See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanStew
4crawler yours is much wider than the others. Did you choose that width, or was that what the glass guy just decided to use?
Read the link he posted, it was all done from scratch.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumping this again, the universal in the picture stock87 posted looks freaking great, just concerned about chainlinks take on it. Anyone familiar with the profile of the stock moldings, would one of these jc whitney generic moldings be a good choice? JC Whitney moldings
Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DanStew
4crawler yours is much wider than the others. Did you choose that width, or was that what the glass guy just decided to use?
Yes. I chose the width on the outside trim to allow for full coverage of the gaps and to give me a place on the glass and windshield frame to glue the trim down. Since the gap between the glass and frame just has the soft butyl rubber caulking in it, I can't rely on that to hold the rubber trim down. Has held up fine for quite a few years now, although I did replace the strip of rubber across the top with some black silicone sealant formed to mimic the rubber trim piece.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by b.miller123
That looks really nice!

I think I might have to ask the glass shop if they can do that, as my windshield has a crack now, and a couple chips. They aren't in my line of sight, but they're there, and that's enough to bother me.

Chainlink - Do you think that a glass shop would warranty something like that? or is that out of the question because it's kind of custom work?

I was planning on replacing or painting all the chrome trim anyways. I am slowly going to get rid of all the chrome crap on my truck. It's just tacky, IMO grey and black looks much better than grey, black, and chrome.
What are we talking about....what needs a warranty? The new style molding?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
bumping this again, the universal in the picture stock87 posted looks freaking great, just concerned about chainlinks take on it. Anyone familiar with the profile of the stock moldings, would one of these jc whitney generic moldings be a good choice? JC Whitney moldings
I looked at those mouldings, but with out holding them I can't really give an informed opinion.

Flex trim can be made of many different materials....oddly only some are rubber but actually many more it seems are PVC (a kind of it). I would wanna know how rigid it is? Shiny or flat? Just a few examples. So personally I wouldnt go that way....go to a glass shop ask them to see some wide flexible trim...I am sure they will let you see it.

At our shop I use literaly dozens of different trims for applications. After seeing the work done on the white Yota up above I will certainly do my own this way. My Tacoma is going to be crused under recall so I quickly snapped up a 93 Toyota PU. I will be yanking the glass out of as soon as I get to it on my list of things to do....It has been changed before and I can already see they did a piss poor job. Luckily I have plans of doing a complete repaint. So I will pull crap glass then. Most of my Yotas have been white as well as the Taco and my new beast....seeing how the wide flexi looks I will without a doubt follow suit.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 PM

]
mine looks just like this
i just had my windshiled done...a tree fell on it...and i had the glass company put one of these on...yes the used ALOT of glue but it looks mint...
Old 04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hey chainlink, thanks a bunch. After pulling the trim on my 86 last night I'm pretty sure none of the ones jc whitney has will work. I'm going to do the same as the white one above.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
Hey chainlink, thanks a bunch. After pulling the trim on my 86 last night I'm pretty sure none of the ones jc whitney has will work. I'm going to do the same as the white one above.

I am sure you will be happy, although I cant place it in my head at the moment but arent the corners on the glass in the 86 era a little sharper? Not a problem but if the glass guy stutters or seems unsure find someone else.....there are ways to make it work....you just want someone who knows them(shortcuts). This is a common practice with other vehicles out there so no biggy, but when I originally posted on this matter over a year ago I did not have an older Yota at the time, so I couldnt be a test subject.....Knowing my own skill level and seeing someone else do it, I say go for it 100x
Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Chainlink
I am sure you will be happy, although I cant place it in my head at the moment but arent the corners on the glass in the 86 era a little sharper? Not a problem but if the glass guy stutters or seems unsure find someone else.....there are ways to make it work....you just want someone who knows them(shortcuts). This is a common practice with other vehicles out there so no biggy, but when I originally posted on this matter over a year ago I did not have an older Yota at the time, so I couldnt be a test subject.....Knowing my own skill level and seeing someone else do it, I say go for it 100x
It can't be worse than the mess i tore out, at least half of the metal was rusted, it leaks, top piece and one top corner were missing, gap filled in later with silicone...

Got it all grinded down, 2 coats of por-15 and the first coat of tan brightside, I think I'll be set. On the trim that was still there it really wasn't doing anything but covering the gap you spoke of in your first post. The real glue was just under the glass, with two spacers holding it up at the bottom (which i managed to salvage. Seemed like they did extra dollops of glue every foot or so to kinda keep it centered in the larger opening, with a gap all the way around.

I was a little worried about 'pucker' on the corners, but looking at the pics above it seems they managed to make it pucker into the windshield on the corners instead of up where it would be a water funnel. I guess we'll see how it goes in a few days. If it turns out that good I'll try to get some info about what specifically they used and post it here. Seems like a lot of us are in the same boat.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

On a funny note, when i pulled mine out I started using a piece if wire pushed thru, like i've seen done. Unfortunately it was not strong wire and when it snapped I punched myself in the face.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Those spacers are just to keep glass height+ keep glass edge from touching bare metal(stress point). Glass guy should have new ones in case you lose them. Did you take off the bottom trim???? Did you remove cowel in order to do it (should have, but since your going to toss it anyway). I ask just to avoid bending cowel at all.

I have punched myself a many times....cold knife blade breakage....better me than a scratch in customer car. Heck I,ve broke a finger, so many cuts only Nasa could compute it, and My first stiches just 2 weeks ago. Heck I may have needed them before but super glue is just that super.....although this last one was no way gonna stop gushing from a little superglue.

Now what I hate the most....I see them yet get bitten by them at least once a month......aftermarket roof racks(ie:yakima, thule, hang over) and trailer hitches....You take either one of those while in a hurry you will cuss a storm. I guess that would be funny to an observer because you can clearly see them...but when in the zone it happens.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Chainlink
Those spacers are just to keep glass height+ keep glass edge from touching bare metal(stress point). Glass guy should have new ones in case you lose them. Did you take off the bottom trim???? Did you remove cowel in order to do it (should have, but since your going to toss it anyway). I ask just to avoid bending cowel at all.

I have punched myself a many times....cold knife blade breakage....better me than a scratch in customer car. Heck I,ve broke a finger, so many cuts only Nasa could compute it, and My first stiches just 2 weeks ago. Heck I may have needed them before but super glue is just that super.....although this last one was no way gonna stop gushing from a little superglue.

Now what I hate the most....I see them yet get bitten by them at least once a month......aftermarket roof racks(ie:yakima, thule, hang over) and trailer hitches....You take either one of those while in a hurry you will cuss a storm. I guess that would be funny to an observer because you can clearly see them...but when in the zone it happens.
I did remove the cowl to take off the bottom trim, after a few minutes of staring and prodding at it. After removing a windshield just once I find it easy to believe you would get cut, bruised, damaged all the time doing this. And I have no idea at all how you could ever get the opening clean without scraping the heck out of the stock paint. I was going to have to paint maine even if it wasn't rusted after trying to get the old glue out. I still thought it was funny when I punched myself, probably because with the gloves it didn't really hurt.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:49 PM

found a pic of mine...
Name:  050108_12211.jpg
Views: 15799
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

So got mine done yesterday. The only downside I see to the universal molding is it doesn't completely cover the glue under the glass, like you can see in LTrunner's pic above. He said that over the course of several years the glue will eventually dry out and turn brittle. Still looks really good I think, I'm def. happy.

Also, got them to take $20 of the install since I'd already removed the old windshield and cleaned up the opening.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a local guy come to my house to do my car's windshield. GM Alero. He used a universal molding and it looks factory. Don't have a pic (try for one tonight) but if the installer is worth his salt it'll look just fine, and no more rust-maker.
The following users liked this post:
dbittle (03-24-2020)
Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM

hey guys i dont know if anyone has told ya this but 89 tp 95 toy p/u's came one of two ways either ruber or metal trim 4x2 came both ways amd the 4x4 came glue in with the metal trim you will need to find teh gasket style truck at any junk yard take the gasket and the glass because they are diferent size from the glue in hope this helps a little bit
Old 05-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
does anyone know where i can get the chrome molding and how much? i took mine to several places today and they all recomended i put the chrome back on because over time that universal stuff will start bucking up in the conners and will not look good after a while. one guy said he had saw some black chrome molding on one before, but i am not sure where i can get it. i have checked ebay and searched all over google and i cant find a place that sell it.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Toyota should carry it:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1
Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

the cheapest i've found the new OEM pieces for is like 70 each for top and bottom, 50 for each side, then 15 or so for each corner. Costs more than the windshield by the time you are done.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Holly crap!! this garbage is way higher than i ever would have thought, about 250 for all of it at http://www.toyotapartscheap.com/ not sure bout you guys but i can do alot more with 250 other than gay chrome trim around my windshield. i think i will try tomorrow for someone who can do a rubber one that will look as good as the white truck posted above.

Quick Reply: Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker