86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I disable/remove my rear ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I disable/remove my rear ABS?

I'm getting ready to do an elocker swap on my runner and I need to know what to do about the rear abs sensor on my 3rd.

Can I just unplug it, and if so does that mess up my braking? or is there a way to turn off the abs system?

thanks!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:50 AM

Well i dont know much about 4runners specifically yet, but in most cars unplugging the abs fuse disables it safely, I dont know why you would have any problem.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine has been disconnected since i swapped thirds and no problem whatsoever other than the rear ABS light always being on, on the dash. if you are ever issued a vehicle inspection though, your vehicle will not pass if the ABS has been disabled.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SizzleChest
mine has been disconnected since i swapped thirds and no problem whatsoever other than the rear ABS light always being on, on the dash. if you are ever issued a vehicle inspection though, your vehicle will not pass if the ABS has been disabled.
Ditto. I pulled the fuse too, though.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MY manual from my 92 4Runner says when you shift into 4WD ABS is automaticly defeated. Not sure if that helps.

Lamm
Old 02-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

When I had my 4.88's put in the mechanic broke off my ABS sensor in the hole in the 3rd. My ABS light was on until I plugged in the sensor that I pulled from a junkyard. I could'nt get the broke off piece out so now the new sensor is bolted upside down where the original one is awaiting the day that I have the 3rd apart again so I can get that broken off piece out of the housing. You should be able to just leave it all hooked up and zip tie it out the way someplace. As long as it's plugged into the harness it won't cause the light the come on even if it's not even in the third.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UKMyers
When I had my 4.88's put in the mechanic broke off my ABS sensor in the hole in the 3rd. My ABS light was on until I plugged in the sensor that I pulled from a junkyard. I could'nt get the broke off piece out so now the new sensor is bolted upside down where the original one is awaiting the day that I have the 3rd apart again so I can get that broken off piece out of the housing. You should be able to just leave it all hooked up and zip tie it out the way someplace. As long as it's plugged into the harness it won't cause the light the come on even if it's not even in the third.
i'm not understanding.... how do i make it so my ABS light is off?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:55 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by UKMyers

Incorrectimundo! The ABS brain looks for a signal from that sensor and when it's not getting one - turns on the light.
Changed my gears - light is on.
Disconnected the sensor - light stays on.
I unplugged the ABS plug on the ABS unit (rf frame rail below batterry) - light stays on.
I unplugged my ABS fuse. Light stays on. (mildly surprised me, but when I looked at the diagram I see why - the light is ON by default - the ECU has to turn it OFF)
Interesting thing - a bulb like the high beam indicator which is rarely on, burns out on a regular basis. The @#$&* ABS light has been on for years - you would think it would have burned out by now. (You would also think each time I take the dash apart I would remember to pull out the bulb.. but NOOO...)

Last edited by Flamedx4; 02-06-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by Mikronized
I'm getting ready to do an elocker swap on my runner and I need to know what to do about the rear abs sensor on my 3rd.

Can I just unplug it, and if so does that mess up my braking? or is there a way to turn off the abs system?

thanks!
It will not mess up your braking. ABS is passive. (unless you get traction control with it, then it's not passive - it's INTRUSIVE!) 99% of us will drive our entire lives and never have ABS kick in at all. The brakes work entirely normal without it.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Incorrectimundo! The ABS brain looks for a signal from that sensor and when it's not getting one - turns on the light.
Changed my gears - light is on.
Disconnected the sensor - light stays on.
I unplugged the ABS plug on the ABS unit (rf frame rail below batterry) - light stays on.
I unplugged my ABS fuse. Light stays on. (mildly surprised me)
Interesting thing - a bulb like the high beam indicator which is rarely on, burns out on a regular basis. The @#$&* ABS light has been on for years - you would think it would have burned out by now. (You would also think each time I take the dash apart I would remember to pull out the bulb.. but NOOO...)
interesting... rockota on pirate said this :

Yes, it's not that hard and you don't have to remove the bulb. Follow the wires from the rear to under the hood. You should see two controllers on the pass side engine compartment - just remove them, IIRC, and you'll be set. It's been about 4 years, so don't quote me, but I know it's not hard at all.