Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cracked Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zlathim
Oh, OK. I know you mentioned Oregon earlier in this thread. I thought if you were somewhere in eastern Oregon I could give you a hand with your swap.

Any news from the dipstick 4runner guy? Are you holding off on getting the engine until the runner is officially yours?
I am going to give him one more call today and if no answer then I'm just giving up. He can contact me and if I still have the money (been putting a bit aside for it) then I might go for it. No I do not have the the engine and I need to tell the guy "again" not to hold his breath for me as I don't want to dissapoint.

I just don't get some people. I understand everybody things their $&*^% don't stink and that their crap is worth gold but here in reality the thing has been sitting 4 years. My command told me to get the thing towed and I'm doing him a favor by #1 informing him he should move it....#2 offering to buy it for a fair price (3 on ebay in the last 2 weeks in same condition with no engine for the same 500 dollar offer) #3 taking it off his hands. It will sit and rott forever.

Ohh well what can I say. I can't offer him any more money (even if that is the problem...who knows maybe he has just been busy) becuase the thing just isn't worth it.

HOpefully my final post here isn't tonight with a no go deal. I was really excited for it.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a guy do that to me on an old Taurus. I finally had to give him a deadline, at which point I was walking away. That got him motivated enough to make the deal. I'm still pissed at that guy for dragging his feet.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM

I could have sworn I made a post already but must not have hit submit.

Anyway the guy finally called me and I'm going to get the 4-runner at 0900 tomorrow morning. Apperently the title is already in my name (but it is a NC title...not sure if I am/can keep that one as all my stuff is in Oregon...but anyway it should be mine tomorrow morning. If all goes well I can leave work early and head up and pick up the engine....I will be broke at that point for another week though. Hopefully enough spare change to pay for the autoskills shop.

I will take some better pictures of the thing tomorrow, and give an update. Unable to get anyone to help out on Friday night but Saturday morning I'm hitting it strong.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool man! I can't wait to see the pictures!

I'm glad you finally got something to happen with that guy, I was thinking it might be hopeless after you said you were gonna try one last time and then forget about it. Good perseverance!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:45 AM

Tis MINE!!!!

I will put some pictures up later but basically looks like another White 4-runner.

The engine compartment is a bit ugly but not to worried. They had taken of the head on the drivers side so the cylinders are completely rusted. All of the brackets and pulleys that are still on are rusted as well. Not horrible but it is there.

The biggest thing that is going to stink is I have no vaccume hoses to mark. Since they took the head off everything is disconnected

Hopefully my manual here tells me where everything goes as that is going to be a real pain in the butt.

Interior is pretty nice minus 2 cracks on the dash from sun and one small tear in the drivers seat from getting in and out.

Will be putting on the spare tire this afternoon, airing up the others tomorrow with my tank and bringing back the battery charged to see if all the electronics work.

Off to pick up the engine tonight or tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 AM

Fantastic! I'm glad that you finally got it.

Take some pictures of the disconnected vac lines. Most of them should be on the pass side inner fender area if your runner is set up like the pickup I am dealing with. I might be able to help if I can see some good photos.

What year is the 4 runner?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Yes,

Most of the hoses are over there. I am going to look thru this manual I have but I may need your help on those pictures. There sure are a lot of them.

It is a 92 model. Not to saggy as some I've seen are really bad. Especailly considering it had those few extra parts in the back of it.

Did notice the jack under the seat is missing though. Good thing I brought mine from home. I'll see how she sits when I get the spare on.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 AM

I know it looks daunting, but it is not as bad as it seems. You'll have that thing up and running in no time.

Here is a pic of the majority of the lines and stuff:

Old 08-07-2008, 11:35 AM

Thank you,

Real pictures are worth a million words.

I found some pictures in my Manual but there are so many of them they are hard to read. I'm going to print that picture out for reference.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 AM

No problem. I will help any way I can.
This one may be of some use too:
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM

I found the jack and the proper tools hiding under the junk.

You can tell the spare has been sitting there awhile. I brought the tire home and it inflated and held air. We will see for how long. As far as the battery it is shot. It took a jolt from jumpers but only up to 10 volts and won't take a charge from my charger.

It looks like th paint will clean up nice as well. Besides a bit of rust (surface) on the chrome by the rear wheel wells there is not a dent or scratch on the thing.

Here are some pictures. This sites file size is to restrictive and I can't seem to shrink them any further without them becomeing so small they can't be seen. If the link doesn't work let me know.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/nc-olde-nort...-4-runner.html
Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Wow, that thing is clean (other than the partially disassebled engine)!

It looks like it is set up identical to the one I am working on. I should be able to help you get that rats nest hooked up when you get the new engine installed.

I'm glad that it is coming together for you. Now it is just a matter of a few days worth of work and a few cuss words , and you're in business.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:52 AM

Well,

I have plenty of Cuss words to go around and just happens I have a few days as well. Hopefully it only takes me that long.

Getting of work early today and going to pick up the engine.

Doubt that many people are following this any more but is there a screen probiting me from sucking out the gas from the filler? From the gauge if correct it has almost a full tank. I have a pump and a 30 gallons tank I can put it in and do it cleanly if that is the case.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by addicted56
Well,

I have plenty of Cuss words to go around and just happens I have a few days as well. Hopefully it only takes me that long.

Getting of work early today and going to pick up the engine.

Doubt that many people are following this any more but is there a screen probiting me from sucking out the gas from the filler? From the gauge if correct it has almost a full tank. I have a pump and a 30 gallons tank I can put it in and do it cleanly if that is the case.
What am I, chopped liver?

With a pump you should be able to suck it out through the filler neck. I am unaware of a screen or filter that would prevent you from sticking a hose down into the tank. someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:43 AM

Sorry,

No harm intended. What I meant is I think you are the only one following this thread, but am very thankful you are.

That is the answer I wanted. I'm going to take my pump with me this morning and see if I can get all of the gas out.

Went and picked up the engine last night. The guys seemed pretty darn freindly and outright with the information about the engine so I feel pretty comfortable. They both said they heard it run about 2 weeks ago when it was pulled from the 4-runner. Hopefully all of the plugs and electircal stuff from my truck matches up. Besides the engine being dirty from past wheeling experinces it appeared in good shape as they did a good job yanking it out of the previous truck.

We will see how fast I can move today. First hard part will be just getting it there. TOW STRAP.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been following...I believe there is a drain plug for the tank. You'll probably have to remove the protection plate to find it. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...91fueltank.pdf
Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 AM

It's all good. I was just yanking your chain!

I am glad that you got ahold of the engine with no problems. Time to get serious....

After looking at the photo of the partially disassembled engine, I came to the conclusion that they did you a favor. Now the PITA upper bellhousing bolts are easily accessible!

Well, you are probably working on it all day today, but if you read this tonight, remember to include a pic or two.

Last edited by zlathim; 08-09-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:32 PM

Sorry no pics,

I was to busy working to take pictures. My buddy was there helping me out today and it sure made things faster.

We hooked up the tow rope when he got there it unlocked the brakes which were frozen and off we went. it had plent of stopping power.

We then pushed it in the garage and then I moved some of my own tools in the garage and set up. Then we took my engine and put it on a work table in a another room. Now that I have the engine out both of them are in there.

It made it realy easy to drain the oil and do a couple of other things. I removed the AC as I will be using the AC that is currently on the car. I will use the starter that is on the car. I had to move over a motor mount that was missing on the engine I bought. I got to taking off the flywheel and clutch just as we had to start cleaning up.

All in all we only spent 5 hours in the shop and most of that was getting set up the first day, getting used to using their place and finding things, and cleaning up.

I agree removing that did save me a lot of headaches. I was able to remove that cross over exahust and save myself a lot of work.

Question #1: What technique did you use to get those upper bellhousing bolts in (since I will have the cross member on this time)? I am not looking forward to those 2 and possibly 3.

#2: I have a 51 with a circle around it on my wiring harness that runs just above the timing belt cover. On the engine I bought it has a 52. Is this going to cause me any problems?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I've been following...I believe there is a drain plug for the tank. You'll probably have to remove the protection plate to find it. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...91fueltank.pdf
Thank you,

I think you are right. I was looking and there are a lot of wholes on that protection plate. I did not get a good chance to look at them all though.

My hose was to large today to get it down the fuel spout (very small) so I'm going to have to get an adapter for a smaller hose or hopefully find this plug. The hose route being the prefered. I might (if I can) take off the fuel filler next (rubber) and then stick the hose in their if it is big enough. I need a way to easily get this stuff in my extra tank to haul it off.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by addicted56
Sorry no pics,

I was to busy working to take pictures. My buddy was there helping me out today and it sure made things faster.

We hooked up the tow rope when he got there it unlocked the brakes which were frozen and off we went. it had plent of stopping power.

We then pushed it in the garage and then I moved some of my own tools in the garage and set up. Then we took my engine and put it on a work table in a another room. Now that I have the engine out both of them are in there.

It made it realy easy to drain the oil and do a couple of other things. I removed the AC as I will be using the AC that is currently on the car. I will use the starter that is on the car. I had to move over a motor mount that was missing on the engine I bought. I got to taking off the flywheel and clutch just as we had to start cleaning up.

All in all we only spent 5 hours in the shop and most of that was getting set up the first day, getting used to using their place and finding things, and cleaning up.

I agree removing that did save me a lot of headaches. I was able to remove that cross over exahust and save myself a lot of work.

Question #1: What technique did you use to get those upper bellhousing bolts in (since I will have the cross member on this time)? I am not looking forward to those 2 and possibly 3.

#2: I have a 51 with a circle around it on my wiring harness that runs just above the timing belt cover. On the engine I bought it has a 52. Is this going to cause me any problems?
You guys got off to a great start. I used the following setup to get the upper bellhousing bolts out & back in. It is a regular 24 inch extension, then a 6 inch wobbly extension and then a 3 inch wobbly extension and a socket. The ratchet ends up situated to the rear of the transfer case with that many extensions, but you can get a pretty good turn on those upper bolts with that set up.

The wobble extensions have an undercut design on the square drive that allows for some wobble:

The harness on the truck I did had 51 on it. The harness of my used engine was number 56. The only real difference was that the "new" motor came out of an auto and therefor had an extra coolant sensor in the coolant riser on the back of the intake manifold (lower plenum). I think that you are going to be fine.

You mentioned swapping the clutch assembly. If your new engine was originally bolted to an automatic, be sure to swap over the pilot bearing as well. I used the grease trick with great success to remove the pilot bearing on my old engine. Let me know if you need details.

Last edited by zlathim; 08-09-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Cracked Cylinder