Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best place to buy a good used entire rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Best place to buy a good used entire rear axle

Well I took my truck in today to the stealership and the local import mechanic for estimates on rebuilding my entire rear end. Both places think it would be better to find an entire rear axle at a bone yard and swap it out! The 3rd member is trashed, there is way to much slack in the gears and the bearings, and the drivers side wheel bearing is totally shot and it sounds terrible Does anyone know of a reputable used parts center that could help me out? Should I try Tap? or does anyone know of another! Im not happy about this at all, Ive got a fortune in my truck and now this, but at 167,000 miles I guess I cant complain that much, the rear end hasnt leaked a drop, ever! Any assistance would be great. How would I know what size or gearing is in my rear end now so I know Im getting the correct rear end on the used unit? My truck is a 1988 V6 4x4 Xcab with the automatic trans. Any help would be great on this one, matt
Old 10-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This is what I would do...

I'd buy an entirely new 3rd member from Randy's R&P or similiar source, and get a locker thrown in at the same time. Unless the bearing actually destroyed the housing or axle when it went (doubtful), a new bearing is cheap ($45 or so) and can be done yourself or by a local auto machine shop with a press. Might as well replace both sides and axle seals while you've got everything torn down that far.

If you replace the third, and the bearings, you could do all that with average tools and knowledge in your own garage. Would be way easier than swapping out the entire axle. Plus, a salvage axle even in great shape will need seals and bearings sooner than later... so you will be back where you are now eventually.

I'd bet you'd save a lot of money this way, probably enough to cover the cost of the locker... maybe even an ARB depending on what you have been quoted to repair. Just think, new bearings, seals, free locker and you'd be good to go for many, many more miles. A rear locker is a huge off road improvement to boot.

Last edited by Elvota; 10-03-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM deathcouger or go to www.nix99.com
Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
elvota's got a good idea there. If you're just looking to get it done cheap call local junkyards and look for a new third.

To figure out your gearing go to this site, and scroll down to gearing. It will help you decode the code on your drivers side door to tell you the gear ratio
Old 10-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MudMonkey
PM deathcouger or go to www.nix99.com
We are located in WA btw. Give us a call, and see what we can do for ya!