mud, its alot drier in some places.

But basically giving it that port will do nothing, if not make it worse. The object of a snorkel is to get the intake up out of the water and spray, so you put it ontop of the truck. If your truck drowns, well then you drown too.

That intake looks lower if not the same height as stock.
Thats the intake on an FJ, not his truck
Old 10-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Here is 4Crawler's in fender snorkel:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Snorkel.shtml

I can't figure out where it drew air in (where's the cowel?) in the last iteration.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do believe that is were most tacomas have there intake at way up in the fender it ends right bellow the fire wall.

at least that is how mine is and I have none of those vents inside the wheel well
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 AM

This is the Tacoma duct I installed in my 3.4 swap - https://www.yotatech.com/50890254-post101.html. Seems like it would be very easy to hook up a snorkel to it.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I lost my snorkel
Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by cadman
This is the Tacoma duct I installed in my 3.4 swap - https://www.yotatech.com/50890254-post101.html. Seems like it would be very easy to hook up a snorkel to it.

Thats what I'm thinking. A bit worried about dust as wheel obviously stirs up a lot of dust. Do you have this issue? Did you add a little vent so air could be sucked it from the wheel well like on the Tacoma?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 AM

If you don't mind the noise you could always run the intake up into the cab behind the dash. No water and no dust, but no benefits of "cold air" however minimal they may be

Last edited by Beaniam; 10-08-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16

Thats what I'm thinking. A bit worried about dust as wheel obviously stirs up a lot of dust. Do you have this issue? Did you add a little vent so air could be sucked it from the wheel well like on the Tacoma?
I'm setting up an appoinment with the smog referee to make my swap legal, so I don't have any off road miles yet. However, when I removed the wheel well liner and fender to mount the duct I found almost zero dust up there. My truck is an '89 and what you see in the picture is after 19 years of use, pretty clean.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Beaniam
If you don't mind the noise you could always run the intake up into the cab behind the dash. No water and no dust, but no benefits of "cold air" however minimal they may be
X2, was just about to mention that myself.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
X2, was just about to mention that myself.
I think that constant sucking noise would suck. I won't be doing that. This is a street queen most days and I commute 40mi/day now to school and back.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by cadman
I'm setting up an appoinment with the smog referee to make my swap legal, so I don't have any off road miles yet. However, when I removed the wheel well liner and fender to mount the duct I found almost zero dust up there. My truck is an '89 and what you see in the picture is after 19 years of use, pretty clean.
Yeah, but is those 19yrs, there was never a couple hundred litres of air a minute being sucked into the fender, now there is. Did you have to vent the fender to let air in?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm keeping that stock intake from my 3.4L which is like that. But i am going to have a snorkel from a Tacoma but not have it hooked up during the dry season or winter i guess you could say.

I do not believe Toyota would put the intake where it could suck in alot of dust and junk. Maybe do what Land Rover did on the LR3, make a whole in the fender, put a vent/filter and have the intake close to the whole.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
I think that constant sucking noise would suck.

Lol anyways, you can do what alot of us diesel folks do. Build a box. It aint even gotta be anything fancy either, just something to keep away most of the water and whatnot.

Then when funds allow you can get fancy and use aluminum, weather stripping, and some FIPG to give it a nice little seal. Something like this

Quick Reply: In-fender snorkel