Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Air Idle Control valve - power steering

Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Air Idle Control valve - power steering

So I just replaced a faulty valve on my power steering pump that was allowing the PS fluid to get sucked into the intake plenum. The valve I'm talking about can be seen in this thread here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-valve-148525/

The replacement valve I have seems to be an older one as its made of metal and not plastic like the one that was on there. Its there a way to tell which vacuum hose goes on what port? The ports(the two prongs on the end of the valve) look exactly the same except one is a more brass colour and the other is bare metal (silver). Any one have any ideas? Its a '92 3VZE.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think it matters which hose goes where.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm pretty sure Marc is correct. that idle-up valve is just a "switch" that allows more air into the plenum to increase idle when the PS pump reaches a certain pressure. So it shouldn't matter which way the air goes through the "switch."
Old 01-28-2011, 04:39 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies, I was concerned that if they were not connected correctly I would cause damage. So basically its its loop that will open when it needs to, worst case scenario I can try it both ways now that I know It won't cause damage.
Cheers!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advise, six months tryng to find leak @ ps, had 4 quarts of excess fluid in motor. after reading this thread I changed the valve, replaced motor oil and for the first time in six months ps fluid was not lost. (obiously fluid was getting sucked from intake and ended in motor).
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by josegllamas
Thanks for the advise, six months tryng to find leak @ ps, had 4 quarts of excess fluid in motor. after reading this thread I changed the valve, replaced motor oil and for the first time in six months ps fluid was not lost. (obiously fluid was getting sucked from intake and ended in motor).
Is this even possible? If the PS fluid is getting sucked into the plenum, it will just go through the intake and get burned up.

Possibly a bad PCV valve, letting the fluid get into the engine oil through the valve cover? That's the only way I can think of PS fluid getting into the oil.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Is the pcv valve suposed to be right next to the motor oil filler cap? I just have a hose conected to the valve cover through a little pipe sticking out of the cover. (so far the ps fluid it's ok ) Is it possible that this truck do not have pcv?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Not tryin to thread jack but I recently replaced that same valve on my pump for the 3.slow and now power steering is none exsistant. I put a new pump on and had to cap that hole off until the valve showed up. It worked while it was capped off, not great but it worked. Now that the new valve is on it doesn't work at all and fluid leaks all down the motor. Any idea what the hell possessed my pump? Or something else maye?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by josegllamas
Is the pcv valve suposed to be right next to the motor oil filler cap? I just have a hose conected to the valve cover through a little pipe sticking out of the cover. (so far the ps fluid it's ok ) Is it possible that this truck do not have pcv?
The PCV valve is on the passenger side valve cover, underneath the plenum. You can't really see it. The hose from the PCV valve hooks up the the plenum. What I was wondering was if the fluid was being sucked into the plenum (through the vacuum line), and then passing through the hose to the PCV valve (the wrong direction). I just don't understand how the PS fluid could get into the engine oil. Anyone else have any theories?

Originally Posted by 90veezee3
Not tryin to thread jack but I recently replaced that same valve on my pump for the 3.slow and now power steering is none exsistant. I put a new pump on and had to cap that hole off until the valve showed up. It worked while it was capped off, not great but it worked. Now that the new valve is on it doesn't work at all and fluid leaks all down the motor. Any idea what the hell possessed my pump? Or something else maye?
The VSV should not effect the operation of the pump. I have never needed to install a new pump, but I would think there would be a bleeding/priming procedure? Something is up with your pump, but I can for sure say it is not the VSV that is causing the problem.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 PM

hey pwd, where did you order that part? and do you remember how much was it? I think I have to replace it because I am missing PS fluid but cant see any leaks...thank you
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jstluise
The VSV should not effect the operation of the pump. I have never needed to install a new pump, but I would think there would be a bleeding/priming procedure? Something is up with your pump, but I can for sure say it is not the VSV that is causing the problem.
actually... it does...
I had that little vsv go bad on my pump... it affected both the power steering, and power brake assist. Every time I would hit the brakes, the ps pump would start whining terribly, and I would loose all power steering, also lost all power braking, let off brakes, and the power steering came back... took me a while to figure out what the problem was, but when I replaced that little valve, everything was kosher again.....