Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 pickup needs mudflaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 pickup needs mudflaps

Hello everyone this is my first post on yotatech.
I need to get some mudflaps on my 92 pickup. I have 33x12.50 tires on it. I want factory if possible but I'm not sure they will cover all of the mud and gravel I throw up on the side of the truck. I have been searching through the threads and haven't found anything that touches on oversize wheels and accomodating mud flaps. If anyone can help I will certainly appreciate it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Mud flaps won't do much. I have them with 31x10.50x15 and they don't do anything. Look into fender flares.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
They are not heavy, long, and wide enough.

You could move them outwards some by fabing a bracket extension. That only solves part of one problem however.

You can sandwich some 1x12" steel strips along the bottom to increase the weight and get a few more MPH out of them.

You can bolt the same 1x12" material down them vertically, attached at the bracket and bottom. Combine this with the strip along the bottom gives the most stiffening.

You can source larger ones or fab them.

Measure along the bottom edge of the wheel well from the front to the top of the flap mount, write that down.

Lay a board or string from the bottom of the tire to the rear section of the body(or front of the rear wheel well when doing the fronts. Measure down from the flap mounts until you intersect this line, write that down.

Source a heavy to medium thickness rubber sheet (mcmaster carr, or similar). You want a length atleast as long as the wheel well + two times the flap measurements. (eg 4ft + 1ft + 1ft), and a width atleast 1/2 inch wider than the tires.

Find and mark the center with a piece of white chaulk. Place a mark along the center line at each end the distance for the flap mounts. Extend this line to the left on one end and the right on the other so you have an h pattern.

Remove the screws holding the inner fender(plastic piece) to the bed and fender. (You might need some help here to handle the rubber) Place the "h" shaped mounts at the flap mounts and drill punch or awl(ice pick) the holes for the bracket, then bolt them down. Work your way forward holding the rubber to the wheel well and using an awl(from the inside of the fender) mark the location for the next screw. You can put the screws in from the backside where the plastic clips stay with the inner fender, or the front side whenthey stay with the outter fender.

Once you have all these holes and screws inplace remove them all and re attach the inner fender to the body. Now on the fender rim attach both the new extended mud flap and the inner fender(You may need longer screws depending on the rubber thickness) using the screws and inner fender retaining tabs and larger new fender washers.

Undo the the factory flap brackets, add a 1inch wide strip of 1/8-1/4 inch steel to the outer most hole that extends down to the bottom of the flap. (You'll be offroading I imagine so afix it to the back of the upper bracket with a finger/wing-nut, and again 1-2" lower with a fender washer and bullet-head nut on the face side. This way you can disconnect the stiffener and tie up the flaps or let them move freely when in deep mud. Paint these if you want or buy them in chrome). Now at the bottom at the cross piece stiffener sandwiching the vertical brace, again chrome or paint these.

Now you might be thinking holy crap thats ugly, so source some fender flare addons or custom fab your flares. And you have the inner liners all ready made and just need to afix them along the new flared wheel well rim.

Hopefully that all made since and you find benificial. And if not meh it was a fun exercise in creative fabbing You can just extend your brackets and get fatter/wider flaps but it only solves some of the problems.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM

P.S. there is a section of the US federal motor vehicle safety code that covers mud flaps and fenders. I don't recall the limits it's water spray at some height and distance. To accomidate this you'd need to move the string/board to this point instead of the rear of the body when doing the rear flaps. eg they may need to extend longer than I explained to be fully "safe". But you only asked about keeping stuff off yours not the guy behind you.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
P.S. there is a section of the US federal motor vehicle safety code that covers mud flaps and fenders. I don't recall the limits it's water spray at some height and distance. To accomidate this you'd need to move the string/board to this point instead of the rear of the body when doing the rear flaps. eg they may need to extend longer than I explained to be fully "safe". But you only asked about keeping stuff off yours not the guy behind you.
I wouldn't worry nearly as much about federal codes as I would your local laws. Here, flaps have to be to the center of the tire and as wide as the tread... most stock trucks won't meet that.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM

They meet that when they left the factory, thats actually part of the FMVS or DOT standards also, It's not uncommon for dealerships to swap on fancier tires and disregard those because they're not part of those regulation or standards body.

Anyways my method will far surpass both generally. Since they don't take into account wind drag when the vehicle is moving
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Actually, I think the FMVSS is silent as to mudflaps and fenders. The FMCSA has regulations concerning this, but those rules aren't applicable to passenger vehicles. In short, your local and state laws are the only thing you need to worry about.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 PM

http://www.jonesindustrialsales.com/..._Laws_NETA.pdf
Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 PM

9 out of 50(?) don't have something say. Thank you sir, seems pretty comprehensive.

I read too much crap to remeber where it all comes from sometimes. It's SAE J682, which I'm not paying to read and don't care enough to look for it for free.