YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Anyone use ITM or DNJ stuff? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/anyone-use-itm-dnj-stuff-273274/)

Vin4Runner 09-17-2013 10:35 PM

Anyone use ITM or DNJ stuff?

So after couple months of my 88 3.0 xtracab sitting in my garage with a bad head gasket(230000 miles) I noticed more and more fluids under the truck, mainly oil. Think its time I get to work on it since its leaking coolant and oil and steering fluid from who knows where. Checked rockauto and they sell a ITM engine gasket kit for only 3 dollars more than the ITM head gasket kit, and the DNJ full kit for 40 bucks more than teir HG kit, since its leaking from what seems to be everywhere now I figure a full gasket kit might be the better option(my garage floor soaked in oil). Anyone have any expierence with ITM or DNJ? Kinda dont wanna fork over more for the Fel-Pro kit if I dont need to.

Oil is still clean so is coolant, HG leaking externally, still driveable, no compression loss, no burning oil. May sell truck soon may build it up depending if I find a 1st gen 4runner where im moving to, cant afford new engine or engine swap.

Vin4Runner 09-17-2013 10:47 PM

Im also looking at the LCE and Engnbuilder kits, anyone know who makes their gaskets?

kawazx636 09-18-2013 04:40 AM

I used DNJ gaskets for my 22R. I have yet to start it since I am currently building my truck, but I've built dozens of engines before and I know good gaskets when I see them. The DNJ kit has very good, high quality gaskets (or at least the 22R kit does). DNJ is also the brand that Ted from Engnbldr sells with his rebuild kits. I have no experience with ITM and my experiences with Fel-Pro are not good. Personally, I feel that Fel-Pro sells the worst gaskets on the market.

gennro 09-18-2013 04:43 AM

I used DNJ parts on my 22r rebuild also, works as advertised.

MudHippy 09-18-2013 06:58 AM

I recommend the DNJ head gaskets all the time. That's what I have on my 88 3VZ-E. It also has ITM pistons and wrist pins. No problems with any of it.

big bear 09-18-2013 07:23 AM

ITM is garbage !!

MudHippy 09-18-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by big bear (Post 52119676)
ITM is garbage !!

I'm curious why you'd say that. Care to elaborate?

Vin4Runner 09-18-2013 10:38 PM

I always heard fel-pro makes good stuff. Ill have to check if they offer the MLS gaskets

Leonide 09-19-2013 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by kawazx636 (Post 52119605)
I used DNJ gaskets for my 22R. I have yet to start it since I am currently building my truck, but I've built dozens of engines before and I know good gaskets when I see them. The DNJ kit has very good, high quality gaskets (or at least the 22R kit does). DNJ is also the brand that Ted from Engnbldr sells with his rebuild kits. I have no experience with ITM and my experiences with Fel-Pro are not good. Personally, I feel that Fel-Pro sells the worst gaskets on the market.

i'm using a Fel-pro top end gasket set (including head gasket) on my 22RE after it overheated (warped the head, had to get it planed). the gaskets are holding up after about 3/4 months of driving back and forth to work, which consists of across town driving at 65+ MPH. plenty of power still, i can even get the rear tires loose every now and then. Fel-pro isn't that bad, but the Toyota gasket from the dealer is obviously the best one.

on topic: if Ted from Enginebldr uses DNJ, i would generally trust his choices. he knows what he's doing when rebuilding. if you want to, you can find him on the forums here and PM him with a few questions. he does have stuff for 3.slow engines.

MudHippy 09-19-2013 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vin4Runner (Post 52120067)
Ill have to check if they offer the MLS gaskets

They don't. But unless you plan on having the heads and the block resurfaced, they would be a very poor choice. Even if you do resurface everything, the surface finish needs to be extremely smooth.

I would definitely not go with the current OEM brand of head gaskets. Which are upside down, IMO. And neither would Ted, I wouldn't imagine. Since he most likely shares my opinion on that.

big bear 09-19-2013 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy (Post 52119726)

Their HGs are upside down and backwards.
Read a few threads about them blowing out within a years time on toyotanation.

big bear 02-14-2014 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy (Post 52119726)

Why do you defend Chinese knock offs ?

For instance the plenum gasket from ITM is only paper, very thin.
The same gasket from Fel-Pro is 3 times thicker.

big bear 02-14-2014 02:58 PM

My valve covers started leaking last month. No wonder, the gaskets are already hard as a rock, after 7 months.

bluejeans 02-12-2017 08:05 AM

How are the bearing from DNJ?

thefishguy77 02-12-2017 11:06 AM

I have a fully rebuilt 22re I did myself from teds kit. DNJ parts on the bottom end as one of his pre-assembled heads with cam. About 5k on the motor now and all is great.

Co_94_PU 02-12-2017 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bluejeans (Post 52352882)
How are the bearing from DNJ?

Which bearing specifically are you wondering about? I have no new input but it can/could make a big difference to know which you are interested in.

bluejeans 02-12-2017 05:27 PM

Crankshaft, rod, and thrust bearings

millball 02-12-2017 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by bluejeans (Post 52352947)
Crankshaft, rod, and thrust bearings

Go on Ebay and buy some King brand bearings. They are good as any. Shop for price.

gsp4life 02-12-2017 08:52 PM

The machine shop I ordered my bearings from got Federal Mogul mains and thrust washers and dnj rod bearings. Only 4000 miles in so I can't comment on longevity, but the engine runs really smooth with no knocking or other bad noises and no visable metal in the oil changes. The first rod bearings they supplied had the oiling hole on the wrong side. The dnj ones lined up right and fit well. They also make way oversized (+.030) if you need like I did.

Benjamin Gunnells 03-15-2017 05:49 PM

Do not use dnj

1 Attachment(s)
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...9#post45033789

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm scowering the web posting to anyone asking about DNJ, the above post is another person who had the exact same problem I did, sadly I didn't find that post until after my belt snapped. I've also included a pic of my belt, looks just like the persons in that post

IF YOU USED DNJ PARTS STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY until you replace them! THEY WILL FAIL