86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Confused... Suspension related

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused... Suspension related

I just replaced the lower control arm on my 86 4x4. I took the shock out to see if it needed to be replaced, because the right side of my truck was riding a little lower than the left and the ride was getting a little poor. I press the shock down on the ground and the shock styed compressed. I called rancho to ask about their shocks, for a replacement, and he said that shocks are not going to return, and that the torsion bar is the spring for these trucks. I have read a lot of threads here and P4x4 about suspension and am still fuzzy about it. Could anyone enlighten me on this situation, and possibly give me input on what shock to get to replace. Thank you

Old 12-27-2006, 12:25 PM

I don't think a shock not extending on it's own is all that out of the ordinary. The Rancho guy was right, the shock has nothing to do with ride height. To fix that side that is low adjust your torsion bar on that side (it's a bar that runs from the upper control arm about 4 feet back to a mount on the framerail.) There will be a big bolt head on the bottom and a 22mm nut and locknut on the top. Loosen the locknut and then tighten the bolt (which tightens the spring). You may have to jack the truck up to tighten it. You may have to adjust it a few times to get it right, then just tighten the lock nut.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thats BS, when I replaced my ranchos on my 4runner, my front ones were compressed and stayed that way while the rears acted normal. They are just trying to get out of honoring their warrenty. I replaced mine with Skyjackers since I hardly ever go offroad. They are much better than Ranchos and cheaper too. If you do a bunch of offroading then I recommend Bilstiens.
The torsion bar, from what I understand, is how you can raise or lower the front end at the same time and doing that does affect ride quality.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok did not know you can do each side individually. Learned something new.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:32 PM

I have tweaked with the torsion bar and i still can not get it to be the same height as the driver side. I replaced my control arm and have inspected everything else and cannot find anything that would cause that sidfe to be lower. Unless the torsion bar is sagging and not able to adjust properly. I think new shocks are a good idea anyways.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Define "tweaked the torsion bar".

The bolt that adjusts the torsion bars has a very fine thread. You may find it requires many, many turns to get the torsion bar to respond (stiffen up).

Also, you may find the adjuster is seized or various parts that surround it. Try and verfiy that everything is turning and rocking and adjusting like it should. Some quality rust blaster and good lube after might help here.

New bolts and cradles are available from the dealer and aren't to bad cost wise. If all is turning, you might just have torsion bars that are old and tired... need to find replacements to gain back your spring rate.

As mentioned above, adjust torsion bars only with no weight on the side you are adjusting. If you turn the adjusters with all four wheels on the ground there is a very good chance you'll snap the bolt or worse.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:36 PM

I agree with Paul H.
Thats BS.
When you but a new shock it usually has a plastic strap on it holding it partly compressed or it may be fully extended out of the box but most have a plastic strap. What happens when you cut that plastic strap? It extends fully. Then you play hell trying to get into the mounts with it extended. lol. Been there.
Anyways when you compress that shock it should come back out fully extended. They are right that the shock will not change the ride height but will affect the way it rides and handles.
Don't let them screw you. If the shock is junk insist on new ones.
Good luck
Old 12-27-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Thats BS, when I replaced my ranchos on my 4runner, my front ones were compressed and stayed that way while the rears acted normal. They are just trying to get out of honoring their warrenty. I replaced mine with Skyjackers since I hardly ever go offroad. They are much better than Ranchos and cheaper too. If you do a bunch of offroading then I recommend Bilstiens.
It depends on the shock, Ranchos do not have positive pressure in them to extend them, I have never seen a rancho do that. They stay where you put them. Most shocks dont run positive pressure, but some do...

Originally Posted by camo4x4
I have tweaked with the torsion bar and i still can not get it to be the same height as the driver side. I replaced my control arm and have inspected everything else and cannot find anything that would cause that sidfe to be lower. Unless the torsion bar is sagging and not able to adjust properly. I think new shocks are a good idea anyways.
What do you mean by tweaked... your truck is old and your torsion bars are probally worn and sagging.. To lift one side of the truck jack that side up until the tire is suspended. Give the torsion bar bold a few turns, drop the truck drive around the block and see how it looks, repeat as necessary..
Old 12-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys who say shocks don't stay compressed are making a generalization that does NOT apply to Rancho 5000/9000. STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION please.

Like Apache dude said, rancho's are not pressurized and will not return to full length by themselves. The rancho guy is right on.

Camo, generally, shocks do nothing for ride height and their only function is to slow down motion. The only exception are high pressure shocks and special adjustable air shocks. Springs are what determine ride height.

You'll know when you need new shocks when your truck bounces too much after hitting a bump.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 12-27-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:42 PM

I love learning new things like this. Another reason Yotatech rocks. Now for those more informed can you give examples of a "pressurized" shock? My truck also has a bit of a "lean" to her front right. I guess I'll adjust my torsion bars for this. Thanks.

-=Morphine=-
Old 12-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe Bilstein shocks are... at least my 5125's were. Had a hell of a time compressing them to mount on the vehicle.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah it's funny I had some no name shocks from Sears on mine when I changed out leaf springs. Time comes to put in new longer shocks and I lay out the new compressed shocks. Crawl under and take out the bottom bolt and here she comes right at me... not fast, but not slow either. Sure got out of there faster than I got in! Thats how I learned that not all shocks are the same.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 PM

Talking

Thanks for all the input. I bought some monroe shocks today just to get me back on the road. Once i get my new job, Jan 5th at Fastenal, i should have enoughn money to get some better shocks, Bilsteins or rancho 5000. Since i have crancked my T-bars up pretty high and no major hieght difference in the front, i may need to get new one and see if that is the problem. thanks again.

Pic for kicks, frozen stuck in a friends corn field. Made it about 15 feet than sank down to the axles. Good 'ol John Deer pulled me out. HAd frozen mud from the axle to the wheels, only one wheel would turn until it thawed abit. Learned a big leason that night.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, too much mis-information regarding shocks is posted here.
Thought that this was the "no mis-information" forum ;

There are two basic "types" of shocks, high pressure gas shocks like the OME's and Bilsteins and the so called cellular/twin tube/"hydraulic" (though that's a bit of a misnomer as most all shocks are technically "hydraulic") like the RS9000's.

The high pressure gas shocks will extend out to full length when relieved of any restraints.

The other class of shock does NOT extend when relieved of any restraints.

So y'all that were "BS'ing" the fact that the shocks didn't automagically extend on their own, please get your facts correct , unless you happened to know exactly which shocks they were.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep, shocks that extend by themselves usually have "gas" someplace in their name, for example the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks I used to run on my '85. THe old Monroes I took off it did not extend nor did the Ranchos (5000s and 9000s) that I have had on since. And a gas shock will not change the ride height, at least by very much, that is the spring's job.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by camo4x4
wishing i was there (with my trucks)..

i put rancho 5000s on my truck and thought something was up when they didn't extend on their own, but I figured that was normal so I put them on. after that it felt like a better ride so I assumed they weren't bad. way better than the dead stock shocks I had on there.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Thought that this was the "no mis-information" forum

Mostly true... we catch the bad stuff pretty quick...