Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

burning rubber smell?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this applies, but a leaking or blown rear axle seal and the grease dripping on to your drums/shoes would create a slight burning rubber smell. Believe me, my left rear has blown out twice recently. I had it fixed for free the second time under warranty by the shop, but after it happened again I went back to my "usual" toyota mechanic, who said that Toyota has redesigned the rear axle seal (not sure inner/outer or both) due to problems like mine, and most likely the shop that fixed mine last probably used a napa part.

FYI the first time it blew, it blew bigtime, dripping onto the inside of my wheel and splattering up under the wheel well (probably on my daily commute on the highway), but this time there's no visible grease at all, just smell that distinctive odor. Might want to check that if you don't find any obvious wear on your tires.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Thats a thought but he drives an old truck, not a 4-runner or Sequoia with the axle seal issues.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about an electrical problem? when driving down here, i followed my grandparents in our 91 F250 which was towing, anyway the ford was an electrical nightmare, and so about 1 day from the Belize border i see smoke billowing from underneath the trailer, so we pull over and it stunk like burning rubber. anyway we had a look and the electrical wires were shorting out at the trailer connection on the ford causing all the brakes to kick in both on the trailer and the Ford.

hope it helps, check your electrical wires.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get the same smell every now and then. I used to think it was just my winter tires on a warmer day because they are known to wear faster in warmer temps but I took them off a few weeks ago and I still get the smell every now and then. It smells like a mild burning rubber smell, like you just scorched pavement with your tires but I don't drive like that so...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
Maybe it's a Canadian thing Seeing as the exhaust comes out on the opposite side (If you are calling the pass. side the right side) that's a tough call. IF v6 you might see if there is a hanger for the crossover somewhere on the right side. Otherwise, that's just strange
The exhaust comes out the same side in Canada, it really matters more which side the tailpipe is on than the country you're in when determining where the exhaust will exit from.

We drive on the same side of the road, but it works a little differently. Dogsleds and skiers have the outside lanes and cars and covered wagons get the middle lanes. We do drive on the right though.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
May have found something.

I finally crawled under the truck and noticed the right rear bump stop is broken and is jammed sideways in the middle of the coil spring.

I'm hoping it has been rubbing on the coil and is the cause of the smell.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM

This is wild, my truck does the same damn thing. I used to think that it was because of spinning the tires up my icy driveway. But now with warmer temps and drier driveway she still does the same thing occasionally. My driver side rear axle seal did crapped the bed on me last October and I didn't change the pads so I'm thinking its just oil residue. That wheel has also started to lock up on me during breaking sometimes, especially on snowy roads.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM

well i dont have a spare... and ive been driving the same route to work every day, and i still smell the rubber, but not every day, only sometimes, sometimes i drive on snow all the way home and smell it, and the other day it was dry pavement and smelled it, and the day after dry pavement and didnt smell it.. i still havent gotten right under yet, still mucky out. wil let u know if i find something. one thing though, my truck has been running on 5 cylinders, and the exhaust shakes more than normal because of the missing cylinder, so i dunno if its rubbing more or something. ill check it out soon, thx for all ur input guys.!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM

Be careful, if you're starting to lock up randomly or your abs kicks in at random you might wanna check your wheel bearing. Mine was exhibiting the same symptoms and turned out that my wheel bearing blew, had to replace the drum, shoes, abs/speed sensors, not to mention the seals were wasted.

If it turns out to be your axle seal, make sure you or the person who replaces it uses the redesigned toyota part (sorry don't know the part#), if applicable. I just both sides done last week and fyi you'll still get the burning rubber smell until the existing oil residue "cooks off". My mechanic said once he pulled off the drums there was gear oil everywhere. After a week no more stink for me.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM

is it expensive to repair the axle seal?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:22 PM

Well you can do it yourself if you have a press, or if you're like me and don't have a press you can do it the ol' caveman-pole-stomping way. Basically you just use a hollow pole thats longer and bigger than the O.D of the shaft, and have at it like a caveman doing a rain dance.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Well you can do it yourself if you have a press, or if you're like me and don't have a press you can do it the ol' caveman-pole-stomping way. Basically you just use a hollow pole thats longer and bigger than the O.D of the shaft, and have at it like a caveman doing a rain dance.
i SAID is it EXPENSIVE lol, not how to do it haha but thx
Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by ciscojay
Be careful, if you're starting to lock up randomly or your abs kicks in at random you might wanna check your wheel bearing. Mine was exhibiting the same symptoms and turned out that my wheel bearing blew, had to replace the drum, shoes, abs/speed sensors, not to mention the seals were wasted.

If it turns out to be your axle seal, make sure you or the person who replaces it uses the redesigned toyota part (sorry don't know the part#), if applicable. I just both sides done last week and fyi you'll still get the burning rubber smell until the existing oil residue "cooks off". My mechanic said once he pulled off the drums there was gear oil everywhere. After a week no more stink for me.
Do you really drive a 98 runner?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM

ya i think i might have a similar smell. The rear drive shaft seal coming out of the transfer case leaks a little oil which gets sprayed onto my exhaust.
i don't know maybe not the same smell
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM

.............. is it expensive to repair the seal??