Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Famous "high idle/surge" culprits!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Scratched this post.....I'll see ya tomorrow.

Last edited by thook; 04-19-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I mean no offense either. But, when I see someone with driveability problems, and also has something mechanically wrong, I do not advocate solving the trivial problem before solving the serious problem.
You may very well find a problem with whatever adjustment or carbon build-up somewhere. That does not however fix your (arguably more serious problem) within the mechanicals of your engine.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I was hoping to just leave the mechanics of the engine alone until I get a more suitable fix...I was really hoping to drive it the way it was for another 6-12 months then scrap the engine (since it's dog shIIt anyway!)
Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM

Well, if it's not doggy doo now, it will be in 6-12 months, then. I don't how "suitable fix" fits into that picture....

What I mean is, there's the possibility that with stopping where you're at now, the necessary repairs could be minimal and you could still have a great vehicle for quite a while to come...years, in fact. If it's a matter of simply not having the money, how is it that you could consider buying another complete motor? What is it that's preventing you from fixing what you have? Despite this problem, it is still....in essence...a good motor. A "good" motor is not determined by how well it's running. Rather, is it worth fixing. You don't have a blown crankcase, so I'm willing to bet yours is worth it.

Last edited by thook; 04-20-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Well, I honestly don't feel like screwing with it again. I took it apart once, and if I do it again I don't see myself putting it back together. I've got a working vehicle right now. I'm hoping to find a complete engine with all the sensors and stuff and simply bolt it in and plug it in. Why? Because I don't feel like screwing with the tps, since my intake is all f'd up at the head.

So, I should take my engine apart again to fix the piston?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM

I was planning on rebuilding it this summer anyway. I don't have time for it right now since I don't have a job nor the money to do so. But, if I took it apart to screw with that one piston isn't my piss poor surging idle STILL going to be present?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:12 AM

It's possible. But, it's also possible all that blow-by and consequent bird goop is a part of it all....if not all of it. When crap like gets in the intake.....considering part of that appears to be water/condensation....it's going to reflect on your idle by clogging things and entering the combustion chamber.

Speaking of blow-by, since you don't appear to have a headgasket problem, all I can figure is that blow-by is mixing with condensation from all tinkering/warm up and cool down stuff you're putting the motor through.

I completely understand your burn out on this motor and the situation. So, no judgement there. What I don't understand is how you think putting another motor is going to really solve your problem. Anyone who's ever bought a used motor or vehicles knows some tinkering will have to be done sooner or later. So, what are you going to do then when that time comes? Get another motor....again? Have you ever installed a motor before?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by thook
It's possible. But, it's also possible all that blow-by and consequent bird goop is a part of it all....if not all of it. When crap like gets in the intake.....considering part of that appears to be water/condensation....it's going to reflect on your idle by clogging things and entering the combustion chamber.

Speaking of blow-by, since you don't appear to have a headgasket problem, all I can figure is that blow-by is mixing with condensation from all tinkering/warm up and cool down stuff you're putting the motor through.

I completely understand your burn out on this motor and the situation. So, no judgement there. What I don't understand is how you think putting another motor is going to really solve your problem. Anyone who's ever bought a used motor or vehicles knows some tinkering will have to be done sooner or later. So, what are you going to do then when that time comes? Get another motor....again? Have you ever installed a motor before?
Well, putting in another engine from a good working truck will fix the compression issue. It will completely bypass my current issues. I would like to do it soon. No, I've never replaced a motor. I've taken transmissions/engines out of cars and some back in. I can do my own work. It's not very hard, other than figuring out this problems. I'm thinking about selling my dirt bike so I can fix my truck. I would love that. Or, I might just save.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM

Sorry for the crappy pics. I was busy today messing with my brothers $300 '86 Crx w/ clean title and it runs and drives...lol

Old 04-20-2008, 06:34 PM

Alright. My brothers Crx had that same surge. So, he took off the Fast idle Valve (extremely identical!!!) and turned that screw in. I tried to do it but it would not budge. I put it in 180-200 degree water for a couple minutes and there was no change. Cooled it off and no difference. Did it a couple more times and nothing. It was hot (I could hardly grab it longer than a couple seconds!)...so, I am thinking it is shot. What do you think?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:47 PM

If the valve did not move at all, I'd have to say so. Good work, man.

See if you can find a good used one in the marketplace. Maybe even just an entire throttle body....not that the rest of the assembly is bad, but I don't know if you can find just an air valve. You'll just have to see what's available and if a makes any difference one way or the other on your cost.

Last edited by thook; 04-20-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 PM

Thanks...yeah, it just stood there. Nothing changed or moved.

O.K, should we discuss my "other issues" or is this thread pretty much terminated?...lol
Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 PM

Terminated? Nope. Let's see what exciting things happen with a new valve, eh? Then, we'll go from there. What else are we going to do? Talk about tire size and gears? Or, maybe how you should just drop in a 3.4?.....
Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 PM

lol...I'm thinking of the same thing...like what if it does nothing. We could talk about anything...lol. As much as I would love to drop in a 3.4, I have heard there gas mileage is just horrible

Anything wrong with your truck?

I was actually thinking about either putting a locker in the rear and putting 14" super swamper on, and having fun. Or going a completely different route and lowering it, and putting 4wd front fenders on. Not sure, but it sounds kind of fun. I think the locker sounds better though...lol.

Anything you want to talk about? I'm out for the night, I'll talk to you tomorrow after school...or maybe before
Old 04-20-2008, 10:20 PM

Oh yeah, it's gunna be awhile before I get the valve. My brother borrowed the money I was going to buy a valve with today and bought an '86 CRX for $300...lol. I've got some pics and a video...it's actually pretty sweet!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 AM

I do have one last repair to make to mine, but there's nothing to talk about there, really. I just have to yank a broken bolt for the cold start injector out of the plenum....which entails removing the plenum, drilling and tapping, and installing an insert. So, nothing to figure out.....just have to do it. I'm taking a week off from vehicle work, though. I'm a bit burned out myself from just having rebuilt it. When you start breaking things is the time to step back for a bit and do something else....lol

What other issues are you having with your truck, anyway?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck with your repair. I will be in need of a new engine before long. While mine does not have the idle problems yours does, my compression is
161-166-60-154. It will also not idle cold, but thats a carb issue. Anyways good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Why a "new" motor? Those ratios are not too far off. Maybe you just need some new rings, a good honing, and bearings. Unless, you're just having other major problems???
Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by thook
I do have one last repair to make to mine, but there's nothing to talk about there, really. I just have to yank a broken bolt for the cold start injector out of the plenum....which entails removing the plenum, drilling and tapping, and installing an insert. So, nothing to figure out.....just have to do it. I'm taking a week off from vehicle work, though. I'm a bit burned out myself from just having rebuilt it. When you start breaking things is the time to step back for a bit and do something else....lol

What other issues are you having with your truck, anyway?
Hmm, other than the engine. Nothing Interior is very clean. Body is alright. No rust. Not much other than the engine. I did install a tach though, thats my second time...lol. I couldn't figure out the dimmer switch...apparently it works off of a ground. I wired it to the park light up front so its always bright no matter what.

Here's my compression:
#1 - 155
#2 - 150
#3 - 62
#4 - 150

Kind of crappy. But, I'm thinking of taking it apart soon and doing putting a master rebuild kit on...or I guess I could just do a re-ring kit. I would like to pull the motor either way...I think it would be easier...especially if it is 4wd because I could see getting the oil pan off and doing that work with the cross member in the way. Thats one reason why I didn't. I had the rings, hone, and gasket in my hand and the engine torn apart but I didn't take it apart any farther.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Hmmm, I might be taking it out and putting a re ring kit on it. I will also do a timing chain from engine builder.

Quick Reply: Famous "high idle/surge" culprits!