Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Contemplating FJ-40 purchase.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contemplating FJ-40 purchase.....

Well, I've been thinking about picking up a project vehicle to keep me busy for the next little while, and am considering picking up a stock FJ-40 to restore and turn into my main off-roading rig. Another alternative would be an older toyota mini-truck, but I'm leaning towards the landcruiser at the moment. Any cruiserheads want to give me any advice for years to stay away from, years to look for, etc?
Old 11-21-2003, 04:25 PM

I know you're leaning towards the cruiser, but don't even think about gettting a mini! have you ever seen a jacked 40? OH MAN! that HAS to be my favorite vehicle to see off-road-ready! you are lucky! I hope someday to pick up my own fj40!
Old 11-21-2003, 07:53 PM

I had a 72' FJ-40 that I paid 8K for just after a complete restoration. Was completely stock with the inline 6 and 3 speed tranny, etc. I added power steering and a ton of other things to it, and sold it about a year later for almost 14K to some loaded guy who took it to his ranch in Costa Rica. I would do anything in the world to have her back. By far the coolest vehicle I have ever owned, over my 02' Lightning, and even my current 03' V-8 Runner with all the mods. Didn't have a clue how special the vehicle was. I have made a promise to myself that I will own another one some day. I would completely encourage you to pursue finding one. I have always been told that late 60's to early 70's are the better years, but I personally don't know enough about them to validate that. Even sweeter (IMHO) would be to find an old FJ-40 truck (not sure the exact name for em). Good luck. See if you can find one for me too.

Billy
Old 11-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

I like the 40's alot, and am just imagining riding around with the top off this summer. I'm still planning on keeping the 4runner, but would like something just for fun. There's an FJ-40 locally with stock engine for 3500 that I'm leaning towards at the moment.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:55 PM

Mr. Chemist-

I just realized something...you're alright...you're from WA. Sold mine to a guy from Bainbridge. Grew up near Bremerton/Port Orchard, back in Bozeman, MT finishing my master's of arch. Good luck in your search...I'd love to see what you turn up.

Billy
Old 11-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

This was the coolest thing I saw on the last run at Pismo...

Last edited by SkyRat; 11-21-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:09 PM

I just was briefly searching for info about these. I can't believe how some people want upwards of $10k for these. Insanity!

There are a few reasonable people out there also though...
http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/wa.html
...but nothing extremely "fresh" right now.

Dude, I empathize with your thoughts, but I just can't say I would go this route.

You'd probably have much better luck getting an older pickup/Runner and building it up.

Jim
Old 11-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Contributing Member

I have a couple of 40's, a 1971 and a 1980. As said earlier, the older FJ's are a little more utilitarian and seem to be built a little heavier. The biggest advantages of the newer ones are the 4sp tranny and bucket seats. I guess the 2F is also a little larger but horsepower sucks in both anyway. Mileage rocks, about three dinosaurs to the mile!

I am definitely not a mechanic, but they are easy to work on and its a healthy project. It can however brcome a money pit, much like my runner.

Options that were not available on earlier cruisers are: Power steering, air conditioning, radio, ambulance doors came about but if you want to run without a top or with a soft top, you might need a tailgate. The earlier models had split rear hatch where the swing out tail gate doors could be left in place (I like this feature a lot).

I'll try to be a little more specific later. I'm leaving for work and just thought I'd shoot some quick differences up for you!

Doug M.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mad,
Where is the one you are looking at? If not too far, I could meet with you to go peak at it.

I don't think you want the early 70's with "3 on the tree" like my 71 came with. There are kits out there to convert to floor shift. I put in an automatic when I did the V8.

76 and newer had front disk brakes (but mini brakes can be added to earlier models).

The tops come of, but it is at least a 2 man job. Mine has been off once to put in the roll bar.

Lots of information at www.ih8mud.com

Last edited by Yoda; 11-22-2003 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

These are a couple I'm thinking about taking a peek at:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...0/60196660.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/60196666.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...0/59325480.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...4/60196664.htm

The first link woud be the newest (1978), and has the 350 swapped into it. Thanks for the words of encouragement Fourunnabilly. This really meant to be mre than just an offroading rig. My dad has been restoring cars since I was kid, and I think this would be a great long term project that would give me a real functional offroad vehicle at the end. Plus, the TLCA seems like a fun group to be in (yes, I realize I can join with my 4Runner now), so there's the social aspect to it as well.

Yoda, check those links and let me know what you think. The first one in Everett seems attractive since they've already done the swap. The one in Bellevue might be an easy one to pick up if the guy is trying to get rid of it fast?
Old 11-22-2003, 09:29 AM

looks like fun David. good luck
Old 11-22-2003, 09:33 AM

There are a few of those driving around over here in my locality. There is one sitting in a field not far from me. Doesn't look like it's moved in years. It's mustard yellow with a white roof. Is it worth making a few enquires about it. Maybe I could try to restore it!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Some of my thoughts:

If you want to restore one, go for the full stock. If you want to drive and be comfortable, go for a v8 conversion. (quality of the installations varies GREATLY)
That one with blazer running gear looks funky (hacked??) Check the front fender "flairs" to cover the wider stance.
I would get one that has the hard top just because of the rain here. Easy to get a soft top later if you want that option. Check top for damage to the fiberglass (panel is $1000+ new) and rust on rain gutter.
One with the ambulance doors (75+) you can open the back door without unlatching the tire (rear passengers can get out back without someone outside having to swing out the tire)
I like the lower mount wipers (75+). My early wipers pack the snow up under the visor. I bought a windshield from a 78 to convert mine sometime.
Newer ones have rear side window vents.
Rust areas are the area below the rear doors, and rocker panels under the side doors. Rear fender openings.

Last edited by Yoda; 11-22-2003 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Ciaran,
Land Cruisers are sort of legendary tough offroad vehicles, much like Jeeps. I wonder if the one near you is a diesel?
Old 11-22-2003, 10:32 AM

Tougher than a CJ-X Jeep!

Those things kick major butt off-road bone stock. Built nothing can touch it! Maybe an old Willys built or possibly some Land Rover models but that's about it. Super-short wheelbase and Toyota toughness is a hard combo to match.

C
Old 11-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yoda,

How long have you had yours? Is it alot of work to maintain? Is it your daily driver? Thanks for all the help! If I go through with this, I want to make an informed decision.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:38 AM

I know only a little about 40s. If I were you I would figure out what year they got away from the course splined axles, unless you plan to swap the axles. Those course splined fronts are junk. I would also want one with discs in the front. Those two things would save you some work...
Old 11-22-2003, 11:52 AM

Chemist-

That second beige one is the exact same ride that I had, paint, white top and front grille, and even the diamond plating on the rear...plus it's a 72' like mine was...just got me a little excited. The first one does look pretty solid.

Billy
Old 11-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

I bought my 71 in 1979 ($2200). It was bone stock then. Never have used it as a dd, (only when dd was down).
Parts can be expensive. Drum brakes need to be adjusted about every 3k miles (2 adjusters per wheel.....IT SUCKS!)
Fine spline axles and disk brakes happened at the same time.
gearing is 4.10. Mid 79 they went to 3.7 gears (til 88) I have a set of each gear. Was going to change to 3.7, but got taller tires to drop the highway RPM.
I am rebuilding a set of 79 axles to install, so I will have disks soon (or maybe not soon, I've owned the axles 2 years now). I do know a guy that has a set of 77 disk axles for sale (see for sale section).
My water leaks that caused my rusting came from the cowl vent in front of the windshield and the rain gutter rusting through from some damage prior to my buying it.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Ciaran,
Land Cruisers are sort of legendary tough offroad vehicles, much like Jeeps. I wonder if the one near you is a diesel?
I would bet on it. VERY few 4x4's over here are petrol. Just as a guess I reckon that about 1 in 100 are!!!

Quick Reply: Contemplating FJ-40 purchase.....