Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of questions

I finally managed to pull the transmission in my 4runner (1988 22r-e, 5speed, stock) to figure out why the clutch was slipping. I was expecting to find a leaky rear main seal leaking oil and causing the clutch to slip. It turned out to be dry, and the oil was coming from the front seal on the transmission. First, what is this seal called? - I am guessing it would be the output shaft seal?. Also, did they use a gasket on the front of the transmission or RTV from the factory? I checked with the dealership, and the person at the counter wasn't really that sure, but thought they came without. On another topic, I may have to replace the timing chain, and have been considering trying to do it without pulling the headgasket and just lowering the front of the oil pan. I have seen others do this before. How well does this typically work, and would it be better just to pull the head?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1- input shaft seal
2- don't know. it's toyota so probably a form in place gasket material
3- did the timing chain on my 91 2wd in about 4 hours (not including the overnight cure to the jbweld on the grooves cut by the chain when the quides went) by dropping the oil pan and have had no problems with leaks or anything

good luck!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
1- input shaft seal
2- don't know. it's toyota so probably a form in place gasket material
3- did the timing chain on my 91 2wd in about 4 hours (not including the overnight cure to the jbweld on the grooves cut by the chain when the quides went) by dropping the oil pan and have had no problems with leaks or anything

good luck!
Did you use any type of sealant where the headgasket meets the timing cover? RVT
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM

I cleaned the surface of the gasket and the timing cover with a scotchbrite pad, while the chain was out, and used a light coat of black rtv on the cover
Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the input bearings start to go, it can cause a wobble in that input shaft and chew up the seal material. Make sure that shaft is solid... Otherwise you'll need to rebuild.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM

not to mention the wobble can wear (and the seal too for that matter) a groove in the shaft too, so depending on how bad things are, you may need a new input shaft.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 PM

Just an update

I checked for wear on the shaft before putting the transmission back in; I guess I got lucky or caught it soon enough because the shaft looked pretty good. After seeing the old clutch, I almost wish I hadn't replaced it. It was hardly worn at all. But I had already purchased another one so I went on and did it while I had it all out. On a side note, the Toyota dealership here told me that my truck originally came with an auto trans. They used my VIN to find the seals that I needed, and that's what the girl said. If it was swapped in, I have to give props to whoever did it. It looks extremely stock. Also did the check to make sure the timing chain had enough tension, and it was good to go, so I had a friend of mine help me adjust the valves in it. That evidently was the source of my rattling, because the truck starts up alot smoother now. Got it back on the road today, and all seems well so far.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 PM

sorry about the clutch thing... but you said it was slipping. Is that fixed now?
and the timing chain wasn't all that hard was it?

and finally, props from north druid hills, atlanta, georgia- my home for the next week til I get to back home.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
sorry about the clutch thing... but you said it was slipping. Is that fixed now?
and the timing chain wasn't all that hard was it?

and finally, props from north druid hills, atlanta, georgia- my home for the next week til I get to back home.
Yep, the new clutch and seals fixed the slipping. I ended up not doing the chain after checking the chain tension through the distributor. Instead, a friend helped me adjust the valves being that I had never done that before. That cleared up most of my rattling at startup. Hope that you had a chance to see other parts of Georgia other than Atlanta; it's not exactly the signature spot of Georgia IMHO.