Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone use ITM or DNJ stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
While it sucks you had a belt break all companies have bad runs. To make a broad statement like the one you just made is not a good or accurate thing. DNJ are not bad parts. I and 100,000's or others have complete engines with DNJ and nothing has broke.

Please don't come one here and post something like this. This forum is for sharing your experience and you did that and that's fine. But to say stop driving you car with DNJ parts or it will fail is not what we are here for.

All parts will fail. I have had Chevy belts snap I got from the dealership after 5k miles. Stuff happens. DNJ makes fine parts. Some people will only buy Aisin or NGK, Toyota, etc. and that's fine. Look at the debate over Toyota head gaskets vs all other brands. I have owned 4 different Toyotas and done a head gasket on every 22re I have had. The only time I have ever had a failure was my fault and not the gasket manufacture and I have never used a Toyota head gasket.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Gunnells
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...9#post45033789

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm scowering the web posting to anyone asking about DNJ, the above post is another person who had the exact same problem I did, sadly I didn't find that post until after my belt snapped. I've also included a pic of my belt, looks just like the persons in that post

IF YOU USED DNJ PARTS STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY until you replace them! THEY WILL FAIL
Before you start blasting away at a part company, you should probably make sure that you aren't at fault first. Judging by the wear on that failed belt, it is clear to see that it was improperly aligned. Even the best parts in the world can't overcome lack of mechanical aptitude. And if your whole goal here is to "scour the web" just to bash a certain company because of your single experience or lack of expertise then you have come to the wrong place - YotaTech is a community focused toward helping others, not a place to put out false or misleading information about a company. You didn't even include an engine model or part number. In fact, the link you provided is in reference to a Subaru engine - we are a Toyota forum. I have built several Toyota engines with all kinds of DNJ parts (pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, seals, etc.) and after at least a quarter million miles on them, not one has failed so your broad "IF YOU USED DNJ PARTS STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY until you replace them! THEY WILL FAIL" statement is extremely false and misleading.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If DNJ parts were so poorly made and prone to early-failure, old-school pro's such as Ted from Engnbldr wouldn't promote their parts. They've dropped other suppliers in the past trying to find the highest quality stuff for a reasonable cost and landed on DNJ. I doubt that's a coincidence. The only part he won't use from them is the 22r chain tensioner out of the timing kit and he won't substitute any other aftermarket manufacturer's part either, only the Toyota one (made in Japan by OSK).

Him and his son have just built too many high-performance Toyota engines to let a low-quality company into their supply chain. Their business wouldn't still be around otherwise.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Alright guys last reply to this. I think we got trolled in to reading a possible DNJ competitors self promotion. Just doesn't make any sense otherwise. His related story isn't even about a Toyota.

We got trolled
Old 03-16-2017, 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=Benjamin Gunnells[/QUOTE]
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not trying to troll you folks one bit, and I didn't recommend another brand so that claim is asinine and short minded. If I was the only person with this issue you may have valid arguments against what I said but it's not just me.

Engine or vehicle doesn't really matter if a belt is poorly made for one car then it's poorly made for another, that's how manufacturing works. The only valid argument might be that their gaskets are ok as this was in reference to a belt AND a tensioner, I pulled the parts and the tensioner was leaking as well...but given the low quality I wouldn't trust anything from them, personally.

Trust me, if I suspected my skill I wouldn't make these claims but I don't so I do make the claim.

Glad you folks haven't had an issue, maybe those old school builds were before some manufacturer change, don't know, don't care because what I'm telling you is CURRENT information. Take it or leave it, seems you'd rather leave it...I tried to provide more than just one case to show I was being sincere, since posting this I have had other people confirm similar issues on DIFFERENT vehicles and similarly low quality on parts as well, including their engine kits. Use there parts at your own risk, I'll use parts that don't have a PROVEN track record of failure and being made with substandard quality, but that's MY car and I tend to listen when there is a problem not ignore it, but that's just me I guess.

Sorry that my attempts to offer valid, real world warning offends you all so much, trust me, this is my last post here as giving a warning to DNJ users was my only intention.

Last edited by Benjamin Gunnells; 03-16-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 AM

Do you see how it looks? First post is to tell people to stop driving their car if they use this brand parts. Maybe would have been better to say I and a few other people have had a problem with DNJ belts. Not sure if anyone else here has. If you have please share your story. DNJ makes almost all items for motors. I have a DNJ motor with a Toyota block basically. Runs like a watch. Had one in my last Toyota as well before I sold it.

Share your story. What rig were you running it in. Details like miles, motor, year of rig. Do you have a bad pulley? That belt has a lot of ware on it and looks like it's not brand new. Have you checked for play in your pulley systems. What is your wrenching experience. 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, are you a pro mechanic? It's stuff like this that will help lend more creditability to your statement.

Not trying to bash you but you presented no helpful information and said the sky was falling.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 AM

I also did a ton of internet "research" before my engine rebuild and read all the same horror stories. However, unlike you I didn't see a reason to avoid one particular aftermarket brand. No other manufacturer will make parts 100% identical to OEM, otherwise they'd hit the same price point and everyone would just buy OEM instead, or just not repair at all because those parts are so expensive.

Every single brand I read about included tragic stories of failure, and even new Toyota parts have failed. To my untrained eyes, it always looked like a mixture of manufacturing defects, assembly errors or worn out parts in play with the new stuff that failed.

For example, the general consensus on Fel-Pro gaskets across the board is positive. But search "Fel-Pro headgasket 22re" and you'll see another side. Would you post all over the internet that Fel-Pro should always be avoided in every engine?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Gunnells
Sorry that my attempts to offer valid, real world warning offends you all so much, trust me, this is my last post here as giving a warning to DNJ users was my only intention.
Your post became irrelevant when you neglected to mention anything about make and model and offered your "advice" as a fact because you are salty about your particular experience. It's one thing to express you opinion regarding an experience, but it's a whole different story when you impose that opinion upon others like you're the timing belt Czar - especially considering that I'm fairly certain that belt didn't come off of a Toyota and this is a Toyota forum... I would strongly suggest that you keep you word regarding this being your last post regarding this issue because if I see another post that utilizes the technique you used to express your displeasure in a product, you will be immediately banned from this forum. Otherwise, you may carry on in a positive manner if you so wish to do so.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which way is up?

We're using DNJ head gaskets but not sure which side faces up. There is no labels on gasket.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:15 PM

I don't remember if mine was labeled but I don't think the block is symmetrical. Try looking at some pictures with google images and I'm sure you will get it. It looks like there is a small oval type port in the gasket that goes on the passenger front side. I think it only fits one way.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Jennifer King
We're using DNJ head gaskets but not sure which side faces up. There is no labels on gasket.
Read the big thread, here
Old 10-02-2021, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsp4life
If DNJ parts were so poorly made and prone to early-failure, old-school pro's such as Ted from Engnbldr wouldn't promote their parts. They've dropped other suppliers in the past trying to find the highest quality stuff for a reasonable cost and landed on DNJ. I doubt that's a coincidence. The only part he won't use from them is the 22r chain tensioner out of the timing kit and he won't substitute any other aftermarket manufacturer's part either, only the Toyota one (made in Japan by OSK).

Him and his son have just built too many high-performance Toyota engines to let a low-quality company into their supply chain. Their business wouldn't still be around otherwise.
This is an old post, but I just want to write that DNJ timing set now includes the OSK tensioner.

I bought the heavy duty set with the metal guides.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dnj

DNJ is the kit that I used on a recent rebuild. Mine was missing the OSK tensioner (there was no tensioner in the kit) contacted the seller they took care of it and stated they had had problems with that that from DNJ before so if you buy the DNJ kit inventory it when it arrives instead of sitting it on a shelf to use in a few months when you get around to doing the rebuild..