Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Contemplating 3vze swap

Old 11-17-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contemplating 3vze swap

Greetings all,

Background

on another forum I asked about problem with oil in water, and the conclusion is that the block is cracked (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...r-oil-but.html), I have perused the different fora for options and despite some inevitable controversy (after all, this is Internet), the majority opines that swap for a different engine is preferable. It also appears that the 5VZ-FE engine is the least involved. However, my main requirement is reliability, so if another engine would offer greater reliability, I would entertain it.

Thus I called the BAR referee (I live in South California, thus need to pass SMOG despite living in no-smog area), and started to do some research. As best as I can tell, there are two options (1) acquire a vehicle with the 5VZ-FE engine and (2) acquire the engine and all the necessary parts individually.

Re (1) the advantage is that I have all the matching parts, thus I will hopefully have no problem with mismatched part numbers; the disadvantage is that given the years of vehicles with the engine (see below), it might be difficult to find a vehicle with low mileage and, thus, the condition of the engine might be unknown.

Re (2) the advantage is, that the (Japanese) engine will have low mileage, the disadvantage that I will have to develop a list of all the parts I need to complete the installation and find them on preferably a single vehicle. If someone already has compiled such a list and would be willing to share it, would be greatly appreciated.

Donor vehicles and random notes

Tacoma or 4runner 1996-2002 (Tacoma up to 2004?). 1996-1998 T100s (correct oil pan); avoid 96 - no TDR supercharger compatibility.

Avoid 2001-2002 throttle by wire, which creates some more issues to deal with when swapping to an early truck.

Potentially avoid nearly all 1995.5 - 1998 California Tacomas and nearly all California T100s because they have EGR.

Any comments on the above, recommendations on best years and where to look for donor vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 11-22-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Hello:
I purchased a used JDM 3.4 litre engine from a local importer. Their people said that it had less than 60k on it. It was externally clean, and had all the bits
They charged me $1100.00 for it, and gave me a warranty on it from date of purchase for 60 days.
Needless to say that it took me almost 3.5 months (106 days) till initial power on, to complete the swap into my 95 Runner to my satisfaction. I have a family to support also.
My warranty was out the window.
The motor lasted two weeks, mixing the coolant with the engine oil, and creating a substance with the viscosity of wallpaper paste.
The importer blamed me for the problem, refusing to step up and admit that the JDM engine thing is basically a crap shoot.
I took the engine apart, and it turned out to be a high mileage junker.
So........ beware of the JDM engine scam. You are buying blind.
Art.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
There is an entire forum here devoted to the 3.4 swap. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/ I don't much about it myself (You have to do a body lift just to fit the engine? If you have to buy a Tacoma to get the engine, why don't you just buy the Tacoma and drive that?)

I also don't know much about the 1988, but to me it seems that "I can't see a crack in the head" isn't much evidence of a crack in the block.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ZART,

thank you for reporting your experience. I have done more research and received an advice to buy the entire donor vehicle.

Hi scope103,

thank you pointing me to the forum. There are many reasons to prefer 4Runner to Tacoma, e.g., SUV vs pick-up, ruggedness vs ride comfort, etc.

Kindest regards,

M