Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cracked Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Cylinder

Hello,

First post here.

Used to have a 93 4-Runner and loved the thing...wish I wouldn't have sold it but needed money for other projects (FJ 40).

Anyway. There has been an early 90's 4-runner out in front of my work for almost 2 years if not longer. Finally tracked down the owner from the stickers and only thru e-mail have I got a bit of info.

I noticed a lot of parts in the back. He said the cylinder was actually cracked. I thought he meant the head but he meant the actual cylinder after clarification. Said he was overheating replaced the radiator finally and then found out about that. I'm going to have him pop the hood and show me next week.

Besides a flat tire it looks like it is in perfect shap. Has 205K on the odometer. No dents scratches and amazingly no rust. Especially for here. The tail pipe is rusted out a bit though with a few holes here an there. No wear on any of the seat and except for 1 crack in the top dash from the sun looks perfect.

Going to get it for 1K or under so what are your thoughts on here??? I see a lot of engines for sale in classified section for 500 or under. Or should I just be looking for a good block and change it out with new bearing, rings, gaskets, etc. Would like to do it on the cheap to really cheap.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I would go with a complete engine just because it's easier, but finding a short block would be cheaper. I swapped in a complete engine when my bottom end went bad and was able to offset some of the costs by selling the top end and intake stuff which was still good.

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 05-29-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd probably try to swap in a complete used engine if I was doing it on a tight budget. It would be up and running a lot faster that way too. Does it have the 22re?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 AM

No,

I beleive it is the 3vze.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM

get a 3.4 the 3vz is ok but it will blow again believe me
Old 05-29-2008, 11:46 AM

I'm not looking for anything crazy. I want....

#1: to go the cheaper route

#2: to go the easier route

I wish I could put a diesel in (all my other rigs have them or are getting them) but I just want a nice stock (maybe a small 2" lift) 4-Runner that my wife can drive around and bring out on the trails with me when I take out the FJ. I remmeber a lot of nights sleeping in the back of 4-Runner. If I had found a land cruiser for the same price as this I would be all over it....but I loved my old runner and it brings back memories.

Still looking for input and suggestions though. Sounds like a used replacement to drop it would be my best bet.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:04 AM

Well I'm back from a little vacation in afghanistan and back at trying to get this 4-runner. Hopefully can meet up with the guy soon.

I have an engine hoist and some space and could possible get it on an car lift if it would make it any easier.

For those that have done the complete swap out before about how long (hours) did it take you. I'm thinking if I can get one or two knowledgeable buddies I could get it done in one weekend working a LOT or possibly two full weekends taking my time.

Thank you, and I will post some pictures next.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 AM

Pics

Here are a couple. To bad he had to let the tire dry rot out. The others look in great shape.

I tried to make the pictures better but with the size I had to shrink it to kb wise I couldn't do it.
Attached Images    
Old 07-22-2008, 04:28 PM

Any estimates on how long it would take?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To swap a 3vze for another 3vze?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should count on more of a project than just an engine swap.

Usually when vehicles are abandoned like that it is because they have been neglected. Count on finding more things wrong once you get it running.

If you can find a Known Good engine then go with that.

It's not really that common, but I've encountered a couple of 3VZs with split cylinders in the #6 position because of being hydrolocked when they blew head gaskets. It is also not uncommon to find tweaked cranks and connecting rods.

That said, aside from the ill-effects of the headgasket issue. the engines are very reliable if they are repaired properly. So whatever engine you get, do your best to verify it's integrity.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 AM

Yes it is another 3vze. It was completely rebuilt by toyota and has zero miles.

I agree on having to fix other things.

Possibly frozen brakes, flat tire probably will not hold air, going to have to change a few fluids, battery is probably toast after sitting dead for a long time, probably a new exhaust though i could live with the one that is one there, a new rear windshield motor. I would hope that woudl be it though and those things only tack on another day or so.

Any other things you can think of for a car that has been sitting for 3 years.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:21 AM

Will a 2L-Te match up to the tranny? If so you should defeinetly consider that. I here the the 2L-Te is one indestructable diesel !
Old 07-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by addicted56
Yes it is another 3vze. It was completely rebuilt by toyota and has zero miles.
Yeah you may be able to do that in a weekend if you don't run into any snags.

Take lots of pics before you take it apart, screw all nuts and bolts back into their spots to keep them straight. Label where each hose goes in that birdsnest of vac hoses as you disconnect them (they should be numbered). Use a tranny jack. If you have AC, some have managed to remove the compressor from the block without disconnecting the lines, that way you keep all your freon charge.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Clean out the fuel tank!! And, a new filter, of course.

Radiator may need it, too.

Do all of the body electricals still work? Windows, lights, etc?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 AM

took me three days to pull my engine and rebuild it and put it back in, its an easy install so go for it, get a 1500 dollar longblock and your done....
Old 07-26-2008, 11:47 AM

Well,

I finally talked to the guy and he forgot the key so I didn't get a great look at anything.

I would love to put a diesel in if it was that easy as I'm a diesel guy myself but something tells me its not that easy or as cheap to get one of those. If it was I would do it though.

I should be able to get the 4runner for ~600 and the new engine I'm hoping for around the same. I already have found the rebuilt complete motor located up the road for ~800.

I have the time and a shop to work on it so I guess I might as well go for it. I still have the old engine so I'm sure I could get rid of a few parts and if all goes well be into one of these with a new engine for jsut over $1500. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. That would leave me a few dollars to put some goodies on it and enjoy the thing off-road.

And yes to flushing the tank and a new filter.

Last edited by addicted56; 07-26-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:59 AM

sounds like a hell of a plan. hey 1500 bucks for a nice used runner, hell you cant beat that.....
Old 07-26-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah thats a good price and if you got a welder then just weld it really good and have it bored out again all done lol

or do the 3.4L with 7 injectors and a nice stock sc!! but dont forget the fuel pump and what not if your going this route!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Well,

I got more info on the Engine tonight. It was proffessionally rebuilt by toyota but it does have 25K miles on it not zero. Still not a bad deal for $600.

I am going to tow the vehicle down to the autoskills shop that just reopened on post so I can use a tow strap to get it there. They have every tool you could think of and it is only 6 dollars an hour and I can keep it there over night for 3 dollars a night. So that should be fun if I can scrounge 1 or 2 freinds to come help me with it I just might be able to get it done over a weekend.

Only thing I can not do there is change fuel filters and drain tanks...so I'm going to have to do that in the parking lot at work (LOOKING FOR IDEAS HERE)

Now I just have to work out getting the truck and hurry up the transfer of title to my name and VIOLA...I might just be on the road in no time.

I'm going to be making a list of parts I'm going to need to bring with me. When I'm done feel free to make any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Cracked Cylinder