See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SqWADoosh
This thread is full of great information but also very flip floppy on what people are actually having done. Rad I'm very interested to see what you come with. I've got a very similar situation to what you have pictured above. However mine looks like it had the windshield replaced recently because the glue looks newer. My problem is that I'm missing the side chrome pieces and I just assume get rid of the chrome all together and get one of these rubber molding setups as well. I just wonder if I have to have the windshield pulled in order for that to happen or if I can simply have one installed with how it sits now.
Like he said above, Rad is going to remove all moulding and just fill the void with a uv stable sealant, not reinstalling any moulding. If you want to have the rubber moulding (not rubber seal) installed they will have to remove your windshield. The only way I can think to describe it is that the rubber moulding has a u shaped channel the goes on the windshield edge.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:47 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyX2
Like he said above, Rad is going to remove all moulding and just fill the void with a uv stable sealant, not reinstalling any moulding. If you want to have the rubber moulding (not rubber seal) installed they will have to remove your windshield. The only way I can think to describe it is that the rubber moulding has a u shaped channel the goes on the windshield edge.
Yes, Safelite mounding has U-shaped channel. Needs to be installed on edge of glass before glass is installed. My glass already cracked. Be careful when removing trim and digging out clips. If glass is still intact, I would simply fill existing void with silicone. If you could find a trim with T-shaped cross-section you could push vertical side of "T" into silicone before it hardens. That would make it a little prettier.

I updated my status and plan with more pics on my thread here.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 PM

I dealt with my windshield rust in the same manner as 4beater did in post #111 of this thread.

Gasket link: http://www.4x4world.com.au/shopping/...roduct_id=5996

Ill let the pictures do most of the talking.
Glass, adhesive and rusted sections removed:
Attached Thumbnails Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_2132-2-.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_2134-2-.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_2135-2-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 08:57 PM

Repair sections welded in, body filler & primer.
Attached Thumbnails Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_3088.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_3087.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_3086.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Rattle can paint job with OEM color coded paint mixed at a local auto body supplies warehouse ($23.10 a can). Rattle can clear coat (lacquer) has some tiger striping that I still need to wet sand and rub out.
Attached Thumbnails Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_3098.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_3099.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_3101.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Finished product. No leaks, the dash didn't have to be removed and all the trim fits like it should.

The gasket installs just like an old VW bug (search for video examples). Have one person on the outside and one on the inside, take your time & use plenty of soapy water. I also used the rope & soapy water to re-install the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_3255.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_3258.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by runner88
I dealt with my windshield rust in the same manner as 4beater did in post #111 of this thread.

Ill let the pictures do most of the talking.
Glass, adhesive and rusted sections removed:
Nice work. No pictures of the new metal prior to paint?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ToyX2
Nice work. No pictures of the new metal prior to paint?
No - I was in too much of a hurry to 'git 'er dun'!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 AM

great post....thanks
Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 AM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The gasket installs just like an old VW bug (search for video examples). Have one person on the outside and one on the inside, take your time & use plenty of soapy water. I also used the rope & soapy water to re-install the cowl.
Like this one?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 PM

And these as well:

Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 PM

The above installs are without glue/press-in. First-gen windshields are glued on. YOu mean there's an option for press-in meaning no glue and only the gasket takes care of water-proofing?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:33 AM
FGZ

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
The above installs are without glue/press-in. First-gen windshields are glued on. YOu mean there's an option for press-in meaning no glue and only the gasket takes care of water-proofing?
I'm slow, but I'm getting to the same question.

I think that's what he is saying, using the gasket he mentioned above:

Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yep.

After doing a bunch of online research - I concluded that South American & Australian models (Hilux & Surf) came with windshield gaskets. I didn't think Toyota would re-tool an entire body just for different windshield mounting. I'd be more 'cost effective' to use the same body and glass and just adapt a rubber gasket.

I bought the gasket from the link above, tested it on a old cracked windshield and it fit perfect on the glass. After scraping, grinding & cleaning off all the glue from the windshield frame (hardest part of the job), I then laid the cracked glass with rubber gasket into the window frame. It seemed like a match and as you can see from the permanent install - it works perfect.

Gasket test fit & pre-repair pics:
Attached Thumbnails Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_1070.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_1955.jpg   Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker-img_1957.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Yep.

After doing a bunch of online research - I concluded that South American & Australian models (Hilux & Surf) came with windshield gaskets....
Cool! Thanks for this info.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 AM
FGZ

I stopped by my local shop yesterday to check into options. He cannot do a gasket install where a glue was used, for the same structural reasons others have mentioned already. So I could venture into the gasket myself, but reusing 30 year old glass doesn't seem too smart and I would probably break it during removal anyway.

So we chatted about glue options. He showed me some universal trim that looks like it will nicely bridge the gap where the current chrome trim is. Windshield replacement is on the list, mainly to check on any rust down in there, so it won't happen immediately.
The following users liked this post:
Ruined Adventures (06-27-2019)
Old 06-21-2014, 03:19 PM

What Brand is OEM glass for windshield?

Hi guys,
I'm fixing rust spots on windshield mounting this weekend. Tech will come back to install new glass next week.
Would you know what is OEM brand for windshield glass? (i.e., for Honda's it is AP tech).
Could it be Asahi as shown in pic below?
Name:  003_zpsaf0812fb.jpg
Views: 4055
Size:  75.6 KB
TIA
Old 06-21-2014, 06:41 PM

I'm not sure what oem brand would be or if they would still be around. The replacement windshield on my 84 was some brand that I never heard of (benson) seems cheap. The oe windshield on my tacoma was united who is no longer around. It would be nice to know what some of the better quality brands are.

Last edited by ToyX2; 06-21-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 AM

Ive got a question for those of you who have successfully installed the gasket.

I bought a gasket from Australia, and tried to install my windshield with no luck, (ended up breaking the windshield)

I was able to get 3 sides in, and upon trying to get the last part in it broke.

So I ordered up a new windshield, and the guys came to install it today, and were unable to get it in. they had pretty much the same problem I did.

Did you have difficulty getting this thing in?

Im about ready to give up and go back to the crappy chrome trim.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 AM
FGZ

The Aussie trim or the chrome trim are not the only 2 options here. What my glass guy is going to do is reset the glass in glue, then use a universal rubber trim to bridge the gap and take the place of the chrome stuff. The universal stuff has a channel that the end of the windshield slides into, then it bridges the gap between glass and body.

Looks like this:

Oops, conflicting backgrounds... found on this page: http://www.dkhardware.com/product-17...l-molding.html

Quick Reply: Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker