Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

disable drl on a 93 pickup

Old 02-02-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disable drl on a 93 pickup

i was wondering if anyone knows how to disable the drl in a 93 pickup. ive read the drl threads that talk about cutting that black and orange wire off the box in the area in front of the shifter for the 90-91 trucks. i was wondering if the wires are the same in my truck.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And the point of this would be?...

Also, isn't it illegal in Canada to not have DRLs on all the time?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
From the looks of your sig, you have a 92, typo much...? Well well well would ya looky here http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../4lighting.pdf ...P.S. If its illegal in your area, might be best to leave it be.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
its illegal to not have running lights in canada. Thats why all new cars for sale in canada or brought to the states from canada have the drl's. That and the speedo is labeled in km like in my honda. freaks my friends out all the time.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a test light and figure it out under the dash- thats about the only way to do it. If it is illegal to run w/o DTRLs in Canada, its not enforced. I turn them off when I'm waiting in the truck listening to the radio or camping and wanting to listen to the radio/ warm the truck up before bed.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 PM

wtf it said 93 in my sig last night lol. i just randomly cut the wire under the dash and now the drls dont work. yeah no drl is illegal but i kind of don't care. my last truck i had blacked out tails and headlights with no drls, straight pipes with no mud flaps and the tires sticked out past the fenders. i never got pulled over for anything, cops have seen the truck and didn't care. they started to put drl lights in cars starting in 90 i think.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:26 PM

why do you not want DRLs?
Do you think its trick? pimp? sick? ill?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:26 PM

one thing is that i don't like how the headlights are like 70 percent bright when the drl are on. i have heard that it kills the life of the headlight if you let it run 70 percent of its capacity. i'm also going to put blacked out tail light covers on the back (don't worry i take them off at night). plus if i do drifts and stuff in a dark parking lot i like to have my lights off (including licence plate light) so people cant report me. plus i like the look of having only the marker lights on
Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by gary96360
i was wondering if anyone knows how to disable the drl in a 93 pickup. ive read the drl threads that talk about cutting that black and orange wire off the box in the area in front of the shifter for the 90-91 trucks. i was wondering if the wires are the same in my truck.
Probably the same:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ghts.shtml#DRL

Check an FSM wiring diagram for your year truck to double check.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM

4crawler thanks for the link. i found the wire earlier today so its all good now
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
why do you not want DRLs?
Do you think its trick? pimp? sick? ill?
While I haven't disabled them per se, but I have an ON/OFF switch.

Its kind of useful to be able to turn the lights off. For instance, I have on-board air, which I use for tools. If I'm working at night, I don't want to be blinded every time i look at the truck.

As I said earlier, camping- other campers don't necessarily want light blazing through the campsite, yet if you're car camping, its nice to warm up the truck a bit before you go to sleep.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Oh I apologize...I was thinking the DRL were the side markers....
hm.....

So DRLs are just the headlights, but they come on all the time?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
IIRC, Drl use like 60% power then when you would actually turn them on normally, And I dont think it lights up the dash like when you turn the markers on...Someone with drls correct me if im worng...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 PM

when u turn the lever once it turns on the markers and the taillights. i dont see the point of having drl on vehicles, the headlights arent that bright and the dash doesnt light up. on my moms suzuki grand vitara the dash lights go on automatically when it gets dark, that is the system that i would want. sadly vehicles like an 02 ram pickup, u still have to flip the switch to get dash lights on
Old 02-04-2009, 02:58 PM

my jdm never got drl when it hit the coast.. i also have jdm headlights to blind all on coming drivers as i think they are angled for driving on the other side of the road

i just wanna leave the truck how it was in japan.. complete with road flare...

also i can have nop lights on at all while the truck is running!!!
real good if you chillin in the parking lot or something
Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 PM

so fender flares was an option in japan?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 PM

DRLs and Fog Lights

Not only do you have to run with two white lights turned on in Canada at all times, but here is another law in Canada limiting the number of white lights you're allowed to have on the front of your vehicle. I am under the impression, though haven't researched the code myself, that the maximum number of white lights on the front of your vehicle are 4 if all are factory installed, or 2 total if any of the lights are aftermarket. If I understand this right, this means new cars can run with their fog lights attached to the low beams (not their high beams), yet it is illegal to run aftermarket fog lights at the same time as your headlights on any public road. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

I can't quite understand having fogs on with your headlights anyway. Like Matt16, I'm interested in being able to switch my DRLs on and off so that when I'm driving over the very foggy or white-out mountain passes I can use my fog lights instead of my headlights, not in addition to. This is one of the main reasons to use fog lights, right, to reduce the glare back from your headlights during these conditions? A switch would satisfy the way I understand the law and this practical reason.

Toy907- You are correct; DRLs are the headlights. On these vehicles in Canada, when you turn your truck on the markers turn on, and when you put the vehicle in gear the DRLs turn on. They don’t turn off again until the ignition is turned to off.

I have installed all my aftermarket lights separate to my headlights so that at no time will I ever have more than 2 lights on at a time while on a public road, and so that I can turn them on when I desire, whether the accessories on or not. Being able to switch my headlights off will be the last step. Thanks for providing the diagram, Scuba!

... Also, just as a caution... just because you haven't been ticketed for an infraction doesn't mean you can't be. Most officers are much to busy to pull someone over for minor vehicle infractions, however, tickets have room for up to three infractions to be written up on one form. This means if you were pulled over and the officer felt so inclined, (s)he could easily add two minor infractions to your first without adding to (her)his paperwork. Getting a mandatory vehicle inspection isn't fun either. I'd rather avoid this, myself.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 PM

yeah its not fun getting a vehicle inspection. when i had my old truck i was worrying almost daily if i had to get an inspection done, my truck would be pulled off the road because it had so many problems. yeah i should make sure my yota is legal, cops like to pick on younger drivers like me. if i got pulled over for infractions right now i could also get a ticket for no front licence plate, no mud flaps. but i think a cop will most likely pull you over for no drls right before the sun comes up or 30 mins before the sun goes down. i want to get rid of the drls all together and have the headlights and dash lights on 100 percent.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:23 AM

Disabling DRL

Hey Gary - Do you know which wire in the harness you cut? Could you match it to a number based on these wiring diagrams?

I guess you won't be needing this anymore:

It's the DRL resistor shown at the bottom of the wiring diagram. It sits in front of the brake reservoir. Just attach the wires to each other, or straight to the chassis.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM

i didnt even touch the daytime running light resister. i just took off the peice of plastic in front of the shifter below the plastic compartment that holds the stereo. took out 2 screws that is holding a box in place. i took out the screws and voila the box said something like canada headlight on it. i looked at the wires going to it and cut the black and orange wire. the drls stopped working so it worked for me.

Last edited by gary96360; 02-09-2009 at 02:02 PM.