Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 PU Empty clutch master cylinder.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 PU Empty clutch master cylinder.

So I first noticed my clutch pedal becoming very easy to press with no resistance.

I left it for a few days thinking I was being paranoid.

Decided to check the clutch master cylinder and found this...

93 PU Empty clutch master cylinder.-oimbgzr.jpg

Since there is a bunch of sludge and possible air in the master cylinder, is it possible to leave everything attached to the truck and just flush it out with fresh fluid?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yes it's possible to flush it out, but personally i'd just spend the money and buy a new master and slave cylinder out of age of original parts - around $50-60 for both. sometimes the internal seals go bad, which may be your cause of sludge?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:18 AM

Yes could be.

I don't think that this has been looked at in years so i'm going to take the cheap route and try flushing it as i'm a student on a budget.

I'll be keeping an eye on it in the future.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
understandable. yeah, usually when your brakes and clutch are acting fine, people don't service them. but if your pressure doesn't come back, i'd swap both out. good luck
Old 09-03-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did a master/slave cyl swap on my 4Runner, its a PITA but the clutch is solid. They were very cheap from AutoZone, but the first one we got was defective. Definitely flush as well, don't want it getting into your new system
Old 09-03-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do yourself a favor and purchase an Aisin master & slave cylinder online before you have a complete failure. Get a clutch hose too, they can cause trouble in a hydraulic system and have definitely given a few on this site trouble. When the hose gets old it'll expand a little when you step on the pedal. That slight ballooning action decreases hydraulic pressure and it won't allow full clutch movement. You can find what you need at http://www.aisinaftermarket.com/English/Catalog.php then do some price comparisons.

Here's why you should purchase the parts before you have a complete failure:
Toyota installed an Aisin brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, cluch slave cylinder, brake wheel cylinders, as well as many other Aisin parts while your vehicle was being built. Think of how long they have lasted and the miles on them. In some cases the online price is comparable to what the local parts stores want for normally generic parts.

If your clutch master or slave fails and it's your only vehicle you'll likely need to get it replaced FAST. That usually means generic China parts from a local parts store. Don't be fooled by the "Lifetime Warranty". If you do some research on this site you'll see a TON of out of the box failures and failures soon after that with those parts.

Another thing to think about is that if you can't shift it and you don't have towing on your insurance or there's nobody close by that can tow you,
it will likely cost you at least the price of the parts to have it towed back.

Then you still have to purchase parts to fix it

Last edited by Odin; 09-04-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:27 PM

amazon for aisin

Originally Posted by Odin
Do yourself a favor and purchase an Aisin master & slave cylinder online before you have a complete failure. Get a clutch hose too, they can cause trouble in a hydraulic system and have definitely given a few on this site trouble. When the hose gets old it'll expand a little when you step on the pedal. That slight ballooning action decreases hydraulic pressure and it won't allow full clutch movement. You can find what you need at http://www.aisinaftermarket.com/English/Catalog.php then do some price comparisons.

Here's why you should purchase the parts before you have a complete failure:
Toyota installed an Aisin brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, cluch slave cylinder, brake wheel cylinders, as well as many other Aisin parts while your vehicle was being built. Think of how long they have lasted and the miles on them. In some cases the online price is comparable to what the local parts stores want for normally generic parts.

If your clutch master or slave fails and it's your only vehicle you'll likely need to get it replaced FAST. That usually means generic China parts from a local parts store. Don't be fooled by the "Lifetime Warranty". If you do some research on this site and you'll see a TON of out of the box failures and failures soon after that with those parts.

Another thing to think about is that if you can't shift it and you don't have towing on your insurance or there's nobody close by that can tow you, it will likely cost you at least the price of the parts to have it towed back.

Then you still have to purchase parts to fix it

$50 free shipping for a new aisin master and slave for my 83 from amazon. Your year hydraulics are cheaper I believe. Check it out. So worth it to just replace and not worry

Last edited by Shaun Crystal Gomban; 09-03-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: edit
Old 09-04-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have one Question ??

Just where did your Fluid go ??

What do you think is going to happen to the fresh Fluid??

Buy a gallon of #3 Brake fluid it might be enough to get you home.

Ok I lied 2 questions
Old 09-04-2015, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Check your floor board behind the clutch pedal. When the Master Cylinder leaks, it leaks to the inside of the cab. I would have my Master and Slave Cylinders with me before starting the job. Once you start messing with them, as old as they are and as corrisive as brake fluid is, they will start leaking.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Listen to the good advice being given here and replace both the M/C ad slave cylinder with Aisin parts now to avoid any trouble down the road. The brake fluid didn't just evaporate, something is leaking. It is just good common sense to replace them both at the same time. It's not that hard to replace them.