86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Annoying Rattle on 93 P/U

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying Rattle on 93 P/U

I have a 1993 Pickup, Ive replaced the timing chain and have a brand new exaust. There is a super annoying rattle coming from somewhere that I have yet to locate. The rattle doesnt sound internal, its a sound I could compare to a loose exaust clamp rattling on the hollow exaust pipe. But its not this, I only have 1 clamp in my system and its tight. Anyone else have had this annoying rattle? I could here it most, say when I'm going up a hill in a higher RPM. The funny thing is i had it on my other 1987 pickup too.

any thoughts appreciated
Old 11-20-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think i know exactly what you're talking about. an intermittant rattle on the driver's side of the truck in the engine bay, right?

i've got this, and unfortunately i haven't been able to figure it out yet doesn't seem like anything major though.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:06 AM

Exactly, its somewheres in the engine bay and the most annoying thing you can imagine. I put quiet exaust back on my truck because i was tired of the LCE cat back and i was hoping, "hey my trucks gonna be quiet now". Now i have this rattle thats louder than the stock exaust. i hope somebody chimes in!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
loose heat sheild?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:51 AM

like snap-on says. On my 92Runner I had a noise just like it. turned out to be the driver side heat shield tapping on the brake line.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:51 AM

This is a bit away from the area, but if it's kinda speed dependent, check the u-joints. If nothing else, just grease them. I can't tell you how many people's yota's have squeling or clinking u-joints.
just another thing to try........
Old 11-20-2005, 12:26 PM

ill go and try those heat sheilds, its def not a u-joint noise, its a very free rattleing noise.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:00 PM
myk

have the same noise as of yesterday. I know my headgaskets out and im burning oil to the point where im low, i think it could be the rockers, or something in the head. I only get that sound when the engines under load. Ganna change out my headgasket soon, we'll see what that reveals.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 AM

I would go with the heat shield first. I also have an LCE header and cat back system and have an annoying rattle. Mine seems to be the first section of pipe after the header. The one with the O2 sensor in it rubbing against the torsion bar mount under the cab. I have ground away some of it. (didnt want to get carried away) It has helped. I think I just need another quarter inch to stop it completely. Just a thought.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:58 PM

I may not be understanding your noise correctly but my 91 v6 made a rattling noise every morning when i started it up and continued for about 10 minutes I could never get a mechanic to hear the noise because it would not be there after it seemed to warm up. and after about 6 months of this happening i took off from a stop sign and tons of white smoke came from under my hood and i had lost so much engine power but everything else seemed to b working fine so I had it towed to toyota the next day only to find it was my powersteering pulley had froze up due to bad bearing (the rattliing noise) and the belt continued to spin on the frozen pulley (all the white smoke coming from under the hood) no big deal. this may not be your problem just a thought.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:09 PM

Check your intake boots, hoses, etc. Make sure all is tight and nothing is rubbing on anthing else. I used to get a low rattling/rumbling sound above 3500rpm in my old Toyota and it was due to part of the intake rattling and rubbing on another part of the engine.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:53 PM

I'm having/had the same thing. Here's what fixed me up:

Round One:
Initially I thought it was my K&N aftermarket intake. The guy I bought the rig from was NOT a mech and just jammed it in there with no support for the filter so it would just wobble and rattle all over the place. The plastic plenum forward of the filter (some kind of emissions requirement I don't understand) rattled itself right into the belts and melted a hole in it. I secured all this with custom clamps.

Still the rattle persisted. It was most noticable on fast rough downhills, while not under power (i.e. basically coasting.)

Round Two:
Replace the CV half on drivers side since its had a busted boot since I bought the rig (94 Runner.) Also replaced lower BJ. Both were hammered; figgered this one was in the bag. Took it down the hill - still rattles.

Round Three:
Started banging around on the steering column - just grab the bastard and shake hell out of it. Hmmmm, thats the same rattle I'm hearing on the hills... Turns out its the steering driveline universal joints. They flop around like hell. I couldn't find replacement parts at Autozone so whaddya do???
For now, I took one of my old wetsuits (1/4" neoprene) and wrapped the joints (theres two - one in the engine compartment and one under the dash)
with the neoprene and ziptied the whole burrito. This allows full range of motion in all the planes, is flexible and best of all, it pretty much killed the noise (wait, no, best of all it was free.)

Next job is to hit Toyota up for the OEM part and see what the damage will be for a new set. They looked at the ones in place on my rig when they did up my steering relay rod replacement and said my u-joints were fine as is. Maybe I should just leave it...

Anybody else had similar experince?
-shano
Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by brendonv
I have a 1993 Pickup, Ive replaced the timing chain and have a brand new exaust. There is a super annoying rattle coming from somewhere that I have yet to locate. The rattle doesnt sound internal, its a sound I could compare to a loose exaust clamp rattling on the hollow exaust pipe. But its not this, I only have 1 clamp in my system and its tight.
if you haven't found it yet, return to the exhaust. i know you have only one clamp, i did too. my rattle only occured as the rpm's were up near 3K, prior to a normal shift in town. it was the pipe rattling inside of the other at the clamp (clamp was tight but the fit between the two pipes wasn't tight enough). and it sounds exactly like a heat shield is loose. i was only able to isolate the noise by driving with the window down and hanging halfway out. bit chilly.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:18 PM

I had a rattling noise on my 1991 Pickup 22re/4speed which I fixed with tightening all of the bolts near the exhaust manifold. I also discovered that the exhaust manifold was missing a bolt where it connects to the rest of the exhaust system. I got an extra one at the dealership and tightened it on. I have not heard the rattling since!

HTH,
Chris