86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blower Motor Power Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower Motor Power Issue

My heater stopped working yesterday. More specifically, the blower is not getting power. The motor itself is working and I found that the resistor pack is good as well. When I turn the dash switch to the on position, I can hear the relay click behind the dashboard giving me reason to believe it is working as well. Am I overlooking anything in between the relay and the resistor pack (fuse, another relay) or do you think I just have a short in the power wires to the blower. Just wanted to ask before I started ripping into the wiring.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 AM

different vehicle but i had a similar problem on a grand cherokee i was working on. it turned out the short was in a connector that was covered by tape, i couldn't find it for the longest time when i took the tape off the connector was melted where the one wire was. i cut the wires off the plug and threw a butt connector on them. moral of the story is... sometimes those pins in the plugs aren't seated well or get pulled out slightly and cause shorts.. hope you find it.. good luck
Old 12-16-2005, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the reply....going to have to check the plug out.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:21 PM

If you had a short in the power wire you'd blow the fuse.

You state that "the motor is working, but it's not getting power." There's a piece of info missing there. How do you know the motor is working if you got no power? Did you pull it out and jumper wire it to a battery?

If you have power at the blower motor connector in all four blower speed positions, then the supply fuse is good, the blower relay is good and the blower resistor is good too. If there is no power at the blower motor then I'd first check the fuse.

Do you have continuity to ground on the other terminal in the blower motor connector? If you have good ground there and power there, then I'd replace the blower motor.

I just put a new blower motor in mine yesterday, cost me $60 at Autozone, with a lifetime guarantee on it. Toyota wanted $120.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There is also a fuse associated with the relay:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml
Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 AM

I am having the EXACT same issue. I tried swapping the relay out with my buddys truck, no joy (same "clicking sound"). I removed the blower resistor, no burnt wires, all intact. I can plug and unplug the blower switch and hear it activate the relay when it is in any of the on positions. Both fuses below the relay are intact, but NO power to the blower motor (at least with a meter, I cant get a reading). What the heck!! (Its a 1990 xcab, v6 4x4, no AC)
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Could be a few things. First check for continuity in the wiring between the switch, resistor and motor. Then if that is OK, it could be the motor has issues, such as brushes worn out causing the motor to short out the fuses. You can read the 2nd section of the page posted above that deals with repairing the blower motor. Some of the later model trucks have blower motors that are much harder to disassemble, so if that turns out to be the case, then a relacement motor may be the only option.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:08 AM

Yeah, I just cant get a reading of any power coming to the motor?? (used a test light on the plug I disconnected from the motor, from one prong to the other, nothing). I guess I am assuming the resistor is OK, because it looks OK (and common sense tells me for it to not work in any setting, all three coils must be burnt, and are not). The fuses are all OK, and the relay is fine (checked with a known good one), switch seems fine, as if I put it to any on position and plug it in and out, I hear the relay clicking, nothing if its off. I hate this wiring crap.

Last edited by jslamerman; 01-15-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Just work your way back up the wiring. Check for power to the resistor connector (to ground). If that is missing, see if there is power coming out of the relay. While you may be hearing it click, that click is just the coil pulling in the contacts. If the contacts are burnt or damaged, they may not be making solid electrical contact. Sometimes you can pop the cover of the relay and file/sand the contacts to clean them up, or else replace the relay if it is too far gone.